Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

English for meetings and emails

Hello,
What is the best way to learn business english for meetings and emails?
Thank you

Comments

• takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭✭
    @Achraf
    How about writing a make-believe email and having it corrected by someone with better English?

First, you set the stage, and then you write a make-believe email.

Situation:
    You’re a salesperson. You got a call from one of your customers saying that a product that he received the other day is constantly making a weird noise. He wants to know if it’s okay to keep using it, or if he should send it back to your factory. You’re about to ask one of your mechanics about the issue via email.

Your email
    (....)
  • AchrafAchraf Posts: 18 ✭✭
    @takafromtokyo
    Thank you for your feedback.
    Find below my proposal:

Hello X,
    I have already received a reclamation from the customer Y, they have an issue in the hardware of the product z. The problem is that it generates a weird noise!
    They want to know if they can keep it as it is, or send it back to our departement for diagnosis.
    Thank you
    Best regards,
    Achraf
    @Achraf
    Wow! I think you did a great job in writing a make-believe email to our mechanics. I don’t think we need to make big corrections on it overall. Unfortunately, I’m not a native English speaker, so we’ll just have to try changing words and phrases to find a better version.

I think you don’t have to use “have already received”, instead I think we can simply write “I received”.

Customers may give us a complaint, not a reclamation.

So, here’s my revision based on your original email.

Hello X,
    I received a complaint from our customer Y. They claim that they have an issue in the hardware of our product Z. The problem they say is that it generates a weird noise!
    They want to know if they can keep it as it is, or send it back to our department for diagnosis.
    Thank you
    Best regards,
    Achraf

@mheredge
    Achraf and I am trying to write business emails for practice. We would be glad if you could give us any advice.
    @Achraf @mheredge

Next, let’s pretend that we are the mechanics at the Engineering Department. The product Z has been just released a month ago. The previous models all used mineral oil based lubricants on the bearing system. But the product Z was designed to use the newly developed fluorine based lubricants instead. As a mechanic, you have a feeling that the problem is in those fluorine based lubricants, but you need to actually see the product and examine it to confirm it. The department has been receiving over 10 similar complaints already since its release.

Now, let’s write a response to the salesperson.
    (.....)
  • AchrafAchraf Posts: 18 ✭✭
    @takafromtokyo
    I'm glad to receive your comment. Thank you for your collaboration.

Hello,
    it's most probably that the issue comes from the lubrificant used since we received over 10 similar complaints. This product has been released last mounth, and it's not like the previous models. This latter used miniral oil based lubrificants on the bearing system. But the product Z was designed to use the newly developed fluorine based lubricant instead. Besides, it's mentionned in its technical reference.
    So we propose to return it back in order to confirm the root cause.
    Best regards,