Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What’s your plan for today?

takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭✭
Share your plan for today with us!
(Of course, it’s totally okay to write about your plans for the week, or the month, or the year, or in any future)

Comments

• takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, guys!
    I’m going to take my wife and my mother-in-law to a mountain climbing in Yamanashi prefecture today. It should be about a 2-hour drive from my house. and the climb will take us about an hour and a half to get to the top. I’m already excited to eat rice balls that I’ve made for the trip at the top of the mountain!(๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
    Just reached the parking lot near the foot of the mountain. Got to go to the bathroom before start climbing!
    ヾ(๑╹◡╹)ノ"
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,669 mod
    Enjoy your journey with your relatives. :) @takafromtokyo
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,110 mod
    My plan for today is to crack on and try to write as many itineraries for treks in Nepal as possible. I have been sent around a hundred to research and rewrite!
    @mheredge
    What does “crack on” mean in this case?
    Here’s the report of what happened to our trail trekking yesterday.

We arrived at a parking lot closest to the foot of the mountain. We googled to check out how long it would take to the top, and learned that it should be about an hour and half. So, we checked our equipment for one last time and started walking along the path. Shortly after that, we found a sing that said “Mt Hinata, 50 minutes”, and we were like “hmm.. it seems like easier than we’d thought it might be”, and we entered the trail. But right after we went in, the trail became so steep. We had to stop from time to time to gather our strength to move on. “This mountain is going to be a tough one”, we said to each other as we moved along.

After nearly an hour-walk, we came to a little open area. Several people were there with their leisure sheets spreaded. We were all exhausted, but at last we’d reached the top, I thought. But then I noticed something weird. We’d come to this mountain to see its unusual sight, which the top of the mountain should be covered with all these beautiful white sands, which we couldn’t find there at all.

I asked to a man seated in front of a sign where all the white sands were, and I couldn’t believe what he told me. He told me that we were now at the entrance of the trail to the top, and said that it was going to take us an hour and 40 minutes from where we were. What?? Are you serious? Then what was all that an hour walk of the steep trail?

We had to laugh. We gathered up our strength once again and headed for the top, but eventually had to give up at halfway because the Sun was fast setting.

After we came down, we learned that most people take a different much easier route, which takes trekkers to the white sands almost from the beginning of the trail. Well..maybe next time!!
    I’m going to Okutama with my wife today to look at leaves of red and and yellow. Right now, I’m searching for a good soba shop in Okutama.

@mheredge @Deucalion @lisa @GemmaRowlands @Paulette @Practical_Severard @Hermine @kindgnice

Everyone?
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,669 mod

I’m going to Okutama with my wife today to look at leaves of red and and yellow. Right now, I’m searching for a good soba shop in Okutama.

Everyone?

Ohayo gozaimasu Taka-san. :)
    Hmm, probably I will go to supermarket later to buy milk, bread, and banana. :)
    In Japanese, ato wa suupaa de gyunyu to pan to banana o kaimasu? :)
    LOL, I am not sure though with my translation... :D
    @kindgnice
    Wow! Your Japanese is almost perfect. I would say “ato de 〜” , so “de” instead of “wa”.

Have fun shopping!
    To crack on means to make good progress or proceed quickly with something @takafromtokyo.

I am cracking my whip to get going. Self flagellation!

@mheredge
    Thanks for the explanation.
    I need to crack on with writing responses and comments in the forum. I’m a bit behind now.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today, as a family, we are all together to say goodbye to the little girl, the lastborn, who did not get the chance to live, but now it is a star in heaven.
  • jasminjasmin Posts: 41 ✭✭
    I plan to study tonight in preparation for my upcoming exam next month.
    @jasmin
    Good luck with your exam!
    Thanks @takafromtokyo , by the way what is soba?
    @jasmin
    Sobs is a kind of traditional noodles in Japan. It’s made from buckwheat. I’ve learned a while ago that people around the world don’t really eat buckwheat.

Do people in your country eat buckwheat?

Here’s a video to show you what soba looks like.

Today, I'm going to send several items that I've been borrowing since I made a contract of IP phone a few years ago.

Now that we all use smartphones or a cellphone in my family, and also we don't usually get phone calls to IP phone number, we've decided it's about time we quitted it and gave the phone and TA terminal back.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @takafromtokyo that is a good idea so I think you can save money because here in Belgium you must pay for the different apparatuses that you are using.
    @takafromtokyo Oh, i've seen the video and it looks like a pasta. But I have never tried it, so you've introduce something that i'll try. I eat rice and udon noodles though. I like my noodles hot.
    @jasmin
    Where are you from? Have I asked you this before? Where do you usually get udon noodles or rice?
    @takafromtokyo I frequently get noodles from restaurants. I am from Philippines.
    @takafromtokyo thanks for the video! The only thing she didn't say was what is in the dipping sauce. How is this made?
    @jasmin
    Oh, you’re from the Philippines, I see. Then, no wonder you’re familiar with udon noodles. Do you eat udon noodles at a Japanese restaurant?
    @mheredge
    Soba dipping sauce usually should be made from soy sauce and dashi-broth from bonito in most cases. Sometimes dashi-broth comes from sea kelp, or bonito and sea kelp combination. When we cook and eat in the house, we usually use pre-cooked soba dipping sauce. You can easily find one at grocery stores.

By the way, I thought the lady in the video spoke good English. I want to be able to speak English at least at that level. That’s one of my goals.
    @mheredge
    Soba dipping sauce usually should be made from soy sauce and dashi-broth from bonito in most cases. Sometimes dashi-broth comes from sea kelp, or bonito and sea kelp combination. When we cook and eat in the house, we usually use pre-cooked soba dipping sauce. You can easily find one at grocery stores.

By the way, I thought the lady in the video spoke good English. I want to be able to speak English at least at that level. That’s one of my goals.
    I think the soba bar was in the US and she probably has been living there a long time @takafromtokyo. I might cook up some noodles for dinner tonight.
    @mheredge
    Are you going to cook some spaghetti?
    I have some udon noodles @takafromtokyo and probably sacrilege, I made some seafood soup from a pack of ingredients from the Cambodian supermarket (Vietnamese soup kit) and added the noodles to this. It was very good.