Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

The weakened sense of community in our cites and the solutions

One disturbing trend nowadays is the weakened sense of community in our cities. The two principal causes for this are in my view how our schools and shopping habits have changed. In this essay I discuss these problems and also how they might be solved to eusure we once again know our neighbours.

There is a clear connection between education and community. In the past people got to know their neighbours through their children and formed closed bonds by watching them play sport together or just helping out with childcare. Unfortunately, this connection has been broken by allowing children to go any school and not the one in the neighbourhood with the effect that local children do not necessarily go to the same school. The easier solution to this problem would simply be to make sure children went to the local school in their district.

The change of shopping habits has also had a profound effect on community realtions in our cities. In the past people would shop at their local market or main street, but they now increasingly use supermarkets that are located on the edge of cities. This means people no longer meet people who live in the neighbourhood and it has also led to a loss of community identity. The best way to solve this problem would be for the government to raise taxation on the large supermarkets and reduce it to local businesses in order to bring back the local markets and shops.

In conclusion, I believe the best way for the government to address the problem of loss of community spirit in the cities would be to introduce measures that encouraged people to educate their children locally and to help local businesses and shops to inflourish.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    Often older cities have well developed neighbourhoods where community feeling is still quite strong @lisa. However in bigger, newer cities where a lot of people have moved in fairly recently, then this is lacking.
  • lisalisa Posts: 406 ✭✭
    @mheredge It is a sad topic in fact. One of my grand-aunt ,who is the aunt of my aunt, was discovered when she passed away several days later. Her husband has passed away a few years ago and her body was eroded and ugly smell was full of her house. She lived by herself , and I do not know why she was reluctant to live with her children, because my aunt told me her children asked her several times to live with them together. Most Chinese older people do not want to the welfare organizations to spend their last years, in the rural villages , almost all the neighbors are familiar with each other, but in the cities, people come and leave, even neighbors do not know each other.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    That's very sad @lisa. My mother too, is very independent and does not want to move in with my sister. My sister contacts my mother every few days and lives ten minutes away but I am not sure the neighbours in the small block of apartments know each other all that well.
  • lisalisa Posts: 406 ✭✭
    @mherege I think almost all the neighbours know each other well in countryside, so my parents prefer to live in countryside istead of living in the city, I think, but most of elder people do not have other choices except moving to the cities and living together with their children when they are too old to move, because they need to be cared.