Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

The environmental problems and the measures we should take to address these problems

lisalisa Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
Humans are responsible for a variety of environmental problems, but we can also take steps to reduce the damage that we are causing to the planet. This essay will discuss environmental problems and the measures that governments and individuals can take to address these problems.

Two of the biggest threats to the environment are air pollution and waste. Gas emissions from factories and exhaust fumes from vehicles lead to global warming, which may have a devastating effect on the planet in the future. As human population increases, we are producing ever greater quantities of waste, which contaminates the earth and pollutes the rivers and oceans.

Governments could certainly make more effort to reduce air pollution. They can introduce laws to limit emissions from factories or to force companies to use renewable energy from solar, wind or water power. They can also impose "green taxes" on drivers and airline companies. In this way, people would be encouraged to take public transport and to take fewer flights abroad, therefore reducing emissions.

Individuals should aslo take responsibilities for the impact they have on the environment. They can take public transport rather than driving, choose products with less packaging, and recycle as much as possible. Most supermarkets now provide reusable bags to shoopers as well as "banks" to recycle glass, plastic and paper in their car parks. By reusing and recycling, we can help to reduce waste.

In conclusion, both national governments and individuals must play their part in looking after the environment.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,060 mod
    It's always about money. Good waste management, stopping pollution all cost money and sadly too many people only care about the present and not how carelessness about the environment will affect people in the future @lisa.
  • lisalisa Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge Onece I talked with one of my former colleagues in Libya, my question was: The solar energy is rich in your country, why not using this kind of energy to produce electricity? The fuel material is not reproducible, how your children or your grandchidlren continue their lives? He said: God will bless them!!!
    In France now the government is encouraging people to install solar panels as especially in the south, there is a lot of sun @lisa. Even in a cooler country like Britain it can make a difference.
    edited November 2017
    @mheredge All goverments should encourage their residents to use new-energy euipments, and I think the goverments should subsidise the people to encourage them to install the equipments.
    They are very keen on this in France @lisa and even give financial incentives to install solar panels in the region I live in. If I had my own house and didn't live in a heritage building, I would definitely have solar panels on my roof.
    Yes, that is the obvious problem. Some people do not own their apartments, or their houses are historical or cultural ones, which are not suitable for installing solar panels.