Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Should the artists sacrifice their private lives for art?

lisalisa Posts: 406 ✭✭
One famous dancing artist in China whose name is Liping Yang, and she is very good at pavane. Of course, she has to be very slim to dance well. In order to keep slim, she never eats rice because the heat volume of every 100g rice is 116kc, which needs to do at least 45 minutes aerobic exercises to absorb it. To keep slim or good bodytype, she moved some of her ribs, maybe which could make her be more similar with a peacock when she was dancing. She performed pavane during one year's Spring Festival performance, I can not remember the exact year, and it can not be googled because of the wobbly internet. Do you think her actions are excessive? By the way, she and her husband do not any children because she was worried her bodytype would be damaged if she gave birth to a child.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    I think that everyone is entitled to privacy and just because someone is famous for their art, they're perfectly entitled to a private life without people knowing what they eat for breakfast.
  • lisalisa Posts: 406 ✭✭
    :# she just eats honey for her breakfast
  • nontannontan Posts: 201 ✭✭
    In my feeling, removing ribs is excessive.
    But as it is not harming someone else, it doesn't matter.
    What is your opinion?
    @nontan Yes, all of her actions do not have any negative impacts on our lives, maybe her slim bodystyle is admired by most of girls or women, but the lives of our simple people need some interesting topics to discuss, which is the main reason why we pay much attention to the famous stars or politican's private lives :#
    Twiggy has a lot to answer for. She was a model during the 70s and made the skinny style all the mod. A lot of teenage girls used to try to look like her and made themselves sick to be skinny stick insects.
    @mheredge I think she is also popular in China now, have you seen any photos of Chinese femal famous stars, almost all of them are slim, maybe most of their wight are less 50KG or 45KG, no matter the height of them. It sounds a bit horrible, can you imagine one girl whose height is more than 160cm, but her weight is less than 45KG. As a simple person, I really can not know what kind of food they eat everyday, or do you eat food in their usual lives, if they do not eat food, where they get the energies to work? This question makes me confused for a long time. As far as I know, obesity causes lots of diseases, such as heart-disease, stroke, diabetes, ect, but i do not know too slim could lead some unhealthy conditions or not.
    In the US too, actresses have to be slim to get anywhere. This sort of pressure is not healthy @lisa. I think in the UK actresses are no longer quite under the same sort of duress to lose weight, but certainly it used to be a bit problem.