Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Aging problems

lisalisa Posts: 406 ✭✭
It is true that people in industrialised nations can expect live longer than ever before. Although there will undoubtly be some negative consequences for this trend, societies can take steps to mitigate these potential problems.

As people live longer and the populations of developed countries grow older, the related problems can be anticipated. The main issue is that more people of retirement age who will be eligible to receive a pension. The proportion of younger, working adults will be smaller, and government will therefore receive less money in taxes in relation to the size of the population. In other words, an aging population will mean a greater tax burden for working adults. Furthure pressures will include that a rise in the demand of healthcare, and the fact young people will increasingly have to look after their elderly relatives.

There are many actions governments could take to solve problems describe above. Firstly, a simple solution will be to increase the retirement age for working adults, perhaps from 65 to 70. Nowadays, people of this age tend to be healthy enough to contiune a productive working life. A second measure would be for governments to encourage immigrations in order to increase the numbers of working adults who pay taxes. Finally, money from national budgest will need to be taken from other areas and spent on vital healthcare, accommodation and transport facilities for the rising numbers of older citizens.

In conclusion, various measures can be taken to tackle the problems that are certain to arise as the populations of countires grow older.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    They are already raising the retirement age in many countries @lisa. In the UK it used to be 60 for women and 65 for men. From 2019, the State Pension age will increase for both men and women to reach 66 by October 2020. The Government is planning further increases, which will raise the State Pension age from 66 to 67 between 2026 and 2028.
  • lisalisa Posts: 406 ✭✭
    @mheredge actually I have been concerning one problem for a long time, can I do a productive job when I am 65 years old? My grandpa and his younger sister passed away on their 60 years old and 65 years old.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    I think the life expectancy in most countries is increasing and in China it is now about 75 for men and 77 for women (in France it is a lot better at 85.4 for women and 79.4 for men, though Britain is not much further behind with 83 and 79.4 respectively). But you're right, people now seem to be expected to carry on working into their graves @lisa.