Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Our consumers are influenced by vrious forms of advertising, is it good or not?

lisalisa Posts: 406 ✭✭
In today's material world, we are inundated with various forms of advertising. In my view, this can be dangerous as it encourages us to spend without thinking and young people, in particular, need some pretection from it.

The first point to make is that advertising does make us spend money we do not need to. There are nowdays many different ways companies promot their products and services, ranging from television commercials to simple flypers that we can not escape it. If, for example, you watch a footbal match on television, you will see the logos of the tournament spondors. Likewise, you watch the latest blockbuster movie, very probably you will see a product placed in the film by some advertising agency. The volume of this advertising means we, as consumers, tend to be profoundly influenced by it and buy without thinking.

It is not easy to decide how to regulate advertising. Clearly, governments should ought to restrict advertisements for harmful products such as alchool and tobacco.They do not have the power, however, to control other forms of advertising. This means we need to use our common sense when we go to the shops, and ask ourselves whether we really need to make that purchase or not. Parents should, however, ensure that young people are protected from too much explore to advertising. This can mean simply explaining that it is not necessary to buy the newest XBOX, or simply turning the television off.

My conclusion is we can not control advertising or its effects in the modern world, children should be encouraged not to pay too much attention to it.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    I know that in the UK there are controls over advertising and certain standards but I'm not sure all countries are so diligent in watching over the techniques and content of advertising @lisa. Here in Asia it tends to be out of control.
  • lisalisa Posts: 406 ✭✭
    the tobacoo was forbidden to do some andvertisements on television before, but some advertisings were seen on the television in recent two years, now it is seldom to see the tobacco advertisements in China
    Tobacco might be banned but alcohol is still advertised widely @lisa.
    that is right, in fact i hate alcohol very very much, alcohol is easly to be addictive.
    It causes many other health problems too @lisa.
    @mheredge Why those two objects were found? I do not think people can control themselves well if they have started to try those two objects.
    I think humans just like to intoxicate themselves whether this be by drugs, alcohol or smoking @lisa. Once hooked, they then find it hard to give up.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,373 mod
    You won't be an addict if you really don't want to.
    Except you're a kind of "prisoner" and somebody forces you to and you don't have any chance to escape.
    @april @mheredge I completely agree with april, having said the addiction, my husband seems to have an addiction to smoking, but he begins to get rid of it, I seldom see his cigarettes and there is no smoking smell around him, I am so happy to get this. Maybe he has realized the harmness of smoking or I told him I was preparing for be pregnent recently, anyway, getting rid of smoking is good for his health and our families, especially for the child.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,373 mod
    I hope he'll keep going that good way, @lisa .