Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Winter Time

FrankFrank ModeratorPosts: 6,069 mod
Today, in our country, Winter Time starts (Daylight saving time).
That means we have to put the clock back one hour.

Do you also have Summer Time and Winter Time in your country?
What do you think about it? Do you consider it to be useful?

Comments

• PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I life today in this Winter time too but I prefer Summer time because the daylight is than an hour longer and I think. I like to cycling after the noon but I don't like to cycle in the darkness so I will have to ride faster to be at home for the darkness.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,110 mod
    That's the one thing I don't like about winter @Paulette. I hate when it is dark when you get up in the morning and dark when you go home from work in the evening.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭✭
    I’m not sure if we have Summer Time or Winter Time in Japan. I don’t think I’ve ever put the clock one hour forward or backwards in the past. Could it be that I’d simply never noticed it, like I’ve been the only one who’d missed out on these big events all through my life?
    Maybe Japan doesn't change its clocks @takafromtokyo. India and Nepal don't. I think it's more of a European thing. Britain changes at the same time as Europe so it's never the same time as in the rest of Europe. It's what you might expect!
    @mheredge
    Oh, okay, I see.
    But I think I’ll check it out myself anyway: if Japan really don’t have those seasonal times. (←Does this make sense? )
  • madhugmadhug Posts: 688 ✭✭✭
    In India, we haven't season timings. India has a vast country differents type of temperatures are there in winter.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 774 Teacher
    @takafromtokyo I´m sure you would have noticed - you would have either been very early or very late for something important if you didn´t change the clock!

I enjoy summer time - when it´s later at night and still light outside, I feel like I have more time to enjoy the nice weather. However, the time change itself gives me headaches (from trying to figure it all out!), so I would be very happy if the whole world decided to give up on this idea!
    @NatashaT
    How about joking my league: not even noticing of the time change. I haven’t experienced any headaches trying to figure out which way to turn the clock’s hands.

Oh, this just occurred to me but do smartphones adjust the time automatically? I mean, we don’t have to worry about it with our smartphones?
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 774 Teacher
    @takafromtokyo I think it depends on how your smartphone is set up, whether it updates the time automatically for you based on your call providor, or if you set it yourself. Most of them do, though.

I remember someone who didn´t realise that their phone updated automatically though, so they also changed it! They were very confused :D
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,737 mod
    We have winter time, yes, and I can understand why the clocks need to be changed. However, I hate the shorter days. I always have low moods in the winter because of it, and I am literally counting down the days until summer comes back again!
    I got back to find my clocks all hanging onto summer time. My tablet was obviously set up to detect the local time however.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,671 mod
    The alarm clock in my bedrooms is still in summer time. Itˋs so nice to get an additional hour in bed. We need a few more days to adjust all the clocks in the house right.
    I have had to change my clocks by one hour.
  • lisalisa Posts: 407 ✭✭
    I do not think we have summer and winter time in China, and we never change our clocks or watches. But Chinese earth sizes are too big to use the small time zones, I think Beijing time zone is different from others, for example, we start working at 9 am everyday, but the people in Xinjiang province start working at 10 am on Beijing time zone. I have never been in Xinjiang province, I am not quite sure they use Beijing time zone or not, and when we want to phone some companies in Xinjiang province, we have to wait until 10 am.
  • DeucalionDeucalion Posts: 621 ✭✭✭
    edited November 3
    Winter ti-i-i-i-i-i-i-ime! He-e-e-e-ei!
    You are lucky, @Paulette , @mheredge, @Hermine , @lisa, @madhug , @nomad81, @takafromtokyo , @pelouche , @Lynne and others that I am not near you and cannot throw snowballs at you and roll you in snow. :lol: A-rrr-g-hhh!
    I think China has just one time zone @lisa, but I suppose people get around the differences in daylight hours by starting work at different times. When I visited China for the first time, I was surprised to find Lhasa was on Beijing time, which meant that it didn't get light there until about 8am even though it was only September.

All my clocks were still set on Summer time when I got back to my apartment. I had to change them back an hour.
    edited November 3
    I googled about Summer Time and Winter Time in Japan. I found out that Summer Time had been once practiced in Japan right after the WW2, but for only for 4 years though. It wasn’t much welcomed by Japanese people back then, and the Summer Time Law was abolished in 1951.
    I hate how it is still dark until well after 6am and gets dark by 6pm here in France. And there is still more than six weeks to go until the shortest day.
  • swathiswathi Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Now we have winter session. i don't like winter session, in this session we will get cold and we never see sun some times in this session,not that only we will get health issues also.
  • lisalisa Posts: 407 ✭✭
    @swathi Our local serectary caught a cold, she coughed and had running nose, poor girl. It is a windy and cloudy day of today, the wind seems very heavy with horrible voices. It will rain, I think. Anyway, it is rainy seson, and the weather is much warmer than my hometown.
    Today is another nice day, more typical of winter in Nice with a blue sky, the sun shining but quite cool. Tomorrow I am heading to grey and rainy Britain. I always ask myself why am I so crazy to visit the UK at the worst possible time of year!
    @mheredge I think you want to visit the UK in the worst time of the year to bring warmth and sunshine to your mom. Don't you think, when she sees you how happy she is. A loving mom stays always a mom and her children stay always in her heart.
    Actually that is a good point @Paulette. The cold, wet weather outside doesn't make any difference if we are snug indoors with a nice cup of tea (my mother makes the best British cuppa - she was very well trained by my English father).
    @mheredge I hope you enjoy the time with your family and relatives because you sometimes have a lot of need to be together. Have a nice time and specially have a good time with your warm nice cup of tea! :)
  • sammanisammani Posts: 314 ✭✭✭
    I don`t know it summer or winter my country.I think it is rainy season.I have no idea about winter,ice,snow.But I really like to move a country that hase all these things. :(
    Don't worry, you're not missing anything if you don't have ice and snow @sammani. It might be pretty to look at from afar but it is cold, wet, slippery, sometimes very dangerous (avalanches), can freeze up your water pipes, block the roads... I'm running out of the disadvantages but I really don't know of any good points except sometimes it looks pretty. When it is melting however, the slush gets dirty and it is horrible.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    We also change a time a twice a year in my country, accord to the law, when it happens in March and October. We back a hand of a clock about one hour backwards in October, and we move a hand of a clock about one hour to forward in March. Many my countrymen regard it for a relict. One of a parliament party had conducted a survey, which proved that a nearly 80 per cent society that to stand for not changing a hour from Summer Time to Winter Time and contrariwise.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,737 mod
    mheredge said:

I got back to find my clocks all hanging onto summer time. My tablet was obviously set up to detect the local time however.

I expect that was a little confusing! I always struggle for the first few days after a time change because I can't remember which clocks I have changed and which ones I haven't!
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    I wait with impatience on first snow and it will be enough to ride on a sled from a hillock in my park. I will take my daughter, whom waits for snow. There is a possibility to ride on a sled in the evening because hillock is illuminated.
    @nomad81 is it possible to have a lot of snow now in your country (I think it is Poland) on this times of the year? If it is snowing in Belgium now than it isn't good snow, it change immediately in a more sticky dirty cold mass. But I think the temperatures in your country are more less than here.