Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

We become more and more dependent on computers and information technology, is it positive or negtati

lisalisa Posts: 406 ✭✭
As we move into the twenty-first century, it is clear to see that we become more and more dependent on computers and information technology. The technology now reaches in almost every area of our lives and it is easy to predict that this phenomena is only going to grow. My personal belief is that this presents a variety of dangers.

It is highly likely that in the future there will be comparatively few aspects of our lives that will not be influenced by computer technology. The probality is that it will control more and more formings of communication, transforming fields such as education and business when video-conferencing platforms become more stable. It might even affect romance with more people forming relationships online.

There may be benefits to this technological revolution, there are also a large number of potential dangers. Perhaps the most serious of these would be that if people rely on computers too much for communication, they could in fact begin to communicate less well. For example, if every member of a family had their own computer screen and smart phone, they might not speank often to one another and simpley look at a screen. This would be the most serious because our ability to communciate is an essential part of our humanity.

My conclusion is that the growth of computer technology is inevitable, but there may not be entirely positive.

Do you aggree with me or not? Please leave your opinions on this topic.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    @lisa I think you are right about the dangers to human interaction and communication in the technological age. It is so easy to send text messages rather than speak directly, and face to face communication almost seems like a thing from the past.

I think the worst danger is for young children that are being brought up with a smart phone as virtually their only plaything.

But as someone who is constantly on the move, I find the internet at least helps me keep in touch with my friends who are all a long way away. The internet enables something like this Forum to work. It also makes finding out information on almost anything a lot easier. I suppose I test it to its limit sometimes, as I get frustrated sometimes that the obscure places I want to know about still don't have much information showing. And even France, I find that the quality of information is much lower than I would expect.
  • lisalisa Posts: 406 ✭✭
    @mheredge I agree with you. Wether or not the internet can be used properly depends on the person,himself or herself. If you were attarcted by the games, kinds of news, movies on the internet, few valuable consequences you would get. In contrary, if the internet was used for studying, sharing some educational information, communicating with other professional people in some interesting fileds, it would bring great benefits for you. Nowsdays, we can not live without internet, because we need to communicate with each other, but sometimes distance is obstacle, at that time internet is vital factor to decide whether or not we can reach the goal of sharing or communication.
  • nontannontan Posts: 201 ✭✭
    I think everything has both positive and negative side.
    I understand your opinion about the communication issue but I don't think it is the fault of IT, because we still have an option to communicate with people face to face.
    IT isn't depriving us of the option to do that. It is just giving us another option which is the online communication.

It is like saying, 'I bought a car. Since then I rarely walk. My legs have got weak. It is a negative part of cars.'
    It feels a bit weird to me.
    We can walk whenever we want to, even if we have a car.
    If our legs got weak, it is our fault, not car's.
    @nontan yes, you are right, all the decisions are made by our humans instead those modern machines <3
  • nontannontan Posts: 201 ✭✭
    Perhaps I misunderstood what you mean on this topic.
    You are talking about our attitude to computers, not the IT itself, right?
    I am sorry. @lisa

And I agree with you. I think we should carefully deal with these technologies.
    @actually i want to discuss the negative inflences brought by computers and infromaion technology, and which measures we should take to deal with those problems. But i do not want only focus on the negative consequences of those modern techonologies, in my opinion, we should pay attention to both the negative and positive consequences of the developing modern technologies.