When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-

Finally I know how to put a new discussion by myself

lisalisa Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
I am a new fish, and I have been learning English for more than 10 years. But there are some problems which make me confussed recently, i do not know how to improve my english in listening, speaking, reading and writing, it seems to me that all endeavours are unuseful, not matter how hard i am trying to remember some new words or improve my listening level, tomorrow it will become the similarity with today.I am so frustred and I do not know whether or not I should continue my studying.

• lisalisa Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    If anyone has the same situation with me, pls leave some suggestions, tks very much
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,534 mod
    Everybody seems to have the same problem in learning languages, @lisa .
    One has the ability to master it fast, the other needs more time.
    Important is that you don't become frustrated but try to still have fun in your learning.
    Learning is "almost" a whole life process.
    For me, at least. ;)
    @april Thanks for your comment, and I think my situation is wobbling, sometimes it is good, maybe after a few days, it becomes bad, anyway, I should insist on learning and practicing, I believe one day my situation will be kept on a satisficated level.

Studying is a whole life process, the same to me.
    Satisfyng or satisfactory?
    @april I think it should be satisfying, because I read a similar sentence this morning, which is "a satisfying activity".
    They have a slightly different meaning, I think.
    edited December 2017
    @april I think this question maybe easier for native enligsh speakers, but for me, they are the same.
    Okay, don't listen to me. :)
    I think you are misled by me @april, I do not mean you are wrong. What I expressed is both of us are not native english speakers, it is common for us to unknow the exact differences between those two words.
  • MatthiasAndernachMatthiasAndernach Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Hi @lisa I began learning English at the age of 10 in school. Now it is 33 years later and sometimes I feel as I'm not able to express the simplest thoughts in English. Particularly speaking in real life, feels like a "mission impossible". I haven't practised English for the whole 33 years. For long periods I did nothing for my language capabilities. For about 3 years now I read a lot in English, and for 2 years I watch movies and series in English on netflix (don't wanna place an ad here :smiley: ) Sometimes I think nothing improves, but when I try to remember where I was years ago, I think there is an advance. Try sometimes to focus on the long time developments, and I think you will see that there is something that get you further. The everyday feeling is frustrating, I need to use a word sometimes 20 times to remember it. When I read I often encounter words that I know I read so much times before, but I still can't remember its meaning. But that's the way, you're really not alone with that. Maybe there are some prodigies who speak fluently after a month. But that's not me, and there is no shame in it. Shame is only in surrender!
    @MatthiasAndernach Thank you for your kind words. Insistance is more important, maybe the improvements can not be got in a short time, but succumbing meaning nothing can be got at all.