Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Health from the past.

Well. I don't think I would want ANY of these! How things have changed. Have you heard of any of these 'cures'? Or maybe tried one or two!

http://www.complementarytherapynews.co.uk/2017/10/the-quackery-cures-of-yesteryear.html

Comments

• jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 755 OTT

jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/06/monastery.html

The monasteries in the middle ages.

The monasteries did much good work: they looked after sick people, for there were no hospitals in those days; they helped the poor, gave shelter to travellers, and taught reading and writing.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,110 mod
    My mind boggles at the doctors' answer to hysteria @amatsuscribbler. >:)
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,737 mod
    I once attended a lecture about medical treatments in years gone by, and I was fascinated. It's no surprise that life expectancy was so low back then!
    Life expectancy in Nepal is still low. For Bhutanese it was at 69 in 2015, for Indians and Pakistanis 66 and Afghanis have the lowest life expectancy at 56. What is remarkable is how quickly the average lifespan of Nepalis has increased – going up by 12.3 years between 1991 and 2011. Back in 1954, due to high infant mortality, an average Nepali lived to be only 27.8 years. Now I think it's around 69 for men and 70 for women.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    During the time I started as a nurse, the treathments in the hospital were more primitive than today. The needles and syringesinjection were not yet available in disposable material, we had to clean the syringes and needles themselves and drying and packaging for sterilization. There was also no micro-surgery, and internal endoscopic examinations were a rarity.
    I have seen a lot of changes in recent years.
    Also the many new applications for heart diseases such as the pacemaker, the open heart surgery ec...
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,671 mod
    edited October 28
    @Paulette and not to forget the pills whichˋll extend our lives.
    edited October 28
    @Hermine where can you buy these pills? :*
    Post edited by Paulette on
  • younusvyounusv Posts: 40 ✭✭
    I was a blood pressure patient. I went to the natural life international hospital India and they trained me to take natural foods(Fruits and vegetables) and Yoga. Now my blood pressure is normal. I had a tooth paint and they treated me with a Juice of mango tree leaf and salt. The dental doctor suggested me root canal treatment but now due Natural treatment, I have not tooth pain.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,671 mod
    @Paulette, hmm.. drugs or pills to cure everything, so they say. Old people take a lot of pills for various health problems and I believe it gives them a longer life.

@younusv, great and fingers crossed it will remain so.
    I have a lot of faith in herbs and where possible, avoid drugs and pills if I can.
  • lisalisa Posts: 407 ✭✭
    edited November 5
    Some aerobic exercises can make human more healthy, and we should avoid pills or drugs as much as we can, because rigorously speaking, pills or drugs are kinds of poisions, I think.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge I agree with you, I have started using herbs to heal myself from a cold. I had a big runny nose and some kind of herb helped me. My wife is more interested in herbs, and we try to avoid a pill and drugs. Off course, we use it when it is necessary. I have recently read an article about overdose pills by society how often we get for drugs, how ads convince us, that one pill will cure us from sick.
    I think slowly people are beginning to understand how much natural remedies can help @nomad81. If the cold is bad, I still swear by hot lemon, honey and a splash of brandy. It almost makes having a cold worthwhile!
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,373 mod
    @mheredge , I'm told now that if you put honey in hot water it won't have its good effect anymore.
    I used to add honey in my tea but not anymore now.
    I didn't know this @april. I was skeptical at first and didn't like the thought of it, but leaving honey on the face makes the skin really soft. I tried it when I was in Thailand. It meant that I had to sleep on my back so as not to smear it all over the bedsheets.
    I have read if we want to get a benefit with action of honey, it doesn't add to overly hot water, differently it loses its properties.
    lisa said:

Some aerobic exercises can make human more healthy, and we should avoid pills or drugs as much as we can, because rigorously speaking, pills or drugs are kinds of poisions, I think.

I think if there is any way we can cure health conditions through lifestyle we should do that, but there are lots of things that do genuinely need medication and yes, some medications may be poisons, but the negative effect is outweighed by the positive effect.
    An old trick that used my mom (she is 93 now) when I was a child and if I had a big cough, she rubbing some Vicks on my chest and then she put there warm brown paper on it. And soon I could smell the eucalyptus of the Vicks and the cough stopped after a while and everyone could sleep.
    Paulette said:

An old trick that used my mom (she is 93 now) when I was a child and if I had a big cough, she rubbing some Vicks on my chest and then she put there warm brown paper on it. And soon I could smell the eucalyptus of the Vicks and the cough stopped after a while and everyone could sleep.

Yes, that is something I do too. I don't really know why it works, but it does seem to! So I will certainly carry on doing it.
    I have a bit sore throat now.
    I have taken one pastille of vitamine C.
    Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow.
    Or is it a sign of flu?
    Should I ask for flu vaccine?
    @Paulette I remember when I had a cold, I was been using Vicks. It was rubbed in chest and it warmed up. It only kept a smell of eucalyptus.
    @april Fever and sore muscle is a sign of flu, maybe vitamin C will help you. I wish you health.
    edited November 15
    Hello @april how are you today, I hope your throat is better now. I hope much better than the weather here! ;)
    Thanks, @nomad81 and @Paulette .
    I have taken another vitamine C. and after my mug of coffee I'm feeling better now.

Yes, the weather here is also depressing.
    I'm like a prisoner in my house.
    Don't feel like going outside.
    Dark, wet and cold there! :o
  • lisalisa Posts: 407 ✭✭
    @april I think you'd better drink warm or cooled boiled water.
    The weather is dismal here in London. Travelling by the Tube, I just hope that I don't pick up any germs.
    april said:

I have a bit sore throat now.
    I have taken one pastille of vitamine C.
    Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow.
    Or is it a sign of flu?
    Should I ask for flu vaccine?

If you already have flu, the flu vaccine won't work. Most likely you are getting a cold, which is not the same as flu.
    @april How are you? I hope you feel better.
    @GemmaRowlands , the pharmacist said that the fly hasn't arrived yet here so it must be a cold.

@nomad81 , after the second vitamine C the sore eased. Thank you. :)
    april said:

@GemmaRowlands , the pharmacist said that the fly hasn't arrived yet here so it must be a cold.

@nomad81 , after the second vitamine C the sore eased. Thank you. :)

Yes, I imagine it would be a cold. They are very different illnesses, and true flu is much more severe than a cold, as you can usually carry on with your daily activities if you have a cold.
    I have just bought some cod liver oil tablets and a vitamin B12 supplement. Vitamins are cheaper in the UK than in France, or at least they are not expensive at Holland & Barrett which had a very good half price deal.