Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On this breezy October morn, I walk
in the swift shadows of cloud-cursing rooks,
watching the world wake on the horizon.
Leo Yankevich
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the doorway, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What would you do if you were in power?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,527 mod
If you were in power, what would you change about your country?

For me, I would try to bring focus back on musical education for children. I know that might not be world changing, but from my point of view it is important.

What about you?

What would you want to change?

Comments

  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,481 mod
    If I were in power here in Nepal, the list is sadly very long. For starters, I would build better roads, build a new airport, scrap the stupid 150 day rule on tourist visas, end corruption, spend more money on schools and healthcare, pipe drinking water to people's homes and invest more in hydro and solar energy.

    A tall order for such a poor country!

    If I were in power in UK my priority would be to stop Britain from committing suicide with Brexit!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,527 mod
    mheredge said:

    If I were in power here in Nepal, the list is sadly very long. For starters, I would build better roads, build a new airport, scrap the stupid 150 day rule on tourist visas, end corruption, spend more money on schools and healthcare, pipe drinking water to people's homes and invest more in hydro and solar energy.

    A tall order for such a poor country!

    If I were in power in UK my priority would be to stop Britain from committing suicide with Brexit!

    It is said that so many countries need to be improved but just don't have the money to make those improvements. I think those things listed are very important!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,481 mod
    Unfortunately many countries get a lot of financial help but a big percentage never reaches the purposes intended.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,527 mod
    mheredge said:

    Unfortunately many countries get a lot of financial help but a big percentage never reaches the purposes intended.

    Yes that's very true. I think the governments of a lot of countries keep hold of much of the money, which is why sending aid often doesn't seem to help a lot of the time!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,481 mod
    It just lines their very deep pickets @GemmaRowlands.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,527 mod
    mheredge said:

    It just lines their very deep pickets @GemmaRowlands.

    Very true! So many people are far too greedy to even think about the needs of the people in the rest of the country, when they are the ones who all of the aid should be going to.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,481 mod
    I have to confess that I am starting feel a bit sorry for Theresa May.



    At least in recent talks about Brexit she made no mention of the threat of leaving with no deal, which both sides acknowledged was a growing possibility after the fifth round of talks made little progress.

    Keir Starmer, the shadow Brexit secretary (and my MP), issued a much starker warning that the Tories talking up the idea of “no deal” were threatening the economic security of the UK. (I think Starmer will be PM in the future).

    Of course if I was in power, I'd be draconian and expel the hardline Brexit MPs to Wales where they could have their own independent out of the EU country. The Welsh would love them as they were keen on Brexiting. But the rest of the country could then just get on with life. Simplistic I know, but the mess the country is in right now, maybe not such a crazy idea.

    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/19/theresa-may-seeks-brexit-deal-she-can-defend-from-eu27?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=248723&subid=11006640&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,527 mod
    mheredge said:

    I have to confess that I am starting feel a bit sorry for Theresa May.



    At least in recent talks about Brexit she made no mention of the threat of leaving with no deal, which both sides acknowledged was a growing possibility after the fifth round of talks made little progress.

    Keir Starmer, the shadow Brexit secretary (and my MP), issued a much starker warning that the Tories talking up the idea of “no deal” were threatening the economic security of the UK. (I think Starmer will be PM in the future).

    Of course if I was in power, I'd be draconian and expel the hardline Brexit MPs to Wales where they could have their own independent out of the EU country. The Welsh would love them as they were keen on Brexiting. But the rest of the country could then just get on with life. Simplistic I know, but the mess the country is in right now, maybe not such a crazy idea.

    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/19/theresa-may-seeks-brexit-deal-she-can-defend-from-eu27?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=248723&subid=11006640&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

    I think we are in an absolute mess at the moment. I don't think we have the right people in charge to lead Brexit, and that is going to cause a lot of problems for us very soon.
Sign In or Register to comment.