Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What would you do if you were in power?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,897 mod
If you were in power, what would you change about your country?

For me, I would try to bring focus back on musical education for children. I know that might not be world changing, but from my point of view it is important.

What about you?

What would you want to change?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,481 mod
    If I were in power here in Nepal, the list is sadly very long. For starters, I would build better roads, build a new airport, scrap the stupid 150 day rule on tourist visas, end corruption, spend more money on schools and healthcare, pipe drinking water to people's homes and invest more in hydro and solar energy.

A tall order for such a poor country!

If I were in power in UK my priority would be to stop Britain from committing suicide with Brexit!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,897 mod
    mheredge said:

If I were in power here in Nepal, the list is sadly very long. For starters, I would build better roads, build a new airport, scrap the stupid 150 day rule on tourist visas, end corruption, spend more money on schools and healthcare, pipe drinking water to people's homes and invest more in hydro and solar energy.

A tall order for such a poor country!

If I were in power in UK my priority would be to stop Britain from committing suicide with Brexit!

It is said that so many countries need to be improved but just don't have the money to make those improvements. I think those things listed are very important!
    Unfortunately many countries get a lot of financial help but a big percentage never reaches the purposes intended.
    mheredge said:

Unfortunately many countries get a lot of financial help but a big percentage never reaches the purposes intended.

Yes that's very true. I think the governments of a lot of countries keep hold of much of the money, which is why sending aid often doesn't seem to help a lot of the time!
    It just lines their very deep pickets @GemmaRowlands.
    mheredge said:

It just lines their very deep pickets @GemmaRowlands.

Very true! So many people are far too greedy to even think about the needs of the people in the rest of the country, when they are the ones who all of the aid should be going to.
    I have to confess that I am starting feel a bit sorry for Theresa May.

At least in recent talks about Brexit she made no mention of the threat of leaving with no deal, which both sides acknowledged was a growing possibility after the fifth round of talks made little progress.

Keir Starmer, the shadow Brexit secretary (and my MP), issued a much starker warning that the Tories talking up the idea of “no deal” were threatening the economic security of the UK. (I think Starmer will be PM in the future).

Of course if I was in power, I'd be draconian and expel the hardline Brexit MPs to Wales where they could have their own independent out of the EU country. The Welsh would love them as they were keen on Brexiting. But the rest of the country could then just get on with life. Simplistic I know, but the mess the country is in right now, maybe not such a crazy idea.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/19/theresa-may-seeks-brexit-deal-she-can-defend-from-eu27?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=248723&subid=11006640&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
    mheredge said:

I have to confess that I am starting feel a bit sorry for Theresa May.

At least in recent talks about Brexit she made no mention of the threat of leaving with no deal, which both sides acknowledged was a growing possibility after the fifth round of talks made little progress.

Keir Starmer, the shadow Brexit secretary (and my MP), issued a much starker warning that the Tories talking up the idea of “no deal” were threatening the economic security of the UK. (I think Starmer will be PM in the future).

Of course if I was in power, I'd be draconian and expel the hardline Brexit MPs to Wales where they could have their own independent out of the EU country. The Welsh would love them as they were keen on Brexiting. But the rest of the country could then just get on with life. Simplistic I know, but the mess the country is in right now, maybe not such a crazy idea.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/19/theresa-may-seeks-brexit-deal-she-can-defend-from-eu27?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=248723&subid=11006640&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

I think we are in an absolute mess at the moment. I don't think we have the right people in charge to lead Brexit, and that is going to cause a lot of problems for us very soon.
    I put this article on my Facebook page and it was interesting to see the reaction of my only two Brexit Facebook friends. Luckily for me, apart from these two, everyone agrees that it's a mess.
    mheredge said:

I put this article on my Facebook page and it was interesting to see the reaction of my only two Brexit Facebook friends. Luckily for me, apart from these two, everyone agrees that it's a mess.

If we held the referendum again, it would be an absolute landslide in the other direction. I can't believe that so many people voted to leave, but I know that they would vote differently now they have seen how it has been handled.
    Really @GemmaRowlands, that's encouraging as I didn't have this impression. Maybe there should be another referendum then.
    mheredge said:

Really @GemmaRowlands, that's encouraging as I didn't have this impression. Maybe there should be another referendum then.

Yes. I get a strong feeling that people are panicking, and many people voted to leave because they wanted to make a stand - but they were never really prepared to actually win!
    I read that Bloomberg is regretting he invested in new offices in London because many of his staff are now saying that they don't want to work in Britain due to the attiitude towards immigration.
    mheredge said:

I read that Bloomberg is regretting he invested in new offices in London because many of his staff are now saying that they don't want to work in Britain due to the attiitude towards immigration.

I think a lot of people will say things like that, but everything will calm down once Brexit actually starts. Lots of things are often said in the heat of the moment.
    I am not convinced as already there are a lot of ominous signs @GemmaRowlands. For example, a fraction of the number of people from the EU are coming to work in the UK, causing all sorts of problems in several sectors of the economy (especially health). Economically, the UK cannot go it alone. In this day and age no country can.
    mheredge said:

I am not convinced as already there are a lot of ominous signs @GemmaRowlands. For example, a fraction of the number of people from the EU are coming to work in the UK, causing all sorts of problems in several sectors of the economy (especially health). Economically, the UK cannot go it alone. In this day and age no country can.

This is true. I don't think we would try and go it alone though. I think we will have to make deals in some way.
  • k33miyuk33miyu Posts: 10 ✭✭
    I would work on the economic reformation, especially on tourism industry. I would like to contribute to my hometown, Okinawa first. It’s a popular place known for beautiful beaches, delicious food, and people’s peaceful personalities. However, a few foreigners who I had talked to were not familiar with Okinawa. They didn’t even know which country it was part of. Okinawa has been developed by the tourism industry for a long time, but most of our visitors are from mainland Japan, or a part of neighboring Asian countries. I believe that if I can let many people know how nice Okinawa is, they would visit here, hopefully it would become the most popular vacation place in the world.
    k33miyu said:

I would work on the economic reformation, especially on tourism industry. I would like to contribute to my hometown, Okinawa first. It’s a popular place known for beautiful beaches, delicious food, and people’s peaceful personalities. However, a few foreigners who I had talked to were not familiar with Okinawa. They didn’t even know which country it was part of. Okinawa has been developed by the tourism industry for a long time, but most of our visitors are from mainland Japan, or a part of neighboring Asian countries. I believe that if I can let many people know how nice Okinawa is, they would visit here, hopefully it would become the most popular vacation place in the world.

It would certainly be good if you could make your town more popular. It is great when tourists choose to visit, as it can bring a lot of money into the town.
    @k33miyu I also do quite a bit of work promoting tourism. I visited Japan a couple of years ago and was blown away by how marvellous your country is for tourism. But to the outside world, people have no idea and just think that Japan is expensive without realizing what a really beautiful and interesting place it is.
    mheredge said:

@k33miyu I also do quite a bit of work promoting tourism. I visited Japan a couple of years ago and was blown away by how marvellous your country is for tourism. But to the outside world, people have no idea and just think that Japan is expensive without realizing what a really beautiful and interesting place it is.

I would love to visit Japan. My band are currently looking into the possibility of travelling to another country, and Japan is on the list of places we're considering.