Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Can - Can't - Did - Might - Ought - Will - Won't

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,186 mod
edited January 2014 in Modal Verbs
I found this on my www wanderings today.

'Did' is a Word of Achievement, 'Won't' is a Word of Retreat, 'Might' is a Word of Bereavement, 'Can't is a Word of Defeat 'Ought' is a Word of Duty, 'Try' is a Word of the hour 'Will is a Word of Beauty, 'Can' is a Word of power.

Anonymous
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,009 mod
    Great!
    I printed it and it will go anywhere near my bed. :bz
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,009 mod
    Oh yes Marianne you are right. Anywhere sounds as if it is not so important to me.
  • vidhyavidhya Posts: 2
    If you have a dream, don’t just sit there. Gather courage to believe that you can succeed and leave no stone unturned to make it a reality.
  • pryfllwydpryfllwyd The AnthropocenePosts: 1,405 mod
    edited August 2014
    I know I should and I would if I could, but I can't so I won't, so don't ask
    Post edited by pryfllwyd on
  • SairaSaira Posts: 842 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    It might be wrong,you can't react like that.If he did I will promise, I can leave her and won't see her again and you ought not to interfere in other people business.

---------------------

It might be wrong, but you shouldn't react like that. If he can do that I promise, I will leave her and won't see her again, but you ought not to interfere in other people's business.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • dawooddawood Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I can, you can't play football and he did and she did't played piano
    they could or Could't come here?

--------------------

I can, but you can't play football.

He did, but she didn't play the piano.

They could or couldn't come here.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • dawooddawood Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    you might be wrong, you can't be like that. she did you will promise, Ali can leave her and won't see her tomorrow again.

-----------------------

You might be wrong, so you shouldn't be like that. Will you promise if she does that Ali can leave her and won't see her again tomorrow.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • mhoz000mhoz000 Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I'll make few sentences for that. She can decide. They can't go anywhere. Did I do something wrong? He didn't know that!

----------------

I'll write a few sentences for that.

She can decide. They can't go anywhere.

Did I do something wrong?

He didn't know that!
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • steevesteeve Posts: 6
    edited September 2015
    You might say you can t but you won t know if you can until you try. Did you try?
    if not , I hope you will. thoses who tries have a chance to succeed ought those who doesn t try, have no chances to succeed. Please correct me if I m wrong. I am not sure about using try or tries and no too sure about using ought.

-----------------------

You might say you can't but you won't know if you can until you try. Did you try? If not, I hope you will.

Those who try have a chance to succeed, but those who don't try, have no chance to succeed.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong. I am not sure about using try or tries and not too sure about using ought.)
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,186 mod
    @steeve (et al), sorry about the delay in the corrections.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I can breath, my heart is beating iam alive that's a miracle

----------------------

I can breathe, my heart is beating, I am alive. That's a miracle.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • Charlotte19Charlotte19 Posts: 8
    edited July 2016
    @Lynne

'Did' is a word of achievement,
    'Won't' is a word of retreat,
    'Might' is a word of bereavement,
    'Can't is a word of defeat,

'Ought' is a word of duty,
    'Try' is the word of the hour,
    'Will is a word of beauty,
    'Can' is a word of power.

How about ""could"?
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • Charlotte19Charlotte19 Posts: 8
    in comparaison with ought?
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,186 mod
    I'm not sure what you mean by could in comparison with ought. Did you mean should? Sometimes 'should' and 'ought to' mean the same thing, but 'should' has more than one meaning.

Try writing a couple of sentences here.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Can - Can't - Did - Might - Ought - Will - Won't

I can go to work even though it snowed this morning. I'll just have to get started an hour earlier than usual.

I can't go to work today because of unexpected snow this morning. I realized that all the transportation had died when I the train staiton.

I did tried my best to get to the office, and it wasn't easy.

I got calls from my client that they might not be able to make it to the appointment today because of the snow.

We ought to be doing something to get the traffic moving.

I got a call again from my client that they will be able to come on time.

I got a third call from my client that they won't be coming today because of the heavy traffic jam due to an accident.

-----------------------

I can't go to work today because of unexpected snow this morning. I realized that all the public transport was at a standstill when I got to the train station.

I did my best to get to the office, but it wasn't easy.
    or
    I tried my best to get to the office, but it wasn't easy.

I got another call from my client saying that they will be here on time.

I got a third call from my client saying that they won't be coming today because of a huge traffic jam following an accident.
    or
    I got a third call from my client saying that they won't be coming today because an accident had caused heavy traffic.
    Post edited by Lynne on