Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

A story game

Hi, everyone! Firstly, I want to say sorry if this isn't the pest place for this topic. I'm still new. :/
I have a game for you: I will write a part of a sentence and 2nd one will continues it, 3rd one will continues the 2nd one part and so on, until it become a story.

Once upon a time, in a hot summer day...

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    Can I suggest that no one should add more than ten more words to the story @smileme?

Once upon a time, on a hot summer day a little boy was walking home from school when suddenly...
  • smilemesmileme Posts: 9
    > @mheredge said:
    > Can I suggest that no one should add more than ten more words to the story @smileme?
    Yeah, of course.
  • nontannontan Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited September 21
    Once upon a time, on a hot summer day a little boy was walking home from school when suddenly...
    he heard a faint voice coming from somewhere about his feet.
    Once upon a time, on a hot summer day a little boy was walking home from school when suddenly
    he heard a faint voice coming from somewhere about his feet. In surprise, he looked down and saw that there was...
  • aroobaarooba Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Once upon a time, on a hot summer day a little boy was walking home from school when suddenly
    he heard a faint voice coming from somewhere about his feet. In surprise, he looked down and saw that there was childhood friend. He met him after a long time.....
    Once upon a time, on a hot summer day a little boy was walking home from school when suddenly he heard a faint voice coming from somewhere about his feet. In surprise, he looked down and saw that there was ..... (childhood friend. He met him after a long time... what was he doing down by his feet @arooba?)

Once upon a time, on a hot summer day a little boy was walking home from school when suddenly he heard a faint voice coming from somewhere about his feet. In surprise, he looked down and saw that there was someone sitting in the ditch by the road. It was ...
    edited September 26
    Then can it be like this?

----
    Once upon a time, on a hot summer day a little boy was walking home from school when suddenly he heard a faint voice coming from somewhere about his feet.
    In surprise, he looked down and saw that there was someone sitting in the ditch by the road. It was his childhood friend. He met him after a long time.
    @nontan
    Once upon a time, on a hot summer day a little boy was walking home from school when suddenly he heard a faint voice coming from somewhere about his feet.
    In surprise, he looked down and saw that there was someone sitting in the ditch by the road. It was his childhood friend. He met him after a long time.

'Hello! Fancy seeing you here,' he said. 'What are you....

'Hello! Fancy seeing you here,' he said. 'What are you worried about? You look sad. Tell me. What's happened?'
    His friend looked very glum. 'Life is treating me very ....
    His friend looked very glum. 'Life is treating me very badly. My dog has run away. I can't find him.'

(I feel ten words restriction is a bit strict. Can't we expand it to 10 ~ 20 words?)
    Why not @nontan?

'Oh, when did you last see him?' the little boy (let's call him Jan) asked his friend.
    "Last evening" he replied. (Let's call him "Feby")
    Then Feby suddenly noticed something and cried,
    "Why are you here, Jan? When did you come back?"
    'I've been here all the time. I didn't want anyone to see me.'
    "But..."
    Feby was confused.
    A year ago, Jan suddenly left the town saying nothing to him.
    The grown-ups told him afterwards that he moved to a far town.
    "Don't mind me." said Jan. "Let's look for 'Maru' (the dog's name) together."
    'Why? Is Maru lost? ' Feby asked puzzled. 'I thought you took him with you.'
    > @mheredge said:
    > 'Why? Is Maru lost? ' Feby asked puzzled. 'I thought you took him with you.'

???
    Isn't it incoherent?
    It is Feby who first says Maru has run away.
    And haven't you forgotten that Feby met Jan after a long time?
    "Don't mind me." said Jan. "Let's look for 'Maru' (the dog's name) together."

I thought Jan said they needed to look for Maru.

Jan scratched his head and shrugged his shoulders looking dejected.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge @nontan

Hi, guys. Sorry for the interruption. Could you help me get it straight at this point?

So, there’s Jan; he was walking from school on a hot summer day.

Then there’s Feby; he was sitting in a ditch, he has been away for a long time, and says life is treating him badly. He says his dog has run away.

Lastly, there’s Maru; Maru is Feby’s dog, right?

Jan has been in town all along. Feby has left the town once but has come back looking horrible, and one of the reasons is that his dog Maru disappeared last night.
    This sums it up very well @takafromtokyo. The idea is to add about ten words to the story. @nontan started the story but anyone can join in.

Jan scratched his head and shrugged his shoulders looking dejected.

'Maru ran away as he did not want to leave this place,' Jan said sadly.
    @mheredge
    Hmm..I’m still trying to catch up. So, Feby left the town but he didn’t take his dog Maru with him when he left. Jan took Maru and started looking after him. Feby came back thinking that Maru should be with Jan, but learned that Maru has left Jan’s place just the day before.

Well, whatever added up to this point, the fact right now is that the boys are here but the dog is gone.

‘Maru ran away as he did not want to leave this place,’ Jan said sadly.
    ‘Where could he be?’, said Feby. ‘He can’t be too far away.’
    I've been thinking Jan is the boy sitting in the ditch and Feby is the one walking on the way home.
    Now I see why it was becoming incoherent.
    Perhaps we should have named the boys in the first place.
    And I am not the one who started this game. @smileme did.
    Maybe if it is a bit confusing @nontan, why don't you just start a new story?
    Okay, then. A new story, shall we?
    @nontan @mheredge @arooba @smileme
    ::::::::::::::::::::::
    A boy named Alex was living in a port town.
    A boy named Alex was living in a port town. He never knew his father who had died before he was born.
    > @mheredge said:
    > Maybe if it is a bit confusing @nontan, why don't you just start a new story?

I am sorry for spoiling the story we were making together.
    A boy named Alex was living in a port town. He never knew his father who had died before he was born.
    His father was a sailor. He had left his son a present he got in a far country.

(I think the restriction was extended to twenty words)
    A boy named Alex was living in a port town. He never knew his father who had died before he was born. His father was a sailor. He had left his son a present he got in a far country. Alex wore the silver pendant his father had given him close to his heart and never took it off.
    A boy named Alex was living in a port town. He never knew his father who had died before he was born. His father was a sailor. He had left his son a present he got in a far country. Alex wore the silver pendant his father had given him close to his heart and never took it off.
    His mother ran a restaurant. Alex helped her carrying and washing dishes.
    One evening, a strange old man came, with a parrot on his shoulder.
    A customer whispered Alex that he was a fortune teller.
    'I can tell your fortune young man,' he whispered to Alex.