Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Hermineˋs ninth essay

HermineHermine ModeratorPosts: 6,655 mod
It was a great day today in school. We got taught the way I always stood up for.

On a desk in our classroom there were a few piles of sheet of papers full written of questions. The teachers put beforehand some books of reference at the back of the class. That were: grammar dictionary, atlas, encyclopadie and a novel.
Each child could take a sheet of paper from the dest. The task was to find the right answers. They were allowed to use the books and their common sence.

I can tell you the kids had been so diligent by doing the job. They were so lively. The two sessions were over so fast and some of the kids even skipped the breaks.

Afterwards I spoke to the teacher who was in duty for this kind of learning and told her how great I found those methode of instruction. She told me she was also pretty surprised how keen the children were.

Later in the morning all the school teachers and we the school assistance were in a conference where the headmistress insisted on inothteacher to involve the students to work with.

After the long summer break the teachers seem to be so energetecly. I hope it will remain so.

Comments

• FarmduckFarmduck Posts: 42 ✭✭
    It was a great day today in school. We got taught the way I always stood up for.
    OR more common would be "I/we had a great day in school today." The second sentence I'm not sure of your meaning but "We were taught the way I always wanted? / advocated?" The use of "got" here is common but not the best. It is difficult to separate "good" uses of got from "bad" uses.

On a desk in our classroom there were a few piles of sheet of papers full written of questions.
    there were a few piles of pages of questions.
    "Written" is unnecessary since the only way to put questions on paper is to write/print them. Page is a simpler word than "sheet of paper." Also it would have been sheets (plural)

The teachers put beforehand some books of reference at the back of the class.
    The teachers had put some reference books at the back of the class, including a grammar text, a dictionary, atlas, encyclopaedia and a novel. Note: encyclopedia is probably the most common modern spelling. Also "dictionary" strictly means a book of word meanings. It can sometimes be used to mean a comprehensive alphabetically-organised reference book on a specific subject, such as a medical dictionary, but a book about rules of grammar is strictly a reference book or a grammar text book.

Each child could take a sheet of paper from the dest. The task was to find the right answers. They were allowed to use the books and their common sence.
    Just spelling: desk, sense. Also substitute "page" for "sheet of paper." Not necessary to say "right answers." It is rare in school for the task to be finding the wrong answers.

I can tell you the kids had been so diligent by doing the job. They were so lively. The two sessions were over so fast and some of the kids even skipped the breaks.
    The kids were very diligent. "I can tell you" is unnecessary because we are reading your words so we already know you can tell us. "by doing the job" is also unnecessary since diligence includes doing the job.

I'll finish this off tomorrow. Your meaning is very clear, despite all the points I have made. I always encourage people to keep their English as simple as possible because if you come to an Anglophone country like Australia, many of the people you will encounter are not native English speakers either. In my street, mine was the only house where people spoke English at home.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,655 mod
    Okay, okay @Farmduck, I come from a school where the teachers always wantend us to expand our essays and in school there where I work they say to the students the text should include more then 50 words.
    We were always confronted by using more words. They didnˋt want us to create sentences with just the necessary phrases; subject, verb and an additional object.
  • FarmduckFarmduck Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Keep in mind, this is just my opinion.

I understand your reply but additional words should add additional information or meaning. For example, what were the questions on these pages? You could have picked a question and told us how a student approached it. Which references did they use and what answer did they come up with? This would have given you an extra paragraph which contained extra information and made the whole story more interesting for the reader.

You could have told us why you advocate that form of teaching. What do you consider the advantages of that method? What other methods do you consider less productive? That could give you another paragraph so you would easily reach your word quota but convey much more information to the reader.

In Hamlet, Shakespeare wrote "Brevity is the soul of wit." I agree with him.
    @Farmdruck, I see, youˋre right with your explanation.

Iˋll try in one of my next essays to inform the reader with more interesting facts.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Hermine I think that was a good start of the new school year. I think on this way the social skills of the children who could work together at the same questions were also improved.
    I know if you find an answer on a question and you can explain it on a paper or in a dicussion, then you remember this better. There is a quote who says: "While we do it ourselves, we learn better."
    I remember me also the start a new school year, and I miss it a bit, because it was my job for 43 years. I wish you a good team with a continuous energy during the full school year.
    @Paulette, thank you for your post. I think I have to change the style of my writtings. If I want to expand the sentences Iˋll have to give more information to the readers than to explain the exact outcome of a situation.
    @Farmdruckˋ s given me a good and helpful hint.