Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Sentences that drew your attention

DeucalionDeucalion Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
edited September 6 in Quotes
Everybody reads something daily. Rather often we meet some sentences that draw our attention. It could be humorous or sarcastic, it could carry a deep insight or evoke a feeling. It struck me that it would be interesting if we have the possibility to just drop them here so as other forum dwellers see some of the short flashes that struk our minds in the current day.
What this branch is not supposed to be is a place where to place jokes. Branches for jokes already exist.

Comments

• DeucalionDeucalion Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    edited September 6
    "His words staggered her and she stared at him in disbelief."
    (It is so unfair when decent people are betrayed :( )
    edited September 6
    "Sluggards stagger from trouble to trouble."
    (I'd like to not belong to them :/ )
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,669 mod
    -test-
    (to know if this post will appear in Recent Discussions.) :)
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,669 mod
    Excellent! Keep up the good work pal. ;)
  • enesenes Posts: 36 ✭✭
    'Was it a car or cat ı saw' - if u read in reverse u will see the same.
    > @enes said:
    > 'Was it a car or cat ı saw' - if u read in reverse u will see the same.

:o It's amazing! I've never supposed such sentences exist. Thanks for sharing @enes . :)
    u re welcome
    > @kindgnice said:
    > Excellent! Keep up the good work pal. ;)

Thanks, @kindgnice! :smile:
    "My word is my bond."
    My word is my bond! What about yo-u-u-u?!!! :rage:
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A sentence what I used as a teacher: 'We do it with man and power'. It means: all of us set ourselves for 100%.
    And so we had good results.
    edited September 8
    It sounds compelling! You are good at inspiring people, @Paulette.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,727 mod
    Deucalion said:

"His words staggered her and she stared at him in disbelief."

(It is so unfair when decent people are betrayed :( )

I agree with you there. And a lot of the time, you find that it really is the most decent people who are betrayed in the worst way, and that is the most unfair thing.
    'Don't worry be happy'
    That's an expression we sometimes hear, but sometimes we can be happy while we are worry.
    I think, for example at the moment your children leave the house, on the one hand, you are happy that they are independent and on the other hand you are worry about how they will make it.
    edited September 9
    Unfortunately you are right, @GemmaRowlands . This is an interesting question - how to spot those who are able to betray.
    edited September 9
    > @Paulette said:
    > ... you are happy that they are independent and on the other hand you are worry about how they will make it.
    The world consistently evolves into being more and more intricate, so children have to learn more and more and to do it fast as to be able to handle successfully the life's stumbling blocks and challenges. Beside acquiring actionable knowledge, it is very important to develop the common sense in children. For this, they need to be exposed to real life's hassles and let them deal with those hassles on their own even through experiencing pain. But when to do it, if they consume all their time for learning the school subjects? In European countries pupils in the last grades have to learn only 4 subjects. In our country they must learn 12! Unfortunately most of them being simply irrelevant do nothing but doom the diligent pupils to wasting a lot precious time they could use for getting real "muscles".
    'Don't worry be happy' :/
    Thanks @Deucalion, don't worry I am happy and all my children (5) are also happy, they do it very good and they gave me already 12 grandchildren (number 13 is coming soon). All my children have studied and my husband and me have taught them to be self-sufficient when they were very young because we both had a job.
    My children are clever and we help them if necessary or if we like it to do it.
    But at the moment they leaved our house then I felt somewhat worried. :|
    edited September 9
    5 children and 12 grandchildren with the number 13 coming soon? :o
    Wow! You are very rich, @Paulette! I really felt a twinge of envy when I read about it. I'm sure all of them brought to you a lot of unforgettable moments that filled you life with that special feeling called happiness. Let them all be healthy, smart and lucky. :smile:
    @Deucalion oh yes all of them are happy, smart and lucky because they know that it is important to be alive. One of my children has died at a young age and all the sisters and brothers know that, and sometimes when we are together we bring her between us with a slide show because she live further in all the hearts of us.
    Such a thing makes people stronger and closer to each other. <3
    "Everyone wants happiness,no one wants pain.But you can't have a rainbow,without a little rain." this quotes defines u exactly@Paulette.I feel deeply sadness for you.But the past is your lesson the present is your gift.the future is your motivation.
    @enes thanks for these sympathetic words. I have give this a place and I am happy because my daughter is still in my heart. And do you know I love rainbows so much, and a 1/2 hour ago I saw one here, maybe it was a sign that somenone thought of me! ;)
    @Paulette what a good coincidence
  • FarmduckFarmduck Posts: 42 ✭✭
    I don't dislike him but if I wanted to kill myself I would jump off his ego onto his IQ.
    edited September 9
    I am deeply sorry to find out about that, @Paulette. :( The way you speak about her is really touching.
    I live opposite to a big park in which there are 3 lakes. About 35 years ago a little boy sank in one of that lakes. Since then a little cross was installed on the shore with the picture of that boy. You know, every year on Christmas Eve some Christmas tree toys appear there together with some sweets and a couple of mandarins. So many years have already passed but they still appear there again and again! Usually the weather is cloudy and windy that time in the year and when I pass by that place and see those toys and sweets, my heart shrinks. :pensive: Only mothers know what it is to go through such experience. I feel a deep sympathy for all mommies who went through such thing.
    @Deucalion thanks for sharing this story and your nice words. Do you know that it is very good if people dare speak about your child. And very strange but true, it's also 35 years since our daughter died, it was on April 1, 1982, but she did very suddenly a hemorrhage, and then the world stood still for me for a while.
    You keep all your children and grandchildren in your heart, @Paulette. I guess they are different like the colors of a rainbow and make your life colorful. You wrote that after your children had left your home sometimes you feel somewhat worried about them. It is normal for such mother like you. A careful mother sometimes experiences such feelings even when her children are doing well. The rainbow you saw today is a good sign. Everything will be all right.
    edited September 11
    > @Farmduck said:
    > I don't dislike him but if I wanted to kill myself I would jump off his ego onto his IQ.
    It carries a harsh sarcasm, @Farmduck. I'm wondering who would deserve it.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    What's with all these 'u's @Deucalion and @enes? Don't you mean you? 'U' might work with sms messages but here?
    edited September 11
    Thank you @mheredge for pointing it out to me. It's very nice of you. :)
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    I'm just being fussy @Deucalion! I'm not being nice!!
    What has happened to you, @mheredge? Why are you being fussy and are not being nice? :hushed: