Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

3000 most important words

12 years ago I moved to New Zealand. My native language is not English!
14 years ago I started to learn English words! 2 years I was studying 5 new words every day.
There were no smart phones neither I had a computer. I cut little cards and wrote the word and translation on the other side!
So over 2 years, my English vocabulary had populated by around 3600 words!

When I arrived in NZ I knew a lot of different words, which surprised native speakers and teachers at English school! It helped me to take an IELTS test, however, after so many years I realised that around 50% of words I learned back in 2003 got forgotten! I have never used those words!
They vanished out of my memory!

Back at English school, the teacher gave us a list of 3000 the most important words in everyday English! Nowadays this list is available online!
I wish I had this list 14 years ago! It would be awesome!
I remember, in public transport, flipping those cards I was hoping memorizing every new word, that this word is important and will be useful!
It could dramatically demotivate to study if you think that you never going to use this word!

I had this list of 3000 words printed at home and I scanned it and emailed to my friends and family as a great and precious resource.
How many of them do you think used it?

NONE !

NOBODY !

Even my best friend. Over 12 years I tried to make him study English! But no success so far!

But something happened recently! Some hope arrived at the horizon!

My English is not very good, so I read books and taking notes of new words.
I record those words and study them but the list was growing very long!
When I had 300 advanced words I decided to code a program to help myself to memorize the words! (I am a web-developer, so I can do this kind of stuff)

I made it locally at my PC and it felt very addictive to use this program!

I thought! Why don't I make a 3000 words vocabulary, load them to the program and set it up online? And I have done it!
Firstly, for myself. It works perfectly
Secondly, for my friends! Some of them hooked up already!

I uploaded this program online only last week. It's being used by my friends now and I keep improving the user experience.
I don't want somebody to repeat my mistake by memorising not common words.

so here is my program. Maybe it will be useful for you?

http://3000words.info

Comments

• thuyvothuyvo Posts: 50 ✭✭
    thanks @3000CoreWords
  • FarmduckFarmduck Posts: 42 ✭✭
    @3000CoreWords I'm a native English speaker so I tried it in French and I don't understand the scoring system. What does 1/4 indicate?