Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

The influence of social media on teenagers

mailanmailan Posts: 16 ✭✭
Have you ever hung out with a group of people, just chilling and chatting, but one person pulls out the phone then another person and then everyone has their phone on,shut off from the ppl (people) around them. Everyone looks away from the ppl they're with to watch videos or see some funny stuff on Facebook. This is a very common experience that happens around us everyday, which tell us the strong influence of sm ( social media ) on teenager.
As we all know, in the past couple of years, our life has really transformed because of sm. It changes the way we do business, the way we live in society and last but not least the way ppl interact with one another by offering more convenience, but less quality. Are we becoming more concerned with Facebook ' friends' than the ppl we interact with face-to-face in our daily life ? Well,it seems that we are replacing these close intimate relationships with our real relationships. These ppl are not authentic. You don't know who's behind the screen and have no real way of knowing what kind of person you're talking to. Sometimes, it's really bad if you unfortunately meet criminals.
One unfavourable side of sm is that it create the line of separation in our relationships. Teenagers tend to let sm take priority over things that should come first like school, family and health. It is supposed that at least 80% of young users check their phone right after waking up in the morning and every 6 minutes during the day, to look for the latest tweet or status update. As I tell you at the begining, I think sm can really ruin our relationships. It's depressing that everyone is far more interested in the screen than the ppl in front of them. Sherry Turkle MIT has called this ' alone together' that sometimes when we're in a social group or when we're with one another that we can ruin that experience by coming into the mediated environment.
Brian Solis said: ' Sm is more about sociology and psychology than technology'. Ppl don't share facts, they share emotion. Some ppl who see others'posts like a luxurious restaurant or a romantic beach would say, could feel really disappointed because of their thinking everyone's lives look better than theirs. Ppl who frequently use these sites are prone to social isolation which lead to decreased social skills. We have a growing amount of research telling that if spend a large portions of our day in a state of fragment attention to take a quick glance at notifications, it can permanently reduce our capacity for attention. Computer and cellphone monitors have been prove to cause eyes strain ,leading to poor eyesight. Along with it is the muscle weakness, back , neck and joint pain caused by the lack of movement.
On the other hand, young ppl are often too open and public with personal information online. This lack of privacy is one of the cause of cyber-bullying. Additionally, sm enables the spread of false rumours and fake news. Furthermore, I think it's very important for us to consider whether or not we should post something online, as it'll be there forever. And 5 years down the line, when you know you need to switch career or enter a new job, your employer can actually access to your Facebook and justify about what you posted. Whether it was humorous or not, you may find yourself in a bigger problem.' What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, what happens on Twitter stays on Google forever' said Rich Simmonds.
Nevertheless, in spite of disadvantages, we can't deny the advantages that sm brings to us. With social networking sites such as Facebook, communication has never been quicker. Ppl now can connect with their friend even if they're many miles away. Sm also provides academic research to everyone in every fields. As one of the biggest communities, it turns out to be a quite ideal place to show your initiatives.
With sm sites being used by 1/3 of the entire world, they've clearly had a major influence on society. Like everything, sm has its pros and cons but it seems that the negative outweigh the positive things. This isn't to say that you should throw away your smartphone and delete your sm account, though I mean maybe you should. These sites may be useful, but that's all they are-tools, not lifestyle. All in all, we should use them responsibly to eliminate cons and increase positive aspect not only for our life but also for the society.

This is my essay, please tell me if there are mistakes and unreasonable things . Thanks !

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,975 mod
    You might find this video interesting @mailan. It is all about this subject.

• FarmduckFarmduck Posts: 42 ✭✭
    As a point of style, the full name should come first, followed by the abbreviation: The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). After that we can use UNHCR.
    Also, as a matter of style I would have capitalised Social Media (SM). That way I know what SM means in the subsequent text. I've spent a lot of time on YouTube so sm just looks like a spelling mistake to me.

" the negative outweigh the positive things" I prefer "the negatives outweigh the positives." Even though negative and positive are adjectives, we have travelled far enough into the discussion to understand the implied noun. By contrast, if we only used one, we would use the noun: "Of course there is a negative side."

Don't use ppl in an essay. It's okay for text or internet comments.

"the strong influence of sm ( social media ) on teenager." should be teenagers.

" that if spend a large portions of our day in a state of fragment attention to take a quick glance at notifications," if we spend a large portion of our day in a state of fragmented attention

Instead of "Sherry Turkle MIT" it would have been better to say "Sherry Turkle, Professor of the Social Studies of Science and Technology at MIT." It makes her opinion sound more researched and profound (even though it may not be, but since you are quoting her to support your ideas, might as well use her qualifications.)

"Sherry Turkle MIT has called this ' alone together' that sometimes when we're in a social group or when we're with one another that we can ruin that experience by coming into the mediated environment."
    Sherry Turkle ..... has called this phenomenon "alone together," meaning that etc, etc.

" social isolation which lead to decreased social skills." should be leads.
    I'm not sure, from a philosophical perspective, that you can make this statement:
    "Ppl who frequently use these sites are prone to social isolation which lead to decreased social skills."
    I don't think you have presented enough information to justify this claim. It may be true but based on what? If I find one person who lives in a large family and works in a large office and has 10 hours a day of direct personal contact but also frequently uses social media then I have disproved your claim. To maintain this claim you would also need to show that it isn't the other way around - People with decreased social skills are prone to social isolation.

Overall it's a good topic and your ideas are clearly laid out and it was easy for me to follow your line of reasoning.
    Here is a relevant article from 2016 which I found today: https://theconversation.com/so-long-social-media-the-kids-are-opting-out-of-the-online-public-square-53274
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,975 mod
    You might find some interesting comments on this subject also in the Millennials topic @mailen. There's also one on how Facebook makes us dumb.
    I think a lot of people are over-generalising their conclusions on this issue. I've seen so much written about millennials and social media and I think too much of it is anecdotal and attempts to draw hard conclusions from insufficient data. I have millennial nieces and nephews and I see from their Facebook photos that, even though they are all IT-literate, they are also still fully engaged in the "real" world. I have 2 nephews who trained in Education for Intellectually-Impaired students and worked in that field. Another nephew is in the Navy. Nearly all my nieces and nephews are married and/or parents by the age of 30 so they are capable of, and willing to maintain personal relationships in the real world.

One of my sisters was a farmer and her daughters have become a psychologist and a social worker so their whole working lives are based on direct personal contact with real people. If I can find all these stories about young people with full access to all social media without becoming consumed by it then it suggests to me that there must be plenty of others out there. There is a lot of house-building in my area at the moment and probably half those workers are under 30.

I'm aware of the potential dependence on the internet and social media but if Millennials can be roof-tilers, bricklayers, psychologists, teachers and Naval personnel then obviously they can't be too different from previous generations.