Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

My Intensive reading.

BellBell Posts: 18 ✭✭
There's two reasons I have not posted in this forum as regular as I wished for, First, I don't know why but I get a long with the old forum more than this one. Second, I got stuck like hell with my English level despite the slight improvement from Upper intermediate to advanced with weak vocabulary.

Along with English I decided to learn French and that needed me to be more organized and more specific about my goals and the material I am using. I already bought my notebook where I am going to start a journal - inspired by The famous Bullet journal - to get things out of my head, be more organized, and to keep track of my progress and my methods.

I'll be busy for the next week and I wont be able to study but I still can read intensively in English and for that I picked up a novel by Austin Freeman, For the defence, Dr.Thorndyke. I am in the third chapter (extensive reading) but I went back to the second chapter to read it intensively. That's why I am starting this thread, to ask about very difficult words which when I look them up the dictionary makes it even more difficult to understand.

Here we goes:

Finally, into the same receptacle he put one or two small and trivial paintings little more than sketches-which he had hardly thought worth
offering to his dealer. Of course, he was not going to offer them now. Their presence in the attache case was merely a concession
sentiment. He didn't want to tell more lies than were absolutely necessary.

A concession sentiment. When I looked them up individually it really confused me. I like to have like a one word synonym. It's kind of make it easier for me to remember the words and their meanings. I hope I can get some help here and thanks in advanced. :)