Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Do you believe that city's life make you rude?

icha_15icha_15 Posts: 127 ✭✭
edited August 20 in Chit Chat
I ever read an article on a website which mentioned about the correlation between them. It was tending to our unaware and egoism deeds that were caused by our busy in real life. Do you agree with this and why?could you give some reasons about your points of views based on that fact.
I thank you for your participating then.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,975 mod
    I think often people in big cities are busier and have less time to stop and chat (or even be polite). It's a shame but it seems to be fairly consistent all over the world. I don't think there's any excuse for being rude however.
  • mounamouna Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭
    I agree with you @mheredge.When I was mOving to live in Algiers the capital of my country I found that people are stressed and didn't have time to chat,they are less timide also.after 05 years I became like them.
  • zaiymurszaiymurs Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    Even some people do not know who their neighbours is, people of the left house out of home on 5.30 a.m, while neighbour on the right always has a night shift, some people have to work on weekend but off on weekdays, whilst others working on normal hour. Maybe people do not know the person they encounter in supermarket is the one who live nearby. Any possibility could happen.
  • aliarabataliarabat Posts: 9
    In my view, I think the life in city is stressed due to lots of indicators, the road traffic is so damn, if you want to go to work for example you should stop every time "wasting of time", the excessive use of cars pollute the environment, furthermore the people became reticent , they use phones everywhere they go to.
  • icha_15icha_15 Posts: 127 ✭✭
    Yes, city makes us cruel, less of sensitiveness and inhuman sometimes. I ever saw the picture that presented a situation in a train showing a younger woman sat on the passenger seat and an expectant mother who stood beside her. It is ironic that the younger woman had no empathy to the weak people around. Another passenger around her took picture of her and spread it to the internet and become viral.

The second example is a gadget. How could the gadgets occupy all our attention? We are made by it to be dumb people (including me :D). Just information I take bus and online transportation sometime to go anywhere. When I take bus, there is small possibility to interact one another passenger in the bus, ones is busy with he/she gadget. It is so pathetic. We is connecting to the people who is far away from us but we are so distant with the people around us.

I think what you are all wrote here is the same with my thoughts.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,975 mod
    I agree @icha_15. Though I usually find buses can sometimes be better than the metro for engaging with the person sitting next to you. Though this tends to be easier with older people too.