Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Procrastination is the thief of time

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 26,992 mod
How many of you put things off that you don't want to do?

At primary school I had a teacher who was always telling us 'Procrastination is the thief of time.' It is true. The more you hesitate, putting things off, the bigger the task seems to be.

Tomorrow never comes!

What things do you put off?

Comments

• nomad81nomad81 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    I have read about procrastination and it applies to me too. I notice that I often put off my tasks for tomorrow. I try fight with this because I saw how many things that I could learn or to do, I had lost. So, I implemented a 'pomodoro system' and I do one thing for 25 minutes. I don't click on Facebook or You Tube, only my task. To me, it works and an important, if I break a rule, I will try again.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,307 mod
    I work from home as a freelancer, so I know all about procrastination! Sometimes I can make tasks span for hours that only really need to take one hour. I have been working from home for the past five years, so you would think I'd be better at it. Perhaps I never will be!
  • zaiymurszaiymurs Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    Yup, couldn't agree more " Tomorrow Never Comes ", never know what could be happen tomorrow, i used to planned to do something before this, and tried to delayed it 2 hours later, but unfortunately i fall asleep.
  • zaiymurszaiymurs Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    @nomad81 ,You Tube is a big distraction and are always came into my mind when i were in front of my PC at home, at first i tried to listen to some music but i end up watching some viral and interesting video, it is hard to resist.

@GemmaRowlands , sometimes i took and did some freelance job at home, the feeling at office is different than at home, lots of thing to do at home, out to convenience shop for a while even it is not necessary might procrastinate me. Yup thing should to take an hour but it took longer than it supposed to be. :(
    @zaiymurs Yesterday, I watch a videoblog one of computer programmer about procrastination. He claimed that procrastination is demonised because sometimes it is needed. He gave an example his blog, that he has been working for 7 years. His slogan is the Rolling Stones' song 'Time is on our side'
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,992 mod
    I'm not sure I agree that procrastination is needed @nomad81. I think it is an unfortunate malaise and I am really trying to kick the habit.
  • manjuammanjuam Posts: 20 ✭✭
    People need to do meditation No procarstination
    Hahaha @manjuam, I often procrastinate about doing meditation!
    @mheredge I fight with my procrastination all time, I try to do things which I really need. My main problem is sometimes pointless clicking on others information websites. I have scheduled a my learning patch which I want to realize because I feel more firmly this way.
    The internet can be the biggest time waster @nomad81. I suffer this problem all the time. It is so easy to get immersed in all sorts of trivia that is a great distraction from the things that have to be done.
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    edited August 20
    I think I am a person who procrastinates things until I have no option to procrastinate them any more. Because situations often change, and the things you procrastinated might become not necessary to be done. But I agree with you, you should not procrastinate things only because you don't want to do it. It's just laziness.
    I sometimes think where is a border between laziness and procrastination? Maybe it is the same. We can say that we are in phase of procrastination and the fact of the matter is we don't want to do it.
    I agree with you @nomad81. I know that I procrastinate out of sheer laziness. And like you @Yellowtail, I put things off until I really can't delay any more. It's strange because as a student I was always one to do my homework or assignments early and wasn't one of those who left it to the last minute, having to burn the midnight oil. But mundane jobs like filing my paperwork, doing my tax return, writing to the insurance company - I really have to force myself to get these tasks done.
  • YuliaYulia Posts: 50 ✭✭
    I often procrastinate about doing housework. For example I know that I need to wash the dishes but instead I watch videos or read something on the Internet. But at least I do it in English and though I procrastinate I also learn English ☺
    I always procrastinate when it comes to housework @Yulia. But I don't have a good excuse like you do.
  • aki33aki33 Posts: 2
    I can completely identify with almost everything you wrote here, particularly the inability to maintain focus on the project at hand without an ensuing storm of other projects flooding my brain.
    My search for answers began a few years ago when I read a book by a well known author of self help books. The author stated emphatically, that "procrastination" was just a fancy word for "not doing," and, if I recall correctly, he also wrote that "perfectionists" relied on "procrastination" as their defense for completing "inferior" time sensitive work.
    I completely bought into this definition, with the exception that "not doing" did not quite fit with "substitution" procrastination; I was doing something, but I avoided working on my most pressing project.
    A do not remember when, but somewhere along the time when "the Habits for Successful Individuals" mania rehit the book market (and I had to review it for https://www.freelancer.com/ as well as for http://writepaperforme.org/), I found there was another term where I fell woefully short, and that was my inability to "prioritize." At last a strategy I could learn and all I had to do was assign every project a priority; this lasted until "prioritize" was replaced by "multi-tasking." How could I prioritize if I was required to multi-task?
    Thanks for your story and the tips; I will break out the pen and pad "tomorrow."
    I even put off writing the 'to do list'!
    I remember when I with my flatmate did housework only so that not to learn exam. We cleaned a whole flat, washed the windows. After it, we were so tired that we decided to go to a pub and to start learning a next day.
    Hahaha yes, I find I do housework instead of the things I really don't want to do @nomad81. There are times when even the household chores are more inviting. I felt incredibly satisfied yesterday though when I posted off my tax return, a couple of letters to cancel insurance and to send a form off to sort out something else.
  • elancer2013elancer2013 Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Few exceptional people who do procrastination they always look for perfection but i think they need to work on 80 / 20 rule. I heard from strategist that if you want to stop your self from procrastination then you need to work on 20 minutes rule. In 20 minute rule we have to set the timer and hide watch from us and we just need to focus on work without any procrastination. i hope this can be resolved procrastination.