Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

May i introduce my self

equinoxequinox Posts: 14 ✭✭
Hello everybody. In this thread i'll introduce my self. My name is (equinox). icome from Indonesia. a country with so many resources inside it, but it cannot manage it ( sorry :smiley: but it's a fact) yes, it's a fact. it's our (me and my generation) task, changging this country to the better country. Okay,back to the topic.I was born on 5th July 2001, and i study at my lovely school MAN 3 Malang. Oh, i forgot my purpose of make this thread is i want asking you (all that read this thread) to be my i-pal (internet pal). Okay, i'll tell you some about me.
I've a lot of hobbies, one of them is doing an experiment with electronic stuff. Yes, electronic stuff. So, why I didn't choose the other hobbies? cos i so love it, i think it's like an apple in my eye.Btw, did you know arduino(the most famous development board in this world, i think)?if you know it, it's good.we can share everything about it.Oh, i'll tell you about my current project, an "smart"watch, yes an smartwatch, i'll use an OLED for the display, DHT11 for temperature snesor, GY-87 for the pedometer and compass, and other sensor.if i have completed this project. I'll join wearable contest in intructables, and then i'll share the code, stay tuned.
okay just that. i don't have many word to "say". i think it's enough. Thank you for visiting my thread. and then whaddya think about to be my i-pal, please post bellow. Thank you

Sorry for my bad english, please correct me, i'll always improve my english cos i've a dream to be the part of MIT.
Thank you :smiley:

Comments

• KA1KA1 Posts: 86 ✭✭
    Hi @equinox
  • equinoxequinox Posts: 14 ✭✭
    > @KA1 said:
    > Hi @equinox
    >

Hi @KA1, Nice to talk with you
    whre do you come from?
    Sorry, i forgot to add my name, my name is thoriq
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @equinox,

I have never heard of Arduino. You said it's a development board, but what does it mean? What is a "development board". Actually I know nothing about electronics, reading DHT11, GY-87 sounded like reading an alien language to me. It looks like I'm going to learn new stuff. :D

When do you think you will finish your smart watch? Will you be able to keep it after you finish it? Will it be yours?

It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
    Hi @Zom

Hahaha, alien language....
    Development board is ummm...
    it's like a motherboard but it's using a microchip like atmega,stm32 or another, it's used for making a project like smartwatch clock robot or another to used it you must program the microchip from your computer using arduino IDE.:D CMIIW
    for the DHT11 and GY-87
    they're sensor
    DHT11 for temperature and humidity sensor
    and then GY-87 for accelometer and compass sensor
    I think i will finish it on the next weekend
    Yes, actually it will be mine
    Hi @Zom
    Btw, what is your hobby?
    how if we share our hobby each other?
    i'll share everything about electronic stuff
    and you'll share everything about your hobby?
    whaddya think about that?
    > @equinox said:
    >
    > Hi @KA1, Nice to talk with you
    > whre do you come from?

@equinox Sydney, Australia
    @equinox - Okay I've undertsood what a development board. What will be exactly the different functions of your smart watch? Based on the sensors you have mentioned I guess it'll be able to count the steps when you go for a walk and give information about the weather. Am I right? Will there be more functions?

My favourite hobby is travelling and learning from others. It probably comes from my childhood when I wanted to become a "compagnon" in carpentry. Compagnon is a French word. Here it means that I wanted to learn carpentry from the best craftsmen and/or artisans while travelling France. It didn't happen, but it's probably where my favourite hobby, learning from others while travelling, comes from.
    @KA1 Glad to see an Aussie around. ^^
    > @KA1 said:
    > > @equinox said:
    > >
    > > Hi @KA1, Nice to talk with you
    > > whre do you come from?
    >
    > @equinox Sydney, Australia

Australia? wow, you're my neighbor, glad to see an Aussie \^_^/
    > @Zom said:
    > @equinox - Okay I've undertsood what a development board. What will be exactly the different functions of your smart watch? Based on the sensors you have mentioned I guess it'll be able to count the steps when you go for a walk and give information about the weather. Am I right? Will there be more functions?
    >
    > My favourite hobby is travelling and learning from others. It probably comes from my childhood when I wanted to become a "compagnon" in carpentry. Compagnon is a French word. Here it means that I wanted to learn carpentry from the best craftsmen and/or artisans while travelling France. It didn't happen, but it's probably where my favourite hobby, learning from others while travelling, comes from.

Yeah, that's right, my smartwatch is able to count the step, for the weather i think i will not add it cos the wifi chip is too big for my smartwatch.

wow travelling, have you gone to my country, indonesia?
    @equinox I am in Sydney, Australia
    @equinox - I have never visited Indonesia. Actually in this part of the world, I have only been to Australia. I love travelling, but alas I can't make it very often.

Re your smartwatch, I'm a bit disappointed. It seems that it will just be used as a pedometer, won't it? Why did you add all these sensors, a temperature, humidity and compass sensors, if you are just going to use the accelerometer sensor.

By the way, will you watch give the time? Will you be able to connect it to a smart phone? Will you be able to keep the data it records?
    @Zom
    oh okay..
    no, it can be used to display the time, alarm, schedule reminder, calendar, heart rate,or maybe i'll add temperature sensor (if the sensor is fit to the smartwatch)
    for the "Will you be able to connect it to smartphone?" question, i think i'll not add this function cos the Bluetooth chip is too big, it's not fit to my smartwatch.
    @KA1
    Btw, have yo gone to Indonesia?

@Zom and @KA1
    Thank you in advance
    i've submitted this conversation to my teacher
    thank for your help :D
    Without your help i wouldn't get score
    Thank you
    You are welcome @equinox.

Get back to us to tell us whether your teacher liked it. :smiley:
    @equinox no I haven't been to Indonesia
    @KA1
    okay...
  • AndrewSotnikovAndrewSotnikov Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Hello. My name is Andrew. I am 28 years old. I work engineer, hope in future I will go deep into IT. My hobbies is: cycling, dance, programming, Linux, reading and writing articles.
    I want to improve my English speaking skills and learn to write contrast and interesting text).
    If someone want to discuss on technical topics, art, music, books or just meet a friend - be free before write to me.
    Welcome to the forum @AndrewSotnikov.

Have a great time here.
    @Zom thanks!)
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,007 mod
    Where are you from @AndrewSotnikov? What sort of engineer are you?
    @mheredge I work in aerospace industry, that placed here, in Ukraine. My job is more closer to mechanical engineering. I develop techincal documentation for life support system components.