Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What bugs you most?

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 26,992 mod
edited August 7 in Chit Chat
A survey of what bugged Brits most came out with 'problems' like not having a Wi-Fi signal, satsumas with pips and the 5p bag charge. Having to use opener because the tin doesn't have a ring pull also made the cut.

There is not much more annoying than having no Wi-Fi, leaving you rely on the vagaries of your top-of-the range phone's 4G signal. This just narrowly pips at the post finding your satsuma has pips in it or receiving a 'we missed you' card for a failed parcel delivery (this infuriates me most, especially because the postman can't be bothered ever to ring my bell to see if I'm in).

This article lists the 50 things that bug Brits the most. Are there any here you get steamed up over? What bugs you more than anything?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3377721/Survey-reveals-50-world-problems-bug-most.html#ixzz4p5xdg3hY

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,992 mod
    edited August 7
    This video is a funny comment on 25 first world problems.

http://list25.com/25-first-world-problems/
    And this article that will be the subject for TARS on Tuesday 8 August (@dope, @nidhii, @Monik, @april, @Marco, @Nippur, @mhoz000, @Diakha, @vinayagarwalkdl, @peaceculture2). .

20 Stupid Problems You Have No Right To Complain About: Sit down and stop your whinging.

http://whatculture.com/offbeat/20-stupid-problems-you-right-complain

• nomad81nomad81 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    As for me - having a runny nose, a rest I will survive :)
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,307 mod
    What bugs me the most is when people are always negative. I like to look on the bright side of life whenever possible!
  • Serg_KimSerg_Kim Posts: 12 ✭✭
    It looks like that I have very similar problems with Brits. I don't know what a Sky+ is, but most of the list looks familiar. To add to the list - it really bugs me when someone do not answer a call on a mobile... Why giving your phone number if you are not going to answer? If you can't talk right now - drop the call or send a message.
    I have a problem getting to my phone in time to answer it sometimes @Serg_Kim. Not everyone has it in their hand all the time or sitting beside them. Mine is invariably in my bag so I don't always even hear it if I'm outside and it's noisy.

Then when it switches to voice mail, I tend to only receive a message to say I have a new message the day after! I am thinking to put a message on my voice mail to tell callers it doesn't work and they should send an sms instead.
  • Serg_KimSerg_Kim Posts: 12 ✭✭
    @mheredge That is exactly the case that bugs me :). I'm getting really nervous when someone behaves this way.
    Have a look at the documentary I posted in the topic about interesting documentaries @Serg_Kim. You might find it interesting. The video is very good in suggesting how many millennials are too obsessed with being connected and that they don't have time now for deep and real relationships.
  • nidhiinidhii Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    Honesty bugs me most @elancer2013 What do you think?
    Do you really mean that @nidhii? For me, people who pretend to be honest bug me. Fraudsters or con-artists are people I try to avoid.
    @mheredge I think honesty is kaput in today's world.In one way or other every one is dishonest so whenever I see in most rarest case honesty so it bother me most that how someone can manage to be honest in present world that's why I said honesty bugs me.
  • elancer2013elancer2013 Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Honesty never bugs me but the bugs always bugs me @nidhii
    Honesty never bugs me but the bugs always bugs me @nidhii
    For me honesty is rare of rarest things and dishonesty is so common So it's not more a bug for me .But I can say honesty bugs me in a positive way.
    That's a shame that you find so little honesty @nidhii. I think most people are essentially good, honest people but there are always a few that aren't. Politicians and the media tend to be dishonest but I still have a lot of faith in ordinary people.
    @nidhii i must say rather we wait for honesty we should become honest like you.
    > @mheredge said:
    > That's a shame that you find so little honesty @nidhii. I think most people are essentially good, honest people but there are always a few that aren't. Politicians and the media tend to be dishonest but I still have a lot of faith in ordinary people.

I agree with you
    mheredge wrote: »
    That's a shame that you find so little honesty @nidhii. I think most people are essentially good, honest people but there are always a few that aren't. Politicians and the media tend to be dishonest but I still have a lot of faith in ordinary people.

With opportunity ordinary people Honesty convert into dishonesty . Honesty should be constant .Media and Politician are made up of ordinary people.People choose to go in media and in politics from Mass .It's not like that there is no honesty but I think there is opportunistic Honesty not constant one. Although I do believe that honesty is the best policy.
    @nidhii i must say rather we wait for honesty we should become honest like you.

I can't say that I am honest in every accept and in every thing.
    What is bugging me now is that people feel like I'm available all the time just because I work from home. No, I'm not! I have two books to proofread and a list of 110 articles to get through!
    Maybe you need to turn your phone off for a few hours and not check emails for a short time while you concentrate on what you have to do @GemmaRowlands You could even put an 'out of the office' response message to say you will be unavailable for the next day or two.
    > @GemmaRowlands said:
    > What is bugging me now is that people feel like I'm available all the time just because I work from home. No, I'm not! I have two books to proofread and a list of 110 articles to get through!

It happen sometime if you are available and if you talk everyday this kind of expectation happen in mind. @GemmaRowlands
    > @nidhii said:
    > elancer2013 wrote: »
    >
    > @nidhii i must say rather we wait for honesty we should become honest like you.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I can't say that I am honest in every accept and in every thing.

But we can say that as far as i know about you @nidhii
    mheredge said:

Maybe you need to turn your phone off for a few hours and not check emails for a short time while you concentrate on what you have to do @GemmaRowlands You could even put an 'out of the office' response message to say you will be unavailable for the next day or two.

Yes, I suppose I could do that. But there are a couple of people who need to be able to contact me so it's difficult to find a way to allow them to do that without allowing everyone else to do it, too!
    @GemmaRowlands I think you need to automate it.
    Waiting for the bus to fill up before it leaves bugs me especially when I was told 45 minutes ago that it was scheduled to leave at 10. It's a Saturday morning and there's only two of us on the bus. I wonder how long we'll have to wait.
    > @nidhii said:
    > elancer2013 wrote: »
    >
    > @nidhii i must say rather we wait for honesty we should become honest like you.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I can't say that I am honest in every accept and in every thing.

But we can say that as far as i know about you @nidhii

It's your Kindness
    edited September 16
    The dishonesty of the bus conductor bugged me today. Not only did we leave over an hour later but he also dropped me off at the wrong place.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is the boundary between honesty and lying. A lie can sometimes also have a meaning of showing respect for someone.
    Sometimes honesty and lie are very close together.
    Example: A girlfriend is very happy with her new dress she bought yesterday. She shows her dress but you do not really like it. Will you say honestly, it's ugly or sounds a next answer (circumventing the truth) no better: "It's a very separate dress". Is this expression unfair for you?
    I think that circumventing the truth sometimes can be a respectful behavior is for someone.
    edited September 19
    To call a dress 'separate' doesn't mean anything @Paulette but you could describe it as 'unique' or 'special' to mean something is not quite to your taste.
    Post edited by mheredge on
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge I know 'separate' means here in that case nothing, but I want to lie and I can't say the dress is ugly, so I circumvent the truth.