Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Cheerful news (sarcasm)

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,476 mod
Tagged:

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,476 mod
    Oh dear @Paulette. Maybe I will put this in the "In The News" section, and we can wallow in our misery. :wink:
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,992 mod
    @Lynne humans are pretty adaptable and I'm sure more people will find ways to keep cool when it's very hot. Heat waves affect people who are not used to them. Think positively!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,307 mod
    Well I would be very surprised if I was still around in 2100.. but it is worrying news for my children and grandchildren I suppose! Always nice to read that we're doomed..
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 719 ✭✭✭
    To save power cost, I have not used the air conditioner since a few years ago. I have adapted myself to summer heat. So I also have a positive view on human's future.
    I think many people are becoming a lot more conscious of things like this @Yellowtail but it needs for more people to understand resources are finite and that they should use them more carefully.

Eatng healthily could also help save the planet.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jun/29/usda-diet-nutrition-environment-sustainability-omega-3-beef

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,476 mod
    edited August 10
    @mheredge - sadly I know too much about human physiology to think positive about this one. (PS - Is broccoli really a good idea? It contains raffinose which could cause more global warming.) ;)

@GemmaRowlands - You said exactly what my brother-in-law said, but he didn't add anything apart from - "Well I won't be here." ROFL What an attitude!

@Yellowtail - Good for you. A lot of people think their individual actions don't make a difference, but they do. If only to let planet earth know that we still love her.
  • pezhmanpezhman Posts: 48 ✭✭
    the world reaction is as same as human. if care about that he will work friendly for us. but if we don't attend to his request he will leave us alone and will be angry.
    I think the attitude that I won't be here then is terrible @Lynne. Sadly this is the view most people seem to have especially in poorer countries. They seek personal gain now, at the cost of the future.
  • Serg_KimSerg_Kim Posts: 12 ✭✭
    I'd like to know - if anyone here really feels the climate change effect? I'm not telling it does not exist, but is the problem really as big as we are told to? At my place the climate is basically the same during my life, I've asked my parents - as far as they remember the climate was the same in the past... Has it become much warmer at the place you live?
    Definitely @Serg_Kim. It is usually not recognised as such a problem for urban dwellers but if you go to any mountain area or to the far north or south, it is very obvious.

For example, potatoes could never grow north of Namche Bazaar (3,400m) in the Himalayas because it was too cold. Nowadays, you can find potatoes growing in Dingboche at around 4,600m. There are many crops that can grow higher because the climate is warmer. Also in the Himalayas, photography has shown how over the years, the size of the glaciers has seriously reduced. There is danger from melting that some of the glacial lakes might burst as the climate is not as cold high up as it used to be.

Large chunks of Antarctica are melting like never before. There is a real worry that the sea level in some areas will rise due to this.

Just google the subject and you will find so many examples of the effect of climate change. The deniers (mainly just in America now) are generally trying to protect their businesses as they do not want to face the costs of trying to reduce climate change.

I wish climate change were just fake news but sadly it is a truth we have to face.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    The thunderstorms in my country caused death some people, including two young girls which were on scout's camp. Material damages total a few million Euro, a few thousand houses don't have a electric power, trains were delayed. We have among climatologists whether we can predict a similar situation.
    Nepal is suffering from some terrible floods right now too @nomad81. Here in the south of France it continues to be dry. The problem is that when it does rain here, the ground is baked so hard that the water usually just flows over it, causing serious floods too.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge It is sad to listen what happens in Nepal. By contrast, last rain in my city was before 21st July, a grass is such dry that it doesn't grow. We are in situation while our climate changes. It indicates that it will not be easy.
    Here too @nomad81, there hasn't been any real rain for months. There have been a couple of days when there were a few very light showers, but nothing to speak of. Inland, in the mountains they have had a little bit of rain, but it is very dry and forest fires are a real risk especially when people carelessly through their cigarette butts out of the window of their cars.