Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Food scandals

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,477 mod
Eggs

We have a saying in English - As sure as eggs is eggs (don't worry about the grammar here, it's a saying). It means you are certain about something. And one thing is certain, I love eggs. When I was a child I was a fussy eater, but I loved my eggs, it was the one thing my mum could cook me that I would happily eat, with no moaning, or grimacing.

To me eggs are the ultimate convenience / fast food, and I eat them at least once a week. So, imagine my shock when I read that in the Netherlands a toxic insecticide is believed to have contaminated hundreds of thousands of eggs. Eggs that tested positive for fipronil, had such elevated levels that their consumption would present a serious public health risk.

The contaminated eggs are being taken off supermarket shelves people who may have bought them are being advised "not to eat them and to throw them away." I have checked my current egg carton, and they are, as usual, free range and from Germany - well that's what it says on the carton.

You can read more about this latest food scandal here.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40824819
Tagged:

Comments

• HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,243 mod
    I remember the scandel of cucumas. They throw away tausend of them, but I didnˋt, I ate the ones I had at home.

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,307 mod
    I remember the scandal in England a few years ago where horse meat was being found in "beef burgers". It is worrying that we have no real idea of what's in our food.. though i do know that horse meat is eaten quite regularly in other countries.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,992 mod
    I had some the other day. It was delicious. It used to be quite cheap but now it can be a pricey @GemmaRowlands. It was in Carrefour supermarket, but they don't seem to always have it in stock.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,477 mod
    @Hermine - Did you mean cucumbers?
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,477 mod
    edited August 10
    Food scare - sprouts

Not Brussel sprouts. Can you remember the sprouting seeds scare?

I used to love eating them raw, but I only cook with them now.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/homehygiene/Pages/sprouted-seeds-advice.aspx
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,243 mod
    edited August 10
    With the wealth comes those results. Not only the producer has to be blamed, the consumer as well.

Recently I saw a documantary about a huge curise ship. Weˋre told what amout of food get tossed every single day. (Some) guests load their plates to the sim and eat just a part of the food and the same for included drinks.
    I think on the poor people in the world who could be feed; innocent kids, elders and maybe a bone for a ravenous dog or cat.

Guests use newly washed towls each day. Not many of them use it a second time.

The stuff has to give the last energy to satisfy the customers. for less money.

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,173 mod
    Contaminated eggs are found in Hong Kong too.
    Poor hens.
    They are often blamed for contaminations in our food; due to the avian flu and now fipronil contamination. What next? :s
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,307 mod
    mheredge said:

I had some the other day. It was delicious. It used to be quite cheap but now it can be a pricey @GemmaRowlands. It was in Carrefour supermarket, but they don't seem to always have it in stock.

Yes, I'm sure it was very nice indeed. The problem was that it wasn't what was on the label. We don't tend to eat horse here, though. It just isn't a meat that's sold.
    I totally agree @GemmaRowlands. You don't want to be eating food under false pretences.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 723 Teacher
    I grew up eating eggs from our and our grandparent´s chickens. You learn pretty quickly to break the egg into a plate or cup first before you add it to whatever you are making! Chickens are good at hiding their eggs!

There was also a scandal with contaminated frozen berries in 2015 - I think the problem was hepatitis A.

I just went to find an article about it, and discovered it´s happened again this year!

http://www.smh.com.au/business/consumer-affairs/same-chinese-farm-suspected-of-producing-frozen-berries-at-centre-of-2015-and-2017-recalls-20170607-gwmb2h.html
    Yes I always break my eggs into a cup or bowl before adding it to whatever I'm cooking @NatashaT. It's certainly paid off the couple of times when I have encountered a bad egg.

There was a wine scandal in New Zealand recently. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/06/new-zealand-thousands-of-bottles-of-allegedly-fraudulent-wine-exported

There should be more concern how Brexit is going to work with Ireland, as there is a worry that unless there are strict controls on food coming from an unregulated UK, all sorts of poor quality produce could find their way into the EU. But at the same time, no one wants to make a 'hard' border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, as this breaks the very hard-earned ceasefire of 1998. I wonder if the Brexiters will be willing to trade off Northern Ireland in their relentless fight to take Britain out of the EU.

• chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Nowadays food producers need to be very careful about their production process. The analytical methods have advanced a lots. That enable us to detect anything harm the human body.
    I think the case is not so serious. Obviously, fipronil weren't intentionally added into the eggs. It is a insecticide used in the farm. Maybe something went wrong during the production process. Anyway, the producers still need to be punished for their careless.
    In my place, there are unscrupulous food producers intentionally add toxic substances into the products just want to make more money. That is far worse than everything you all mentioned above.
    There's a bit of a concern for the future after Brexit if the UK starts importing cheap chicken from the USA that has been treated with chlorine. Not only is it inferior quality meat, but it wouldn't meet EU standards.