Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Bacteria

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,477 mod
You might have seen adverts on TV that offer to kill 99.9% of all bacteria, but you might also have heard of "friendly" bacteria. Not all bacterial is harmful, in fact it is essential for our well being.

This article is really interesting:-

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/06/gut-bacteria-on-the-brain/395918/
Tagged:

Comments

• saraalsaraal Posts: 64 ✭✭
    My love "Bacteria"

Lactobacillus bacteria that's are present in yogurt have a lots of benefit.
    Not only this bacteria. But it's amazing to know about the linke between mental disease and bacteria, and how they act in positive and negative way.

I wish if I could be a part of this study, it's very important with increasing in the number of children who have autism.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,000 mod
    I'm a big fan of cheese and without all sorts of bacteria, there would not be the wonderful variety of cheeses we can get.

Lactic acid bacteria play the main role in converting the milk sugar (lactose) into lactic acid. This is vital in lowering the acidity of cheese (pH) and makes the cheese inhospitable to many organisms that would spoil it. This is also the first step towards the cheese's deliciousness.

There are the lactic-acid producing bacteria and streptococci that helps the initial cheese ripening, and are also very important in yogurt-making. Some varieties of bacteria survive and contribute to the flavour in many cheeses like Emmental, Gruyere, and Italian hard cheeses like Pecorino Romano.

Molds love cheese (I grow a lot of this!). Leave any cheese in a fridge without protection and it will quickly be colonized by a fuzzy carpet of interestingly colored spores. Most of these are species of Penicillium and contribute to cheese's unique flavor. Only two species of blue mold, P. roqueforti and P. glaucum give the flavour and texture of blue cheeses. These can grow in low-oxygen environments, so they grow well in the small cracks in the interior of a ripening cheese.

White molds found on the outside of all soft-ripened cheeses produce enzymes that break down the milk proteins of the curds which leads to the ripe layer surrounding a firm interior.

Smear bacteria is responsible for the pong of cheeses like Münster and need salty, moist environments. The smell of these cheeses is often likened to smelly feet which is unsurprising as brevibacter can also be found on human skin and grows especially well without interference from personal hygiene.

• filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, we can say that health starts from gut.
    We should take care of our gut bacteria, which turn out being our mightiest army against any intrusion by harmful kind of germs.
    The bacteria population grows at an exponential rate, so, assuring that we keep a suitable diet, its army will soon consist of a myriad of soldiers.
    Nevertheless, we should avoid as much as possible the assumption of antibiotics.
    These cutthroat medical substances, in fact, together with possibly killing the strain of harmful bacteria, will slaughter the whole army of good bacteria.
    In order to resettle the garrison then, you'll have to mop up tons of probiotic yoghurts.
    By the way, the link between gut bacteria and brain, along with the prospective of a successful fight against neurological disorders such as autism are really amazing and fascinating.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    I've been drinking kombusa, a fermented tea drink. Here I have seen it as mushroom tea, which doesn’t sound appealing but it is an interesting concoction that is supposed to be good for the gut @filauzio.
    Ah-ah, yes @mheredge, mushroom tea really wouldn't sound that much appealing at first.
    As long as it results appealing to the gut's bacteria though, you'd better to comply to the intestinal army's order.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    I can understand why they call it this @filauzio as the skin, or scoby as I think it is called is alive and does look rather off putting. But the taste of the tea is very nice. My challenge is to try to find some of this 'mushroom' to make fermented tea at home. It's not difficult to find in the UK but so far I've not had any success in France. Do health food shops in Italy sell it?
    I confess @mheredge that all I can say about this SCOBY, which I understand is an acronym for symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast, is nothing more that what I've learnt from you right now.
    Probably the tea will result full of anti-oxidizing substances and healthy for your gut as well as for your organism's metabolism as a whole. If the taste is good, then, it will do for you even more.
    However, I've never heard of it before, so I can't help you: probably you can find it in Italy though, we have to check out.
    Meanwhile, be sure you don't get poisoned, should you ask for mushrooms and not instead for yeast ! Both are kind of plants, called fungi; however, the mushrooms are larger kind of, with fleshy stem, broad cap, and grow in the forest.
    The yeast is a powderlike form, therefore a much smaller kind of fungus: mould is a fungus as well, if I'm not going wrong.
    Mushrooms come either in edible or in poisonous varieties, so don't make fermented tea out of the latter, should the seller mistake the yeast for a kind of ground mushroom. :D
    Cheese can grow all sorts of interesting mould which I think is fairly harmless @filauzio but mushrooms, much as I love them, I don't know enough about to bravely go hunting for them in the forest. My view is that the more colourful, thd more likely they are poisonous but I'm sure it is not as simple as that.

Occasionally I have heard of Nepali people who have poisoned themselves eating mushrooms.
    Your point of view about mushrooms is very wise @mheredge. Actually, though quite empirical, your way of deciding whether they are poisonous or edible is right: the more showy, the more lethal. However the more difficult point arises when you have to pick up mushrooms which apparently seem good to eat, but aren't.
    The most cautious people, in Italy, after picking mushrooms in the forest, get them examined by experts who run this kind of services.
    Even with the delicious boletus edulisit is quite common to fall fatally deceived by a fake kind of it.
    Every autumn we have to confront ourselves with the mushrooms poisoned people toll, whatever the related warning.
    Nearly nowhere else as among the mushrooms' community, criminals can disguise and embody the gentlemen's features, both in appearance and fragrance.
    Their ability to counterfeit could have the most skilful digital hackers pale before them.
    I guess it might be a distant cousin, but the mould that grows on clothes that have been stored in damp conditions is one I really do not like @filauzio. Having left my clothes in a suitcase that was kept in the hotel's store room since last January, when I unpacked my nostrils were assailed with the most pungent odour of mushrooms. I slung all the t-shirts into a bucket of soapy water and these seem to have recovered, but the thick jackets, jumpers and winter trousers are hanging out to air in the hope that this will do the trick. If in a couple of days they still smell musty, I might have to find somewhere to dry-clean the pullovers.
    I can't but symphatize with you @mheredge. I can imagine what that musty odour should smell like; it seems to me it must be something like the odour old dusty books take when left too long on shelves, without being picked out, opened and read or even briefly skimmed through.
    In the case of old books, I used to put them in the open air on the balcony, making sure I promptly managed to get them inside when the weather turned damp.
    In the case of clothes I acknowledge that the matter should result really frustrating and irritating; I admit I also would find myself almost at my wits end, when having to face such kind of mould. I couldn't explain why, but, in order to eliminate the pungent odour, I think I would resort to some chemicals such as chlorine or maybe oxigenated water, just as a little supplement to the detergent, not to spoil both colour and texture of the cloth.
    Then, as you did, I suppose hanging out in the air the washing should certainly do the trick; especially if you're going to enjoy some windy dry days in a row.
    Then, if anything turns out a failure, you can always rely on laundry shops.
    I'm wondering how useful are those places where you have automatic washing machines which work by coins entered into proper slots.
    Ah-ah, whenever I think of these kinds of machines, I can't help thinking of the hilarious Mr. Bean's episode. :D