Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
No shadow
No stars
No moon
No cars
November only believes
In a pile of dead leaves
And a moon
That's the color of bone.

No prayers for November
To linger longer
To remember.

November has tied me
To an old dead tree
Get word to April
To rescue me.

November's cold chain
Made of wet boots and rain
And shiny black ravens
On chimney smoke lanes
November seems odd
An act of God
November.

Adapted from Tom Waits - November

November comes
And November goes,
With the last red berries
And the first white snows.

With night coming early,
And dawn coming late,
And ice in the bucket
And frost by the gate.

The fires burn
And the kettles sing,
And earth sinks to rest
Until next spring.

November by Elizabeth Coatsworth
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Do you use an e-book/kindle?

Thought you might enjoy this link if you use an e-book or kindle. Me, I'm old fashioned and like the feel of pages in my fingers!

Free/discounted books
Tagged:

Comments

• nomad81nomad81 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    @amatsuscribbler Thank you for this link, I am a user Kindle reader and I will benefit by it.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,767 mod
    Thanks very much. I do still like to read paper books, but I have a Kindle too, so I can do both. I like to have a selection to choose from, so I always have something that I can read.
  • JeyasriJeyasri Posts: 74 ✭✭
    @amatsuscribbler yes reading is always enjoyable one , but reading on Hard copy is good like newspaper and books it doesn't affect our eyes but e-book and kindle app which we cannot use much time.it will affect eyes.
    I also much prefer reading a Kindle on the beach, as it means that I don't have to worry about the pages blowing everywhere like I would have done with a normal book.
  • yui_2000yui_2000 Posts: 37 ✭✭
    I definitely choose e-books. They're cheaper and more convenient for me.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,171 mod
    I have loaded up my Kindle with free e-books. Every day, Bookbub announces a few free e-books (and many very cheap ones). I have decided that this time (famous last words), I will not load myself with heavy books when I go travelling in the next two months.

https://www.bookbub.com/ebook-deals/free-ebooks?date=20141030
    edited August 21
    I read English books on my Kindle because I have built-in English dictionary and it is a comfortable to me. I don't have to check a interesting word in separate dictionary only I click on a chosen word and I have a definition of it. Besides Kindle have a helpful function in the shape of Voculary Builder, you can see words which you looked for. You also can use it as cards to learning English language.
    This sounds like a very useful way to help improve your English @nomad81. I never even knew there was this functionality.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,695 mod
    Iˋm a great fan of reading ˋconcrete nounˋ books. There is nothing nicer than to have a real book in hand. As for me it is more adorable.

But, I can unterstand you, when you say that for travel purposes it is easer and lighter to carry the content of a book in form of a tablet.

I still prefer paper books @Hermine. But like you say, it's much more practical to take a Kindle loaded up with lots of books if I want to travel light.
    I like paper books too, but I use a Kindle in practical terms. I don't simply have a area for new books and my a local library have few stock of English books. Besides I am also learning a programming and it is comfortably using books due to Kindle. A paper books, I read within a period Christmas and New Year. When people ask me what I want to get a gift, I say: "a book".
    Books are the best gift of all in my book too @nomad81.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/in-my-book
    edited August 23
    @mheredge For my money, too :)
    A link I will add to my browser's bookmarks
    yui_2000 said:

I definitely choose e-books. They're cheaper and more convenient for me.

This is very true. But even despite this, I still like the feeling of being able to hold a book in my hand, so I do still find myself buying some books for this reason.
    @nomad81 I'm finding there's a free book I can download to my Kindle at least every few days. There are more Kindle Unlimited but this gives you a limited period to read the book for free and I know that I can never be guaranteed to be able to do this.
  • Serg_KimSerg_Kim Posts: 12 ✭✭
    I prefered classical books in the past, and I still like to read classical paper book if it is an option. But, I really read much more from my smartphone now. It is handy and I can easyly find a book I need (I use the Bookmate app)
    @Serg_Kim I have tried to read a book on smartphones but it letters on screen were too small.
  • Serg_KimSerg_Kim Posts: 12 ✭✭
    @nomad81 I have a big smartphone 5.5 inches, and when you use a bookreader app you can increase the font size. I also use night mode when reading in places not lighted very bright light... For the first time it was a little uncomfortable, but I get used now :)
  • thuyvothuyvo Posts: 50 ✭✭
    I do like reading paper book at home, and in my bag always contains a book for me to read once I have free time outside, such as when going to school or waiting my friend. However, I also got a Kindle , and a smartphone for reading ebook. I love Kindle because it has strong power, no need charge many times as smartphone but if have to choose, I will choose paper book, it make me happy each reading a new page.
    edited August 24
    @Serg_Kim I have tried on a model with 4.5 inches so that I have bought a Kindle. It's comfortable but at evening or night to read I need an additional lighting. I think about buying a new model of Kindle which has a backlit screen. I like a traditional books too, but Kindle is more useful to me.
    nomad81 said:

@Serg_Kim I have tried to read a book on smartphones but it letters on screen were too small.

I don't like reading on such a small screen, I find that it gives me a headache. My Kindle is perfect for me, as it is the exact size of a book.
  • rdrzazgowskirdrzazgowski Posts: 12 ✭✭
    I can't imagine my life without kindle :)
    Every day I spend 2 hours in full people trains, when I can use only one hand to change the page in the book and classical books is not comfortable for me.
    @rdrzazgowski An using a Kindle in crowded train is more comfortable. I rarely have a chance to sit during my way to work and return, so one hand I hold on a handle and in second I have my Kindle.
    I'm turning everything upside down as I can't find my Kindle. I had it a week or so ago because I was checking some of the recent books I'd ordered.

Last night I ordered a free book from Amazon and as soon as I had clicked to 'buy' (it was £0.00), the second book in the series popped up, a Kindle Unlimited book that cost a few pounds. It happened so fast and before I knew what had happened I had bought this one too. As the message confirming the purchase didn't show up till this morning, I wasn't even sure that I had accidentally clicked on the 'buy' button. However this morning I was able to cancel it and I received a message to say that the money will be refunded in the next few days. It is quite risky having Amazon set up to buy books so easily!
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed a Kindle is a handy thing when you travel, but I like it more to read a paper book, the smeel of the paper and the feeling you can hold it make that you can more dreaming away in the story you are reading.
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
    I always read a book while I eat, and it's a paper book. I have to hold it by a hand, and then put it face down on the table while I put food into my mouth. This repetition is tedious, especially when the book is as thick as some 600 pages or so. So maybe I should change it into kindle. But I love paper books. And also many books don't seem to offer the kindle version at this moment.
  • rdrzazgowskirdrzazgowski Posts: 12 ✭✭
    I agree with @Paulette. Scent of old book, that is what is missing when you use kindle.
  • NinnaNinna Posts: 64 ✭✭
    No, but I'll start to read some children's books here:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/free-books-audio
    Paulette said:

Indeed a Kindle is a handy thing when you travel, but I like it more to read a paper book, the smeel of the paper and the feeling you can hold it make that you can more dreaming away in the story you are reading.

It's good when you're going on a long holiday though, as you only need to take one device, rather than having to pack lots of books which would take up room in your case.
  • AndrewSotnikovAndrewSotnikov Posts: 55 ✭✭
    I have a e-book for last 4 years. Thanks God, my reading got an another side.
    1. I can download and read anything what I want.
    2. There is no question "what should I do with that book after reading?"
    3. I can set font size what I really want. In some printed books, font is so small, eyes feels very tired after reading for a half of hour long.
    4. I need not hear librarian opinion about book what I want to take.

P.S. All items of this list relates to fiction. Technician literature I read in printed version.