Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

AirBnB and now AirBnB for food

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 26,992 mod
Have you ever stayed in AirBnB accommodation? Some people love it, others have had not so good experiences. I have only used it once and it was good, but I was lucky as many people have had to wait hours to get into their accommodation or found things not what they expected.

Now there is an eating version of AirBnB where you can go and eat your dinner or lunch with a host or hostess. It is already big in Paris and France, though VizEat is still just starting in the UK. Download the app to see advertisements from strangers who offer to cook you dinner in their home.

Have you ever used AirBnB or Couchsurfing? What were your experiences?

What do you think of eating at a stranger's home to eat? Would you do it?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2017/jul/30/come-dine-with-vizeat-testing-the-airbnb-for-food?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=237305&subid=11006640&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,307 mod
    I have never stayed in one myself, and don't know too much about it, however I have friends who travel and they stay in them all the time. They say they wouldn't want to stay anywhere else now they're used to it, and that's interesting to know.
  • RitaLeeRitaLee Posts: 59 ✭✭
    I knew AirBnB but I 've never use it , i visited on its website several times, compared it with other websites I realized that it's less convenient than others, the costs are unreasonable, cheap accommodations with high prices. I always book hotels on Agoda or Booking.com,I think they are best . You get what you pay for.
    But, eating at the stranger's home sounds great, there was a version like that in HongKong for couple of years ago. I love it I thought many people who can cook better than many chefs
    RitaLee said:

I knew AirBnB but I 've never use it , i visited on its website several times, compared it with other websites I realized that it's less convenient than others, the costs are unreasonable, cheap accommodations with high prices. I always book hotels on Agoda or Booking.com,I think they are best . You get what you pay for.

But, eating at the stranger's home sounds great, there was a version like that in HongKong for couple of years ago. I love it I thought many people who can cook better than many chefs

I have had some trouble with Booking.com in the past, and ended up severely out of pocket because of it.. so I am reluctant to use them again. It is a shame really, as I assume that they are absolutely fine most of the time!
    @mheredge Sometimes they had some mistakes, I guess so... how about Agoda or Trivago or Tripadvisor ... ?
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,992 mod
    I've had a couple of serious problems with Booking.com too @GemmaRowlands. At short notice, twice they have cancelled my booking because according to them, my debitcard was not valid (though it worked for everyone else). The last time they did this, I was actually on my way to the hostel and only found out after I had arrived when they told me the place was full. I managed to persuade them to find a camp bed as it was way too late to start trying to find alternative accommodation at 10pm in the centre of Milan!

AirBnB I have only used twice @RitaLee and it was cheaper than a hotel. I wanted to stay somewhere cheaply in Genoa and found a student share flat where I could stay. It was perfect for my needs, though might not have suited a tourist wanting a place for one or two nights. There were completely honest about the accommodation however so I knew what to expect. The other time I used AirBnB was in Dhaka in Bangladesh and it was excellent. I had virtually a whole appartment for 10$ a night in a very nice area of the city and the hostess was fantastic, helping me arrange my travel arrangements. I went back again at the end of my trip. We are now Facebook friends and are still in touch.

This week I am going to be a Couchsurfing hostess for the first time, with a French woman coming for one night. I have not yet stayed anywhere but have heard good reports. This is more like a travel 'cooperative' where guests can stay one or a few nights at no charge as it is a reciprocal type arrangement. Travellers helping travellers if you like.
    Wow it's a good new @mheredge . I must learn from you experience. Are you travelling by yourself ? How about the group with 4 or 5 people? is it convenient to share a flat/room or couch ? Next month I'm going to Japan, I will be waiting for your feeling in Couchsurfing
    @GemmaRowlands Sometimes they had some mistakes, I guess so... how about Agoda or Trivago or Tripadvisor ... ?
    I think there's all sorts of accommodation available so if you're in a group, I'm sure you can find something @RitaLee. When I visited Japan I found the hostels excellent and not too expensive. I usually travel solo and find it easier but sometimes more expensive when you have to pay for the room and not the bed!
    mheredge said:

I've had a couple of serious problems with Booking.com too @GemmaRowlands. At short notice, twice they have cancelled my booking because according to them, my debitcard was not valid (though it worked for everyone else). The last time they did this, I was actually on my way to the hostel and only found out after I had arrived when they told me the place was full. I managed to persuade them to find a camp bed as it was way too late to start trying to find alternative accommodation at 10pm in the centre of Milan!

This sounds similar to my problem with them. We had paid, and turned up, to be told there was no log of our booking and they were full. We wrote an email of complaint and a few days later got one back from the hotel owner saying he had phoned us (he hadn't) to tell us he had booked us into his other hotel (nowhere near the first one, mind you) and we must have deleted his voicemail. He did NOT leave us a voicemail, as our phone doesn't even give this as an option!!!! He should have sent the details to us in writing - and shouldn't have the right to book us into another hotel without asking us anyway.
    @GemmaRowlands I sent an email to complain and never got an answer! I was lucky that the first time this happened in Istanbul I saw my email while waiting in transit at Abu Dhabi and was able to convince the hotel I was definitely coming and to please not cancel my reservation. They were very nice and trusted that I was really coming even though they did not have my card to secure the booking.