Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

AirBnB and now AirBnB for food

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 28,081 mod
Have you ever stayed in AirBnB accommodation? Some people love it, others have had not so good experiences. I have only used it once and it was good, but I was lucky as many people have had to wait hours to get into their accommodation or found things not what they expected.

Now there is an eating version of AirBnB where you can go and eat your dinner or lunch with a host or hostess. It is already big in Paris and France, though VizEat is still just starting in the UK. Download the app to see advertisements from strangers who offer to cook you dinner in their home.

Have you ever used AirBnB or Couchsurfing? What were your experiences?

What do you think of eating at a stranger's home to eat? Would you do it?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2017/jul/30/come-dine-with-vizeat-testing-the-airbnb-for-food?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=237305&subid=11006640&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,727 mod
    I have never stayed in one myself, and don't know too much about it, however I have friends who travel and they stay in them all the time. They say they wouldn't want to stay anywhere else now they're used to it, and that's interesting to know.
  • RitaLeeRitaLee Posts: 59 ✭✭
    I knew AirBnB but I 've never use it , i visited on its website several times, compared it with other websites I realized that it's less convenient than others, the costs are unreasonable, cheap accommodations with high prices. I always book hotels on Agoda or Booking.com,I think they are best . You get what you pay for.
    But, eating at the stranger's home sounds great, there was a version like that in HongKong for couple of years ago. I love it I thought many people who can cook better than many chefs
    RitaLee said:

I knew AirBnB but I 've never use it , i visited on its website several times, compared it with other websites I realized that it's less convenient than others, the costs are unreasonable, cheap accommodations with high prices. I always book hotels on Agoda or Booking.com,I think they are best . You get what you pay for.

But, eating at the stranger's home sounds great, there was a version like that in HongKong for couple of years ago. I love it I thought many people who can cook better than many chefs

I have had some trouble with Booking.com in the past, and ended up severely out of pocket because of it.. so I am reluctant to use them again. It is a shame really, as I assume that they are absolutely fine most of the time!
    @mheredge Sometimes they had some mistakes, I guess so... how about Agoda or Trivago or Tripadvisor ... ?
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    I've had a couple of serious problems with Booking.com too @GemmaRowlands. At short notice, twice they have cancelled my booking because according to them, my debitcard was not valid (though it worked for everyone else). The last time they did this, I was actually on my way to the hostel and only found out after I had arrived when they told me the place was full. I managed to persuade them to find a camp bed as it was way too late to start trying to find alternative accommodation at 10pm in the centre of Milan!

AirBnB I have only used twice @RitaLee and it was cheaper than a hotel. I wanted to stay somewhere cheaply in Genoa and found a student share flat where I could stay. It was perfect for my needs, though might not have suited a tourist wanting a place for one or two nights. There were completely honest about the accommodation however so I knew what to expect. The other time I used AirBnB was in Dhaka in Bangladesh and it was excellent. I had virtually a whole appartment for 10$ a night in a very nice area of the city and the hostess was fantastic, helping me arrange my travel arrangements. I went back again at the end of my trip. We are now Facebook friends and are still in touch.

This week I am going to be a Couchsurfing hostess for the first time, with a French woman coming for one night. I have not yet stayed anywhere but have heard good reports. This is more like a travel 'cooperative' where guests can stay one or a few nights at no charge as it is a reciprocal type arrangement. Travellers helping travellers if you like.
    Wow it's a good new @mheredge . I must learn from you experience. Are you travelling by yourself ? How about the group with 4 or 5 people? is it convenient to share a flat/room or couch ? Next month I'm going to Japan, I will be waiting for your feeling in Couchsurfing
    @GemmaRowlands Sometimes they had some mistakes, I guess so... how about Agoda or Trivago or Tripadvisor ... ?
    I think there's all sorts of accommodation available so if you're in a group, I'm sure you can find something @RitaLee. When I visited Japan I found the hostels excellent and not too expensive. I usually travel solo and find it easier but sometimes more expensive when you have to pay for the room and not the bed!
    mheredge said:

I've had a couple of serious problems with Booking.com too @GemmaRowlands. At short notice, twice they have cancelled my booking because according to them, my debitcard was not valid (though it worked for everyone else). The last time they did this, I was actually on my way to the hostel and only found out after I had arrived when they told me the place was full. I managed to persuade them to find a camp bed as it was way too late to start trying to find alternative accommodation at 10pm in the centre of Milan!

This sounds similar to my problem with them. We had paid, and turned up, to be told there was no log of our booking and they were full. We wrote an email of complaint and a few days later got one back from the hotel owner saying he had phoned us (he hadn't) to tell us he had booked us into his other hotel (nowhere near the first one, mind you) and we must have deleted his voicemail. He did NOT leave us a voicemail, as our phone doesn't even give this as an option!!!! He should have sent the details to us in writing - and shouldn't have the right to book us into another hotel without asking us anyway.
    @GemmaRowlands I sent an email to complain and never got an answer! I was lucky that the first time this happened in Istanbul I saw my email while waiting in transit at Abu Dhabi and was able to convince the hotel I was definitely coming and to please not cancel my reservation. They were very nice and trusted that I was really coming even though they did not have my card to secure the booking.
  • lisalisa Posts: 405 ✭✭
    I have never used AirBnB, which is not famous in China and Africa, I think. Ususally we book our airticket by the travelling company or online, and Sherton is our favorite when the supervisors come from China. We usually pay the costs by cheques or cash
  • swathiswathi Posts: 35 ✭✭
    AirBnB and now AirBnB for food . Really i don't know what is that . i searched in google but i can't understand what is that AirBnB.
    @swathi AirBnB is an organisation that enables people to advertise and rent a room or apartment out via the internet. It might be a room inside someone's house or a whole apartment or even a house. AirBnB get a commission when anyone books online via their website. It has become big business all over the world.
  • CamiloCFCamiloCF Posts: 22 ✭✭
    VizEat? Never heard about, but it sounds interesting, I'll give a look. Thanks for the hint!
    I want to try it @CamiloCF as there seem to be quite a few interesting places to eat in Nice.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge
    I got curious about AirBnB, so I googled it. I found out that it’s basically what we call 民泊:minpaku in Japan. I thought it would be great to use it on my business trips to Osaka or Kyoto since it should be inexpensive from what I’ve learned on the net, and I might get a chance to become friends with guests from foreign countries. I found an online booking site for AirBnBs, but I also found out they cost so much in Kyoto, like over 20,000yen a night.

Do you know a good and more inexpensive place to stay in Kyoto or Osaka?
    I don't know about Osaka as I stayed with a friend but everywhere I went I stayed at hostels which were excellent value, very clean and quiet, and cheap @takafromtokyo.
    @mheredge
    Okay, I think hostels could be another option. I’m really considering of staying at a hotel where many foreign people try to stay. I’m hoping to make friends there. I can look at it this way: it’s a lot cheaper and safer way to make friends with foreign people than traveling abroad myself.
    ヾ(๑╹◡╹)ノ"
    Hostels are a very good way to meet foreigners @takafromtokyo, maybe better than hotels where people can keep themselves to themselves much more.
  • madhugmadhug Posts: 682 ✭✭✭
    edited November 8
    Airbnb is great idea, you can get accommodation in cheap price with comfortable rooms. I haven't tried this before, if I go outside of the city I definitely utilize this facility.

Have you ever been to Airbnb rooms @mheredge
    It has its pros and cons @madhug. I have only used it once and it was okay but some of my friends who have used it a few times only have complaints. In particular, access and landlords who keep them waiting for keys.
    I like the Airbnb concept but security wise little difficult. There are no safety precautions for women. @mheredge
    I don't think I have heard about any problems @madhug, because usually AirBnB hosts are keen to get good reviews so that they get more customers. I know that when I was looking for my room with them, I was going as much by the guest feedback as the location and price.
  • swathiswathi Posts: 35 ✭✭
    AirBnB is very good Organization. I liked their thoughts. why because they will provide good accommodation and good services also. I saw reviews all customers give good reviews. next time I will try it.
    > @mheredge said:
    > I don't think I have heard about any problems @madhug, because usually AirBnB hosts are keen to get good reviews so that they get more customers. I know that when I was looking for my room with them, I was going as much by the guest feedback as the location and price.

How the security and host behavior in Airbnb? Have you faced any problems with them? @mheredge
    Before going Airbnb rooms check security issues. @swati
    I searched for AirBnBs in Osaka for the business trip the other day, then I found out that most of them described themselves as “dormitories”. Since I’ve never heard of a “dormitory” before, I looked up the word in a dictionary. As far as I understand, you’re going to share a room with several other guests to sleep for the night. They had the photos of the rooms, and from the looks of their rooms, I wonder if they had a secure locker to put in your belongings. To me, that’s the biggest concern at this point. I love their concept, to be sure.
    I have never come across dormitories in AirBnB @takafromtokyo though hostelling like I do, I am used to sleeping in dormitories with up to eight or even twelve other people (I prefer smaller dorms if possible). They always have lockers where you can put your valuables and I have never heard of any problem with security.

@madhug I have never had any problem but I have never tried AirBnB in India so I don't know if it is less secure here. I did stay in one place with AirBnB in Dhakar in Bangladesh and it was excellent.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,367 mod
    edited November 13
    Should we still call it BnB, @mheredge ?
    It has nothing to do with bed and breakfast anymore, I think.
    Post edited by april on
    Airbnb stands for Air-bed and breakfast. I've never experienced in Airbnb rooms. @april @mheredge @takafromtokyo

You can find the whole background story on the Airbnb website (the "about" section), but I think the best explanation comes from an interview with Brian Chesky at greylockvc.com. In the interview, Chesky explains:

Joe [Gebbia - co-founder] and I had just moved to San Francisco and become roommates in 2007. Neither of us had a job and we needed money for rent. We were both designers and we knew the International Design Conference was coming to San Francisco in October, yet all the hotels were sold out. We thought we could make some money if we rented out our place and turned it into a bed and breakfast. We got three airbeds and created a Web site called “Air Bed and Breakfast.” People signed up to rent the airbeds and we cooked them breakfast every morning and acted like tour guides. We didn’t mean to start a business. It just sort of happened. There was no flash of genius. In the beginning, we didn’t realize that this would be the big idea. It was the thing that would pay the rent until we thought of the big idea. Gradually it became obvious that this was the big idea. Eventually we expanded beyond our apartment and our three airbeds and shortened the company name to Airbnb.