Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What is the meaning of life?

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 26,992 mod
"What is the meaning of life?" This relates to the significance of living or existence in general. Other questions include "Why are we here?", "What is life all about?", or "What is the purpose of existence?"

The answer to the question depends on many different cultural and ideological backgrounds. The search for life's meaning has produced a lot of speculation, philosophical, scientific, theological, and metaphysical throughout history. Different people and cultures believe different things for the answer to this question.

What does it mean to you?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,992 mod
    The Book of Life goes into more detail suggesting that meaning is to be found in three activities in particular: Communication, Understanding and Service. http://www.thebookoflife.org/the-meaning-of-life/#top (reading for TAD session Thursday 27 July).
    edited July 27
    These short two videos are interesting

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7IcJI8PUf5Z3zKxnZvTBog

and

And of course there are TED talks:

A life of purpose TED TALK https://www.ted.com/talks/rick_warren_on_a_life_of_purpose/transcript

What makes life meaningful

Measuring what makes life worthwhile https://www.ted.com/talks/chip_conley_measuring_what_makes_life_worthwhile/transcript

• sara17sara17 Posts: 16 ✭✭
    for me ,
    Allah (God) creats us to worship him and follow what he said. Life is the most important exam we do , every things we do is going to be counted so if you obey god command and do good things you will recieve a mark or marks and if you do sins and bad things you will loss from your marks. Acording to your score you will be in a heaven or hell.
    we are not immortal in this live but i believe in existance of last life (hevean or hell ).
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    edited July 28
    I think we look for meaning of life for all time. I treat my life as journey, I know somewhere is a end it. I believe in afterlife and God, so on my way I try to do a good things, be good father and husband. Sometimes it doesn't succeed in, I had made a some mistakes but I get a chance repair it. I think, the more I live, I change my thinking about what is important in my life, I have more and more knowledge but I wonder whether I will become a wise man.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,307 mod
    I don't know whether there is a bigger meaning of life, but my own personal meaning is to take care of your loved one and just have an amazing time with every second you have of your life.
    I'm inclined to go along with Einstein's deist point of view @sara17 in that even though God may have created the planet and all us animals and humans on it, sadly we let Him down in our actions and behaviour.

I'm not very orthodox as I also believe an afterlife too @nomad81 and see this life as one of many journeys, hopefully each time striving to be better and wiser as we go along.

I think not just loved ones @GemmaRowlands, but we should strive to take care of each other, whoever they may be. For me that is the meaning of life. (I think you mentioned community @Diakha and I think this is very important.)
  • sara17sara17 Posts: 16 ✭✭
    @mheredge
    yes you are right we lit him down a lot but even though, we must not frustrated and we should try our best to change our self to be better person than what we were.
    life it is not easy. it contain a lot of hidden things regardless good or bad one
    but whatever our situation we need to try our best to be a good,kind,helpful,honor,positive and wise...etc person as much as we can.
    actually this topic is not easy , it is deep subject and our view will be different according to our situations .
    at the end what we do is our choice,so do what makes you happy as it is not hurts others and remember every person is going to leave this life some day,so at least leave some happy moments or good things behind you people will remember.

sorry if is somthing unclear,i am still improving my english.
  • YuliaYulia Posts: 50 ✭✭
    For parents, meaning of life is caring about their children. Also when you have a job you feel useful too. I think so because I have nor job or children and I feel that I absolutely useless person.
  • cleberamaralcleberamaral Posts: 18 ✭✭
    @mheredge, its a great topic and as you said there are different point of view about this.

Here is mine, I totally agree with @sara17, I don't think we are are an occasionally result like evolution theory says.

I think we are God's creation, and He create us to worship him.

And who am Im....

"I am a flower quickly fading
    Here today and gone tomorrow
    A wave tossed in the ocean
    A vapor in the wind"

This is a piece of the song "Who am I" of Casting Crowns band... it's an amazing music in my opinion.

Sorry for my english mistakes...
    Whether or not we believe in Darwin's theories of evolution or that God created us, the question is the same: where did everything come from? Even if we believe we took a few million years to get to where we are now, it's more a question of timing than anything else.

I think the meaning of life is fundamentally attached to how we relate to each other. I think the more we can help each other, the more meaningful life becomes.
  • aminemaritime1aminemaritime1 Posts: 6
    as i was reading all the valuables comments with different points of view about life each one has well said discribing the meaning of life according to the culture that we got during our daily life and also according to the religion of each one of us
    obviousely the life it's only a short passage as the death exist and real all of us we will die someday at the end and nobody knows what is gonna happen after death
    to me the life is to be a man of value to be helpful for other people and be sipirtual not being too much attached to the material making good for people regardless of your cultural and ideological background and knowing each other in peace
    Unfortunately many people now are so preoccupied by material things and money that I think they are missing out @aminemaritime1 on the real meaning of life. Like you say, it is also about helping others and not being so attached to things.
    In my opinion modern world focuses on material things, we are surrounding a ads, articles about new-tech gadgets which we have to must. However, it is important what we leave behind ourselves.
  • ElshaimaaElshaimaa Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
    I THINK WE'R here because we live a life with good , bad make mistakes do what you want to do or what you make you happy but dont do illegal things unlawful .....
    mheredge said:

I'm inclined to go along with Einstein's deist point of view @sara17 in that even though God may have created the planet and all us animals and humans on it, sadly we let Him down in our actions and behaviour.

I'm not very orthodox as I also believe an afterlife too @nomad81 and see this life as one of many journeys, hopefully each time striving to be better and wiser as we go along.

I think not just loved ones @GemmaRowlands, but we should strive to take care of each other, whoever they may be. For me that is the meaning of life. (I think you mentioned community @Diakha and I think this is very important.)

Yes, we should take care of everyone we can. I always try to help people if I am able to, though lots of people won't accept help as they like to do things all on their own if possible.
    @GemmaRowlands I don't want to impose my way of thinking. I see how changing my image relating to meaning of life. Once a new-tech gadget was in my centre of attention but now a good working laptop is enough for me. I like to listen to my family and friend what they want to say to me than next discussion about a new mobile phone. I enjoy writing on this forum, reading posts because it gives me knowledge about another cultures and countries.
  • bogdan10bogdan10 Posts: 10 ✭✭
    To make the people around you, people you love and respect, happy with your actions. To help others in need. To be remembered by others, after your death, as a good guy and most importantly, kind. This is to me the meaning of life.
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 737 OTT
    @bogdan10

I agree with you respect and create an ambience around

http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/08/creative-subjects-declines.html
    nomad81 said:

@GemmaRowlands I don't want to impose my way of thinking. I see how changing my image relating to meaning of life. Once a new-tech gadget was in my centre of attention but now a good working laptop is enough for me. I like to listen to my family and friend what they want to say to me than next discussion about a new mobile phone. I enjoy writing on this forum, reading posts because it gives me knowledge about another cultures and countries.

I do think a lot of people too much time looking at a screen instead of at each other, and family relationships are going to suffer in the future as a result of it. When I am out with my friends, I always make sure that I don't go near my phone.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the question of meaning of life not an important question what it means to be a human being? In our nature, we seem to ask questions: 'Where do we come from? How did we get here? What is my purpose on earth? Where do I go when I die? What is the meaning of all this? "
    Looking at the last 150 years of our history, it is sad that humanity had the need to live according to a materialistic norm and great intelligence instead of living according to laws of love. Imagine the question yourself what is the most important for you, the materialistic things, the intelligence developments , or is the law of love the most important thing in your life.
  • PetrBlinnikovPetrBlinnikov Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Life doesn't have ultimate meaning. Life is an endless process: birth, aging, death and starting again. We just temporarily participate in this process. But we can create our own meaning that is important for us personally.

Life doesn't have ultimate meaning. Life is an endless process: birth, aging, death and starting again. We just temporarily participate in this process. But we can create our own meaning that is important for us personally.

That's a really nice way of thinking about things, I like that a lot. I think that you're right, and it is up to us to work out what our meaning is in life.
    I think without creating that personal meaning @PetrBlinnikov life must be very mundane and dull.
  • mounamouna Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    If I refer to my relegion life is an exam to us we have to suffer sometimes to have some pain,to be poor or sick but itsn't the end because we'll have another life and we'll live happy if we were patient and very kind with people.I have to improve my self,to help the other and to don't be selfless.
    I hate exams @mouna, so I would never liken my life to an exam!
  • manjuammanjuam Posts: 20 ✭✭
    For me life is all about experience there could be good or bad that depends how we perceive and it's all about living a life present no worries about past and future
    I like the idea of life as a journey. I love to be always learning something new on my journey too.
    @mheredge I also treat my life as a journey which I met both good things and bad. I think that is similarly with a learning, at beginning is exciting, but further it can be a boring or difficult. If you want to achieve your aim, it will be a wonderful adventure.