Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Hermineˋs seventh essay

HermineHermine ModeratorPosts: 6,655 mod
edited July 23 in Your Writing
Pilgrims from South-Korea

Yesterday we were on a pilgrimˋs path when I saw a group of people stopping at a big cross at the beginning of the path. A man stand in front of them and prayed ˋOur Father in heaven...ˋ and the people prayed along.
I was so surprised by their association.

Then, they were walking along as a heavy rain surprised them, but they went on. At each station (IIX in fact) they had stopped, the man started to pray and the people nodded after praying in respect of Jesus.

At the end of the path, there was a sheltered altar outside the church. The group of 25 to 30 people gathered around, three women put their umbrellas and bags on the altar. As a pilger saw this he made a gesture, that they should take them off and they did it at once.

I had been deeply moved at their behavour. Theyˋre so far away from their homes and payed so much respect.

I saw lots of people, passing by the cross and all the stations, without stopping or even make a sighn of the cross.
-------

@Marianne, I was impressed by the womenˋs skin. What on earth do they do? If someone of you is also from South-Korea please let me know, it is incredibly. I can say that all the ladies had a yellow, silky and glowing skin.
Post edited by Hermine on

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,063 mod
    Hermine said:

Pilgrims from South-Korea

Yesterday we were on a pilgrim's path when I saw a group of people stopping at a big cross at the beginning of the path. [route, way, road, trail - don't repeat path twice in the same sentence.] A man stood in front of them and prayed ˋOur Father in heaven...' and the people prayed along.
    I was so surprised by their association. [?]

Then, they were walking along when heavy rain surprised them, but they went on. At each station (IIX in fact) they had stopped, the man started to pray and the people nodded after praying in to Jesus.

At the end of the path there was a sheltered altar outside the church. The group of 25 to 30 people gathered round, three women put their umbrellas and bags on the altar. As a pilgrim saw this he made a gesture that they should take them off and they did so at once.

I was deeply moved at their behaviour. They're so far away from their homes and payed so much respect.

I saw lots of people, passing by the cross and all the stations, without stopping or even make a sign of the cross.
    -------

@Marianne, I was impressed by the womenˋs skin. What on earth do they do? If someone of you is also from South-Korea please let me know, it is incredibly. I can say that all the ladies had a yellow, silky and glowing skin.

I don't know @Hermine. I find the skin of girls in Asia is always very nice, not just Korea. Maybe you should ask @Shiny03 as although she's in Japan, all the Japanese women I met had beautiful skin too.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,655 mod
    edited July 24
    Iˋve had a short research on the Internet and it told me, that Korean women do avoid the sun, they use newspapers, caps, umbrellas and so on to prodect the skin.

I wonder what @Shiny will tell to us.

After a while I asked the man of the group, who lead it. I asked him if he spoke English. He said that he spoke German, because heˋd studied a few years in Munich.

Seemingly it isnˋt easy to get English speaking people for a small talk.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,063 mod
    Younger people study English @Hermine, but I think most middle aged Koreans don't or are extremely shy to speak English.

I am very bad at wearing a sunhat and you have reminded me that maybe I should!
    @Marianne, sorry, I forgot to mention that English ladies are famous for their beautiful skin as well.

Association = two or more people are assembled.

I take it, I used the wrong word. Am I right?