Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How do you show your creativity?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,727 mod
I have just left a comment talking about creativity, and it left me wondering how you show yours?

I am a professional writer and I also like to play musical instruments - so that is how I let my creative side out.

What about you? Are you a musician? An artist? A chef?

I am looking forward to hearing from you all!

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,063 mod
    There's a very cool group that encourage folk to be creative painting. I went last night and was told to paint any vegetable I wanted. I'm not sure a tomato counts as a vegetable really but I had a lovely couple of hours producing a still life of a tomato that I'm going to now hang up in my kitchen! I'll definitely go again. They hold these sessions every week in different locations around the town, providing everything you need to paint a painting to take home with you.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,727 mod
    mheredge said:

There's a very cool group that encourage folk to be creative painting. I went last night and was told to paint any vegetable I wanted. I'm not sure a tomato counts as a vegetable really but I had a lovely couple of hours producing a still life of a tomato that I'm going to now hang up in my kitchen! I'll definitely go again. They hold these sessions every week in different locations around the town, providing everything you need to paint a painting to take home with you.

That sounds good. I am not a talented painter myself, but I would very much like to be involved in a group that would encourage what little talent I have!
  • zaiymurszaiymurs Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    I'm working in the design and printing industry, i showed it by expressing it through the artwork, print media and i'm glad most of my clients love it.

Speak either of painting or hand drawing, not sure whether i still able to do so, i left this activity for many years.
    zaiymurs said:

I'm working in the design and printing industry, i showed it by expressing it through the artwork, print media and i'm glad most of my clients love it.

Speak either of painting or hand drawing, not sure whether i still able to do so, i left this activity for many years.

I am jealous of people who are able to draw, so if you have that skill I think you should practice it regularly to make sure you can still keep it. I wish that I could do really good drawings, but sadly I can't.
    Maybe you could try on abstract painting, it is not as hard as still life drawing, i think everyone are gifted with difference creativity which make us as the human so diversed in specialties. Actually i'm lazy @GemmaRowlands , i have lost interest in drawing since i become older and being an adult, though i still hope i'm keen on it.

What kind of writing you did Gemma ? what is your most favourite ?
    zaiymurs said:

Maybe you could try on abstract painting, it is not as hard as still life drawing, i think everyone are gifted with difference creativity which make us as the human so diversed in specialties. Actually i'm lazy @GemmaRowlands , i have lost interest in drawing since i become older and being an adult, though i still hope i'm keen on it.

What kind of writing you did Gemma ? what is your most favourite ?

I write lots of things for people - websites, blog posts, short stories.. I like the short stories the most, because it gives me the chance to be really creative.
    What are your stories about @GemmaRowlands?
    mheredge said:

What are your stories about @GemmaRowlands?

Lots of different things.. because I write for clients, they will usually tell me what they have to be about. I do write a lot of romance stories though, and I enjoy those a lot.
  • icha_15icha_15 Posts: 127 ✭✭
    I like writing, though it is not always easy to do, but if the opportunity comes I would like to prepare any materials. It is realated to my discipline at my work place.
    Sometimes to kill a boredom I prefer to spend my time at the kitchen making cookies. I try the new recipes that I never did before and doing lil bit improvement or experiments. It works to reduce stress and hone our creativity as well.
    That must be fun @GemmaRowlands. I enjoy writing very much. At the moment I'm finishing an article about Nanjing. I don't know if it will be published but a new magazine in Shanghai is looking for essays about Chinese cities.
    mheredge said:

That must be fun @GemmaRowlands. I enjoy writing very much. At the moment I'm finishing an article about Nanjing. I don't know if it will be published but a new magazine in Shanghai is looking for essays about Chinese cities.

It's always worth submitting your work to publications and seeing where that takes you. You never know! And if people like what they read, they may get in touch and ask you to write things for them, too!
    I suppose most of the romance stories written by female writer, and i think women is better on it, though i'm just guessing of it, not sure, because most of the romance novel are written by female in my country
    Working with lots of clients in a day really made me run out of idea, but sometime it came into my mind on last minute.

I was wondering how to keep creativity flowing in mind, because sometimes idea might be dry up. Sometimes i were thinking of to go to somewhere to find for new ideas, such as, beaches, river or a place where it have a spectacular view.
    zaiymurs said:

Working with lots of clients in a day really made me run out of idea, but sometime it came into my mind on last minute.

I was wondering how to keep creativity flowing in mind, because sometimes idea might be dry up. Sometimes i were thinking of to go to somewhere to find for new ideas, such as, beaches, river or a place where it have a spectacular view.

I too work with many clients during the day. I have to spend a lot of my day being creative, so sometimes by the end of the day I don't have anything left, and all I want to do is to go to sleep again!
    I think it must be very difficult to always have to be creative, like it is something on tap @GemmaRowlands.

@zaiymurs I find long bus or train journeys perfect for thinking of ideas and being creative. Sometimes long walks too. I suppose it is like I am day-dreaming.
    mheredge said:

I think it must be very difficult to always have to be creative, like it is something on tap @GemmaRowlands.

Yes, it is. There are some days that I am very tired, and work takes a lot longer than normal. But I can't stop, because I need the money to pay the bills, so I have to carry on writing!
  • AndrewSotnikovAndrewSotnikov Posts: 55 ✭✭
    I am enginer. Sometimes I need clear my mind for reach new ideas. This can come after long cycling ride or spending whole day with nature where there are not to much people.

I am enginer. Sometimes I need clear my mind for reach new ideas. This can come after long cycling ride or spending whole day with nature where there are not to much people.

I think cycling is a great way to clear your mind, as you are away from work and any kind of technology, and all you need to do is focus on your route, and pedalling.
    > @GemmaRowlands said:
    > Yes, it is. There are some days that I am very tired, and work takes a lot longer than normal. But I can't stop, because I need the money to pay the bills, so I have to carry on writing!
    What kind of matrials do you write? Is it articles, books, technician materials?

> @GemmaRowlands said:

> Yes, it is. There are some days that I am very tired, and work takes a lot longer than normal. But I can't stop, because I need the money to pay the bills, so I have to carry on writing!

What kind of matrials do you write? Is it articles, books, technician materials?

Literally anything that people are willing to pay me for! It's mostly articles and blogs, though, as that is what the demand seems to be for at the moment.
    @GemmaRowlands , clear. Did you try some mediation practice? One writer which I know got a new breath of inspiration when he tried it.
    @GemmaRowlands I will be writing about trekking routes in Nepal but I am a bit worried as I haven't been to all of them. I have insisted on talking to some of the guides who come from some of the areas to get ideas on what can be seen. I refuse to write fake news!
    mheredge said:

@GemmaRowlands I will be writing about trekking routes in Nepal but I am a bit worried as I haven't been to all of them. I have insisted on talking to some of the guides who come from some of the areas to get ideas on what can be seen. I refuse to write fake news!

Talking to someone who has done it is almost as good, and they will be able to give you accurate reports about what it's like, so I don't think you have too much to worry about.
    Hopefully @GemmaRowlands as I'd hate to be accused of misleading anyone!
    mheredge said:

Hopefully @GemmaRowlands as I'd hate to be accused of misleading anyone!

I think lots of people accidentally mislead others through trusting the wrong people's information or by misinterpreting it. So I'm sure that nobody would blame you or think you did it purposefully.