Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

List of things about colleagues at work that are annoying

pryfllwydpryfllwyd The AnthropocenePosts: 1,405
edited January 2014 in Work and Money
From the independent today - 10 things that annoy people about work colleagues.
For the non-Brits amongst you number 2 is THE cardinal sin.

1. Social Notworking – messing around on Facebook and Twitter to avoid doing work – 26%

2. Déjà Brew – offering to make someone a cup of tea when you know for a fact they’ve just had one in the hope they will decline - 21%

3. Blue sky drinking – an unlimited free bar at a work party – 18%

4. Drainstorm – a poorly organised workshop, where everyone leaves feeling deflated – 15%

5. Human Desourcing – sacking people – 12%

6. Jambivalence – ignoring a printer blockage in the hope that someone else will fix it 12%

7. Google Naps – using Google to work out what time colleagues in the US will be sleeping, to avoid them replying to emails – 11%

8. W.T.F?! – the realisation that it is only Tuesday, and you have ‘Wednesday, Thursday, Friday?!’ still to go - 9%

9. Stock Home Syndrome – pinching stuff from the office - 7%

10. Shout-of-office – Someone who wants every single person in the building to know they are off on holiday – 6%
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,644 mod
    Social Notworking - But that's part of my job!

:bz
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,504 mod
    Number 6 used to be the one that used to really get my goat.

I don't think Facebook was invented when I was still working in an office. But if it was around, I'm sure it would have been blocked. I recall finding Morgan Stanley had even blocked email accounts to stop their employees writing emails in office time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 657
    I don't have a job. But I have a lot of annoying classmates.
    What are top ten most annoying things that your classmates get up to @nil (in order of most annoying)?
    @mheredge here's the list:
    1.They really rude and impolite.
    2.They just talk, talk, talk, and talk.
    3.I am sorry but I have to say this they are stupid. really stupid.
    4.Talk about some disgusting things while you are eating food.
    5.talk about politics and social.( I hate it a lot)
    6.They have no discipline.
    I don't know why they think they are the coolest student in class. I wrote six things. I don't remember any more about them.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,452 mod
    What about "forgetting" to flush the double you C or not providing a new roll of toilet paper after using the last sheet?
  • pryfllwydpryfllwyd The AnthropocenePosts: 1,405
    edited January 2014
    Sorry to say @mheredge but there is no real way to block social networking unless you take the employees phones away
    - which today is equivalent to amputation
    edited January 2014
    Hi @nil - your post describes "people" - maybe it's better to work with machines :)
    @april - that's WC - not double u c
    @pryfllwyd I said I don't have a job but I have a lot of annoying classmates. My classmates are annoying in my school, not machines. :)
    I know that @pryfllwyd, I just want to say that word a bit discreetly. :)
    Why not call it a 'loo' @april? The Americans call it a rest room. Not that I usually want to take a rest there.

I think I was lucky with my schoolmates @nil. I don't remember having any problems with them. Maybe the teachers sometimes. But as I said, I went to a good academic girls' grammar school. I suppose one of my pet hates was when some of the girls used to have a crush on one or other of the two male teachers who taught at the school. No surprise that both ended up getting fired for having relationships with students (so there must have been something in it), but I thought it was rather immature!
    @mheredge they had relationship with students?????!!!!?!?! :-O
    Thank God that our teachers are just women. We don't have any men or boy in the school. Because in that case we couldn't control our students.
    I wanted to tick LOL and Awesome @april. I love signs!

@nil are you saying that if you had male teachers at your school that no one would be able to control the students? In that case you'd be as bad as my British classmates!
    Yes @mheredge we wouldn't be able. It was better to say "in that case they'd be bad as my British classmates". I am not involve. I can control my self.
    edited January 2014
    It is not only a loo, but also a sort of café, in a busy shopping street like Oxford street.
    I haven't visited this place in spite of my curiosity. :)
    I'm talking about the picture here above of course.
    @april, is it near where you live? If it's convenient (it is a convenience after all...), please take a recce and report back. It seems a novel idea!

@nil I think you're far too sensible for the silliness that your classmates seem to like indulging in. Much as I liked my schoolfriends, I always kept out of their tricks and fantasies.
    No, mheredge, it's in the other city. :(
    Next time I'm visiting that place again, I'll try; the coffee and the loo as well. :)

edited January 2014
    Well if you're anything like me @april, coffee always makes me go! :-)
    Do you mean that coffee makes you go to the loo mheredge?
    Tea has that effect on me.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,644 mod
    Some people get annoyed with colleagues who smoke. They take lots of ciggy breaks.
    edited January 2014
    Tea too @april. Both have that tendency. Yes @Lynne, I used to think smokers had a very bad tendency to skive off at frequent intervals, in the name of their bad habit.
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me it's annoying that when I tell my colleagues that I'm not a soccer's follower, they laugh at me.
    Furthermore, after this fact of me has spread, anyone look at me as if I was an alien, not in the sense of foreign, really in the sense of martian
    I supposed it wasn't a rule to be terrestrial
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    Me too, @filauzio. I know exactly how you feel when I say that cricket doesn't interest me. Since it's an obsession with most Indians, they can't understand anyone not loving this very boring sport.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,744 mod
    Isn`t cricket a British game?
    @mheredge‌

Some time ago, from a radio station, I've got that when they're playing the most important cricket's competition, I mean India versus Pakistan, everyone in the country is going to stop activities, whatever one had been doing.
    I've also got that sometimes cricket's events are likely to last one day and more.
    It seems that a free person couldn't escape in any way.
    In Italy, soccer's followers are often violent too
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    @Hermine‌

As long as I know the matter, I suppose that cricket's origin was British, although it developed as National sport in India
    For some, the game is like a religion @filauzio‌. I didn't realise its origins went back to the 16th century. By the late eighteenth century it was England's national sport. With the expansion of the British Empire, it was inevitable that cricket was exported and by the mid-19th century the game had become international, with the first international matches being held. Nowadays, as well as in England (I'm not sure the Scots are so keen), it's very popular in Australasia and the Indian subcontinent, West Indies and Southern Africa.
    @mheredge‌

You have been exhaustive, I suppose, there's nothing else I could add.

Perhaps I just could remark what you've argued at the beginning, saying that game is like a religion.

I think you're right, and moreover one often feel surrounded by, for example, soccer's reports, loudly outstanding daily news, in any kind of media one could watch, consult or listen at.

To me this is extremely boring, it really seems I can't escape it unless definetly becoming a martian
This discussion has been closed.