Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Getting a list of "composed" expressions / understanding them

MebMeb Posts: 3
Hi there !
I've been wondering for a while and so far I did not find anything. What I'm calling "composed" expressions (because I don't know if there is an actual name for them) is when a word is added at the end often of a verb it can be out/up/... for example :
Figure out
Find out
Miss out
Pick up
Etc....

Also when I asked a native guy (from Scotland) about this habit of adding a word to make an expression he wasn't able to tell me why they are added and he told me that's a kind of a slang, but even on very officials speeches and interviews they are using them. Also I noticed that their use depends also a lot on the English spoken, I noticed than the Americans are using even more these kind of expressions than the British. For the anecdote I was struck by that when I've been in touch with an American company by email following to my inquiry the guy replied by "thank you to reach out I think we can help you out..." while a British would not use it so much for this context.

So if you've a got a list and/or an explanation on this I would be glad to get it :)

Thank you !

Comments

• MebMeb Posts: 3
    I could add "drag on" to vary a bit. The question here is why is it necessary to add a word while it can be totally understood without it. Whether if I say "I missed an opportunity" or "I missed out an opportunity" for me I just don't see the point of addind "out" here?
  • thuyvothuyvo Posts: 50 ✭✭
    hi @Meb Do you want to mention to the reason why we should use phrasal verb instead single verb?
  • MebMeb Posts: 3
    Hi, yes and also if you now where I could find a list of them ? Thank you
  • thuyvothuyvo Posts: 50 ✭✭
    @Meb, I have no idea, I dont know exactly the reason of using phrasal verb, but I find them in the dictionary follow the verb