Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Getting a list of "composed" expressions / understanding them

MebMeb Posts: 3
Hi there !
I've been wondering for a while and so far I did not find anything. What I'm calling "composed" expressions (because I don't know if there is an actual name for them) is when a word is added at the end often of a verb it can be out/up/... for example :
Figure out
Find out
Miss out
Pick up
Etc....

Also when I asked a native guy (from Scotland) about this habit of adding a word to make an expression he wasn't able to tell me why they are added and he told me that's a kind of a slang, but even on very officials speeches and interviews they are using them. Also I noticed that their use depends also a lot on the English spoken, I noticed than the Americans are using even more these kind of expressions than the British. For the anecdote I was struck by that when I've been in touch with an American company by email following to my inquiry the guy replied by "thank you to reach out I think we can help you out..." while a British would not use it so much for this context.

So if you've a got a list and/or an explanation on this I would be glad to get it :)

Thank you !

Comments

• MebMeb Posts: 3
    I could add "drag on" to vary a bit. The question here is why is it necessary to add a word while it can be totally understood without it. Whether if I say "I missed an opportunity" or "I missed out an opportunity" for me I just don't see the point of addind "out" here?
  • thuyvothuyvo Posts: 50 ✭✭
    hi @Meb Do you want to mention to the reason why we should use phrasal verb instead single verb?
  • MebMeb Posts: 3
    Hi, yes and also if you now where I could find a list of them ? Thank you
  • thuyvothuyvo Posts: 50 ✭✭
    @Meb, I have no idea, I dont know exactly the reason of using phrasal verb, but I find them in the dictionary follow the verb