Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Parallelogram rule ;)

XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
@Lynne, could you take a look at it?

Il suit de-là que le mouvement d'un Corps peut toujours se résoudre en deux autres mouvemens, en faisant que la ligne dans laquelle un Corps se meut, devienne la diagonale d'un parallélogramme dont les deux côtés, dans leur longueur et leur position, représenteront les directions et les vitesses des deux mouvemens, dans lesquels celui du Corps que l'on considère sera résolu.

It follows from this that the movement of a body can be always decomposed into two other movements such that the line a body describes becomes a diagonal of a parallelogram, two sides of which, with both their lengths and positions, will represent the directions and the velocities of the two movements into which the movement of a given body will be decomposed. (258-259)

Cette méthode est d'un grand usage dans les méchaniques, car en décomposant ainsi le mouvement des Corps, on connait la quantité de leur action sur les obstacles qu'ils pressent et la quantité de la résistance de ces obstacles, les Corps n'agissant, et ne résistant que par leur action perpendiculaire.

This method is of great use in mechanics since by decomposing movements of bodies one gets to know the quantity of their action on the obstacles they press and the quantity of the resistance of these obstacles, the action and resistance of the bodies being only perpendicular.
Tagged:

Comments

• XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another one:

On connait le chemin d'un mobile mu par deux forces quelconques, lorsque l'on connait la vitesse que chacune de ces deux forces lui imprime, et l'angle que leurs directions font entr'elles;

One knows the trajectory of a movable object set in motion by any two forces when one knows the velocity imparted to it by each of these two forces and the angle formed by their directions.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,472 mod
    edited July 1
    Ha ha @Xanthippe, thank you for the implication that you think I am a genius, but this is way beyond me.

Maybe @Zom can help.

I would think "decomposed" should be "resolved".
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    ROFL - Doesn't even sound French to me. I mean it's as if some words have changed definition.
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2
    Great, thank you, @Lynne. :) That's right. :) Corrected. :)

@Zom, well, I don't think so. But perhaps you would simply use a free body diagram.