Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Do you prefer to live in the country, a village, town, or the city?

12346»

Comments

• lisalisa Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    @Paulette exercises are splendid, I think
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,367 mod

@GemmaRowlands

That’ll be just great, only if you have enough capacity to take care of both houses. I’d love to have several houses each in a place where I’d want to visit from time to time. I would be doing a round trip touring my houses in that case. But keeping them nice and clean is going to cost me a lot of money, time, and effort, which would then destroy the initial purpose. Haha. Can’t be at multiple places at one time; it’s defying the physical law.

I think I need to win the lottery so I'll have the money to have someone to live in both houses to look after them while I'm not there.. but I think I'm just dreaming now!
  • madhugmadhug Posts: 784 ✭✭✭
    Dreaming is a good habit for our goals @GemmaRowlands dream your goals every day and you can accomplish it.
  • madhugmadhug Posts: 784 ✭✭✭
    > @Paulette said:
    > @takafromtokyo I live in a small city but I live not in the centre of the city but at the border of it, and in my area there are a lot of meadows and ponds where you can hear the sound of the nature such like the noise of frogs and also the noise of cows and sheep. There is even an owl in the vicinity.
    > I like cycling and many times I cycle from my house to the city in 30 minutes.

You are lucky @Paulette, Living with nature is gods gift. I am happy to hear your places.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,819 mod
    @takafromtokyo lots of people cycle in Nice as there are lots of cycle lanes.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge
    One downside of living in Nice could be getting groceries if bicycles are the main transportation living there. I usually go and get the groceries on weekends, and when I go shopping for them, I usually bring back three or sometimes even four large bags filled with items. I don’t think it’s going to be pretty if I had to use a bike to carry them.
    I live up a bit of a hill, so using a bicycle isn't that tempting for me @takafromtokyo. I have got a little bag on wheels that I use when I think I might have a lot, but a rucksack is easier as I also have three flights of stairs (no lift) to climb when I get back to my place.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge
    I see. A backpack is what I always carry around with me. I know how it’s useful, too!!
    I have different size backpacks depending on what I'm doing @takafromtokyo. My favourite is a little red one that a friend in Kathmandu made to order, using the finest quality Japanese photography bag material. It is not big enough to carry much shopping, though I keep a couple of cloth bags in it just in case.

I usually take a 30-35 litre size day pack to do my shopping which is big enough as if I fill it this is quite heavy enough that I wouldn't want to carry any more.
  • JessikJessik Posts: 19 ✭✭
    I prefer busy cities, the more modern and developed, the better! But I would like to have a cottage in the countryside where I could escape the crowd for a couple of days, not more
    I think I wouldn't mind being in the countryside if I had a car and it didn't take long to get to a town or city @Jessik. I would hate to feel cut off.
  • ZeyaZeya Posts: 31 ✭✭
    I prefer to live in village because it's so calm and peace :D , moreover, living in a village it's relaxing our mind with its special things like the fresh air, the scenery and so on that we can't find it in a big city.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 9,433 mod
    @Zeya I live at the border of a small city and it is nice to live at the countryside of a city because then you can enjoy the nature and the quietness and you are also in a 20 minutes into the city where you can find everything.
    @Paulette wow,, it's amazing. Actually I also live in a small village, but my village is the only way to get to the city. Therefore, although I can feel the village's atmosphere, but it's so crowded (full of vehicles). When the weekend comes, the traffic jam happens everywhere. Then, the situation here is not as good as your village.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 9,433 mod
    @Zeya I know the problems of the traffic jams, but mostly i go per bike tot the city, it is twenty minutes to an half an hour cycling, and we have good cycle tracks away from the busy road.
    My friend who lives in a small town in Solukhumbu, (the district where Mount Everest can bve found) has invited me to come to visit when I am in Nepal in the next few weeks. I love it there so I am going to see how I can arrange some time to go. The biggest problem is that it is a 12 hour jeep journey from Kathmandu.

@Paulette wow, it's seem so nice riding a bike in your place. In my place, you hardly find it because mostly in my place the people prefer to ride motorcycle than a bike.
    @mheredge wow, it's so beautiful. You have to visit it. Although it needs much time to get there, you will get a beautiful scenery when you arrived that place. The mount everest looks so beautiful :)
    edited January 21
    Actually the mountain in the background is not Everest @Zeya, which is hidden by the mountains (Salleri is about 7 days' walk south of the mountain).

Everest is a rather unattractive-shaped mountain, even if it is the highest.