Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Do you prefer to live in the country, a village, town, or the city?

ridorridor Posts: 25 ✭✭
A question for everybody. Do you prefer to live in the country, a village, town, or the city?
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,992 mod
    I thought I preferred the country but really I'm a city person as I like the convenience of being closed to transport and all thd amenities you have to travel for if you live in a village.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    edited July 3
    I prefer a city, I lived in country for 6 years and I didn't like it. It this mean, I never accustomed to local mentality, all people know what you do, where you go. It bothered me.
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 737 OTT
    People make the place wherever you may live
  • jhoy16jhoy16 Posts: 36 ✭✭
    I prefer to live in a village, away from crowded and polluted city. For in the village, you can have fresher air and greener environment.
    There are times when I'm glad I'm in a city. When there's a problem with the electricity, at least the service is fairly quick. I dread to think how long it would take to get anything fixed if I lived in one of the villages a few hours inland from Nice.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,477 mod
    edited July 26
    I would love to live in the countryside. On the edges of, or just outside a village, with a pub or two and a post office. I don't think I would enjoy living in the village, as I like my privacy. (You may be surprised to learn that living in the countryside is a dream for many British people. Hence TV programs like Escape to the Country.)

@Zom - You should answer this one. :smile:
    I like not having to have to rely on my own transport @Lynne, so living somewhere with a decent public transport system is my first priority.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,307 mod
    I like where I live now. It's in the countryside, but is just a half hour drive away from the city. You wouldn't know it when you were here though, so it's the best of both worlds really.
    The village I visited today is really nice but it takes about two hours to reach from Nice. This is a bit far to do every day. There's another village that's really good that's only about 40 minutes by train on the same line which is much more handy if I wanted to live in a village.
  • RitaLeeRitaLee Posts: 59 ✭✭
    I prefer to live in the city, but i don't wan't the city with traffic jam . I only live in countryside for few days, it's a great place for relaxing
    I think a lot of people these days like to be in the countryside but only as long as it doesn't take too long to get to the city. I don't know what sort of limit you have @RitaLee but I think more than an hour is reckoned to be 'far'. That said, there are many commuters in Britain who take up to two hours a day each way to get to work.
  • bogdan10bogdan10 Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Someone can please explain the difference between city and town?
  • RitaLeeRitaLee Posts: 59 ✭✭
    @mheredge You are right. But I just want to go home as soon as possible after work. It's very tired when we are in the mess on the long way.
    RitaLee said:

I prefer to live in the city, but i don't wan't the city with traffic jam . I only live in countryside for few days, it's a great place for relaxing

It is frustrating to have to sit in traffic a lot because of where you live, so I can see why you wouldn't want to live in the city for that reason. There is very little traffic where I am, so you can be almost certain that you won't get stuck, no matter where you want to go.
    bogdan10 said:

A city in Britain has a cathedral @bogdan and this qualifies it to be called a city. Generally however, they are bigger than towns.

http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/politics/difference-between-city-and-town/
  • RaraAvisRaraAvis Posts: 93 ✭✭
    I prefer to live in the city because it's comfortable when you need to go shopping or to work. And people who live in cities have a wider range of opportunities. As for the village I'd love to go there on holidays and rest from the city routine. It's cool to breathe some fresh air and spend your time for pleasure, going to the forest or to the river and do many other activities.
    I am going to go to my familiar village for the weekend, but I think two day being observed by neighbours will be enough.
    You have to keep the neighbours entertained @nomad81. After all, they need something interesting to spice up their days. :) :D
    mheredge said:

bogdan10 said:

A city in Britain has a cathedral @bogdan and this qualifies it to be called a city. Generally however, they are bigger than towns.

http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/politics/difference-between-city-and-town/
    You also tend to find there's a lot more to do. Better shops, more attractions etc. So if you're visiting the UK, always try to head for a city if you're wondering where to find things to do!
    Small towns and villages tend to be much more friendly and people usually know their neighbours @bogdan10. Cities are often a lot more impersonal and not as friendly.
    mheredge said:

Small towns and villages tend to be much more friendly and people usually know their neighbours @bogdan10. Cities are often a lot more impersonal and not as friendly.

I find this to be true. Lots of people in my village know each other. I don't know many people so I am not really a part of the local community, but in general people are quite friendly to each other.
  • KA1KA1 Posts: 86 ✭✭
    While living in the country or in a village would be peaceful, quite, clean and people are usually more friendly, I think it would be too boring for me. I prefer what the city has to offer, despite of the traffic, pollution, cost... etc.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @KA1 I think you can live either in a city or a village peaceful, there is difference indeed in a city there is a lot of trafic noise, but in a village you can hear also noise, but it is a nature noise from cows, sheep, owls, a peacock, birds and ect.... So a village isn't boring to live there are always differnt wonders of the nature to enjoying.
    @Paulette you are correct there are natural noices which can wake you up early :)

To many people it is not boring at all. Just to me personally I think it would be too boring, as I have always lived in the city & I am used to what the city has to offer.
    edited August 12
    I think I have to agree with you @KA1. I like the countryside for visiting, but prefer being in a town or city to live.
    Post edited by mheredge on
    Sounds good @mheredge
    Yesterday hiking in the mountains, the only noise was of the wind and in one place, the sound of water running in a stream. It was very peaceful. Now back in the town, I hear a particularly vocal bird singing, but at the same time some traffic noise.
    My friend proposed to buy a plot of land out of town, near a mountains. I think about it. I am not a type of man who like a village atmosphere but I adore to hike in the mountains. There will be an opportunity to build a small house so I could have a base to my mountain's venture. A purchase could be an investment.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21
    @nomad81 if you can invest in a house near the mountains then it is a nice project because you can enjoy it for hiking if you are free. This house can be a good investment because you can rent this house some times to other people who like the nature and so your house raise money.
    Here in Belgium, a lot op people who lived on the city, buy a house at the North Sea coast and they rent it to some other people a few months of the year. So it is a very clever investment.
    I agree with @Paulette @nomad81 though you have to be careful if it is as an investment as this might depend on where it is and a lot of other factors. I know property prices in the villages in the Alpes Maritimes are cheap but this is because no one really wants to live in these places. It is sad because they tend to be only busy in the summer with visitors, but empty for the rest of the year.