Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Laughing is healthy, but how much do we spontaneous laugh in our life?

PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do you smile or even laughing out loud?

Do you laugh if you're alone or do you only laugh in a social group?

When and why did you smile spontaneously, tell us.
Tagged:

Comments

• PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really smiled very spontaneously with myself today. When I discovered that I was wearing totally wrong my sweater while I was shopping.
    I found myself very stupid and while I looked around me, I couldn't clog my smile and believe me other people laughed also spontaneously. I don't know if it was of my wrong sweater or that it was because I was laughing, but I liked it.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,171 mod
    What was wrong with it @Paulette? Are you sure other people would have known it wasn't right?

I had a good laugh today when with my cousins, we met an old lady who had a wonderfully positive attitude to what for most people would have a really tough life. She was really funny and we all left laughing at her jokes.

I don't tend to laugh at nothing, spontaneously out of the blue as I think people might wonder and think I'm nuts. That said, even if I'm not smiling so people might see I'm happy, I'm usually grinning inside to myself.
    @mheredge I think they saw it because a lot of people looked to my side when I was paying my bill at the cash desk.

But so what I could laugh and so I had a good and healthy day because I read that laughing a half an hour a day is a natural protection against a heart attack!
    I sometimes get funny looks because I smile a lot, but I'm not sure if I have laughed to myself out loud in public much @Paulette. Perhaps I should try it. I went once to a laughing meditation session which was great fun. We laughed nonstop for over an hour.
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
    I click the LOL button, my face impassive.
    @Shiny03 mentioned that Japanese people don't smile much @Yellowtail. I found lots of Japanese smiling though, or maybe they couldn't help it after I smiled at them!
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge
    My favorite Japanese ethnic joke:
    Japanese people laugh three times at one joke. First, when they hear the joke. Second, when they hear the explanation of what the joke means. Third, when, in the bed that night, they understand the joke.

We have been trained to be cooperative, so if other people smile, we think we should smile.
    So I understand @yellowtail that the Japanese are very healty because they have three times a laugh session for one joke! :p
    Laughing is one of the wonderful skills that people have, but animals probably not. To laugh, you create a little distance to look at yourself. By laughing, "big" problems suddenly seem a lot smaller. By a positive look, difficulties suddenly seem to be conquerable. You'll see a faster solution because you place less emphasis on the size of the problem.
    A laughing person lives more optimistic.

@mheredge

My favorite Japanese ethnic joke:

Japanese people laugh three times at one joke. First, when they hear the joke. Second, when they hear the explanation of what the joke means. Third, when, in the bed that night, they understand the joke.

We have been trained to be cooperative, so if other people smile, we think we should smile.

Japanese tea ceremony (three tastings) and Japanese joke ceremony (three understandings) @Yellowtail.
    edited August 12
    @mheredge and @yellowtail maybe we can try to do like the Japanese are doing. So I read the morning joke three times and you can't believe it, I had three times enjoyment of the joke: the first time I had a smile, the second time my laugh was bigger and the third time I was laughing loud and my husband asked me: "What is happened there in the bathroom and I told him what I did and yes my husband had also again a big smile. So you see it is the truth what Japanese say.
    Post edited by Paulette on

I like playing little games to see how long it takes to make people smile. People must think me very strange but I usually win @Paulette.
    @mheredge there are always winners in a game. I think the winner is the one who as last start to smile?
    But the goal is achieved you are able to bring many people a smile. Congratulations!
    @Paulette the challenge is to stop those miserable stern expressions. It usually doesn't take too long though.
  • Baho26Baho26 Posts: 54 ✭✭
    I think it's difficult to express your feelings in front of people. But i prefer to express my feelings alone because no one know what makes me happier, sad, laugh loud. When you have time to express your feelings alone, you will be much better.
    @Baho26 indeed sometimes it is difficult to express your feelings in a group but if you are in a group that you know well then can express your feelings be good for you. Unloading your feelings can really do good because humans remain human and you must not stop emotions, we can show how we feel us because this give a sense of togetherness and this, usually is a lack in this world.
  • Baho26Baho26 Posts: 54 ✭✭
    @Paulette I agree. We can share our feelings in a group. But only closed people who know us well. Because I look around, only few people want to hear your feelings and another only hear the feelings but no caring.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,767 mod
    Whenever I need to smile, I phone my best friend. We always have amazing banter together, and it is a friendship that is completely unlike any other that I have experienced. So whenever I need to laugh or smile, he is the one I call.
  • yui_2000yui_2000 Posts: 37 ✭✭
    I laughed at home too much but I don't feel comfortable to laugh outside. Any solution?
    @yui_2000 laughing sometimes works contagious, certainly in a group.
    I'm a former teacher ( I am retired now) and sometimes at a small coincidence: eg a name I misunderstood, the class laughed spontaneously and I know when a student started laughing that followed the whole class, including myself. I thought this was good but I had to know why they laughed and so I was corrected and I never again said their name wrong.
  • yui_2000yui_2000 Posts: 37 ✭✭
    @Paulette Thanks for sharing a cute story.
    Actually, I knew the reason why I can't feel comfortable. I'm a shy person and I can't adjust to the new environment easily. I don't know how to solve the problem. :((
    Sometimes, I laugh at home for no reason but outside it's really hard...
  • manman Posts: 3
    It happens not so often. Sometimes I smile and laugh after I see some joke on the internet.
    edited August 16
    @man welcome on the forum and do you know there is a discussion category 'humour' and there you can find "Do you have a joke?". I think there are a lot of jokes that will give you a smile! :)
    Post edited by Paulette on
    Spontaneous laughter is not as common as laughing when there is something to trigger it, like a joke. When you hear a joke, you are expecting a funny ending, so it can be easier to laugh. Spontaneous laughter is more like a surprising thing that occurs to make you burst out laughing. To be honest, I'm not quite sure the last time I laughed like this though I laugh a lot.
    @mheredge I agree with you. I remember me the times when I was a teacher and sometimes if I told somethings at the students, there was after a short tension in the class, begon a few students laughing spontaneous. And then I thought good heaven what have I said? Mostly I remembered then my slip of tongue and then the class was laughing at all. And do you know I miss such a situations very much....
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    I remember I once laughed so spontaneously that I laid on the floor and I held my belly. I had returned from school and I saw that my younger sister dressed up our cats in dolls' dresses. They ran away home and they climbed on tree.
    edited August 17
    Hahaha poor cats! @nomad81 did they ever forgive your sister?

The first time I watched The Full Monty I was in a cinema so I had to restrain myself from rolling around with laughter as I found this film very funny.
    Post edited by mheredge on
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge Yes, they have forgiven her, they got their tasty treats
    I watched The Full Monty too, it was funny. One of the theaters made a play based on the film. I am going to see it when new theatrical season starts in September.
    I remember an anecdote with a student where we couldn't almost just stop laughing.
    It was on a practical internship at the hospital. We were busy taking care of a patient when the fellow patient suddenly made strange sounds and so we both looked behind the scenes for this patient and the problem was; This man wanted to take a bite from an apple and his denture was staying in the apple, so this was a comic situation, the sight was so comic, you have to imagine this situation.
    The man found it also very hilaric and he made a joke of it.
    The situation was such as on the picture underneath.