Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Hermineˋs sixth essay

HermineHermine ModeratorPosts: 6,239 mod
edited June 20 in Your Writing
Yesterday in school I felt so sorry for the kids in our class. Weˋre having a spell of hot summery days. The class was floated by sunshine and our teacher was fond to teach the kids about heavy, I mean really heavy stuff , in grammar.
Some of the kids had their heads rested on their desk. The last long weekend was a short pretaste of the long summer vacations. (I bet some of the kids were dreaming being at the puplic swimming pools diving and swimming instead of being caught by the teacherˋs eyes)
Their rest didnˋt last for long, because the teacher has very good eyes and doesnˋt miss when someoneˋs misbehaving.

We learnt about ˋinterrogativ pronounsˋ and more of such things. I really wonder who of the kids did understand the matter and will use it properly. But on the other side if you hear the word in German it is much easer. But the Latin words can easily make someone confused.
I know to know such things are really important for the kids who are going to join another school when theyˋre older, but for the rest it is a real disaster.

At the end of the four school years a huge German grammar test will hit them. The kids own a grammar map where all the important stuff is stored. I hope by then I can give them a helpful hand.

Comments

• FarmduckFarmduck Posts: 42 ✭✭
    The class was flooded with sunshine and our teacher wanted to teach the kids about heavy, I mean really heavy, stuff about grammar.

I bet some of the kids were dreaming of (or about) being at the public swimming pools, diving and swimming, instead of being caught by the teacher's eye. (or catching the teacher's eye) **WARNING** Irrational English - an object "catches my eye" even when I see it with both eyes. Why? Nobody knows. There was probably some reason 700 years ago but nobody remembers it now.

We learnt about interrogative pronouns and more of such things. "and more of such things" is grammatically correct but in common usage I would say "and similar things," OR "and similar topics/subjects"

"who of the kids did understand the matter" Again this is correct but "who of the kids understood the matter" sounds better.

"I know to know such things are really important" Again, it would sound better as "I know that knowing such things is really important." I used "is" instead of "are" because the subject is "knowing" or "to know" and singular. Regardless of how many things I know, the act of knowing is singular.

Also I would probably use "these things" instead of "such things." These things suggests the things we learnt today in this class. Such things suggest a general class of things, such as the rules of grammar. Since you are speaking about specific incidents today, "these things" would fit better.

My comments are mostly about common usage. Your grammar and vocabulary are good. Your sentence structure, word order and placement of phrases is good and I easily understood the meaning.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,239 mod
    Hi @Farmduck -- thanks for your correction.

May I ask you where do you come from? I saw on the number of your entries that you are new here.
  • FarmduckFarmduck Posts: 42 ✭✭
    @Hermine I am Australian.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,472 mod
    edited June 24
    Thanks @Farmduck.

Ha ha - the last time I asked in the forum, "Have I got my eye on you?" I was asked if I only had one eye. :lol

@Hermine - We were talking about this hot spell in Thursday's Speakeasy, and we read about some schoolboys in the UK who ... well you read it.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/jun/22/teenage-boys-wear-skirts-to-school-protest-no-shorts-uniform-policy

With children like this in the world, I am more optimistic about the future.