Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What do you think of Humanity?

balubalu Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited June 24 in Discuss the News
I believe nowadays humanity has reached the lowest stage. Anywhere I see, our desperate need to care only of ourselves has exceeded other things. Of course, There are some exceptional people who can give everything to the poor and unfortunate. But sadly, they are less.
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• balubalu Posts: 22 ✭✭
    For me, the Syria war was just an eye-opener. Because when you see in Syria, right now, there are so many children who are feeling helpless. Chemical attacks on children are done. It was heart wrenching for me to see the young children suffer. Many of us seem to ignore the fact that the war is dangerous. I think, we only react when the danger gets to us. Until then, we seem to live in a dreamy land. So, if possible kindly express your views on humanity and war in Syria.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,145 mod
    I think humans through the ages have been pretty bad @balu. I'm not sure we're any worse than we have been since time immemorial.
  • FarmduckFarmduck Posts: 27 ✭✭
    There is a saying that, "Truth is the first casualty in war." Because of the danger it is impossible for journalists to travel freely in a war zone and tell us what is happening. We are forced to rely on information sources that cannot be verified. Syria is a perfect example of this. In Australia I have no possible way of getting completely unbiased information about Syria so I cannot form an opinion about the merits of any of the participants. I want the killing to stop but I fear that this is just another chapter in the permanent war that George Orwell talked about in his book, 1984.
    During the last Gulf War @Farmduck I remember the Americans wanted to block Aljazeera News. The problem was that at the time this was just about the only reliable news reporting coming from the area. Obviously they have their own agenda (it is owned by a relative of the Sheik of Qatar) but now they employ some of the top reporters in the world. I tend to rely on them more than the BBC these days, especially if they are reporting about news in the Middle East.
  • FarmduckFarmduck Posts: 27 ✭✭
    I noticed today that Saudi Arabis is demanding that Qatar close down Al Jazeera if they want the current sanctions lifted. That tells me that Al Jazeera has been telling the truth about Saudi Arabia.
    Exactly @Farmduck. I'm appalled at how the US has played both sides - cosying up to the Saudis as they have such huge business interests there, but also having to keep sweet with Qatar over defence.