Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Tower block fire in London

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,170 mod
April mentioned the fire in today's TTTH session, and I said "I know", because hubby had mentioned a fire this morning, but I had no idea just how bad it was.

Tagged:

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,675 mod
    Poor London is having a tough time. Over 200 firefighters were called to put the fire out at this tower block in Nottinghill Gate, west London. They were working all night last night to put the last of the fire out. Over a dozen have been identified as dead, but many more are still missing. There are 68 patients being treated in six hospitals, 18 are in critical care wards. Again, the London hospitals are having to rally to a large scale emergency.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/14/fire-24-storey-grenfell-tower-block-white-city-latimer-road-london?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=230673&subid=11006640&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

A lot of questions are being asked as to how a fire like this could happen.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,010 mod
    Yesterday I followed the reportings of BBC on TV about this sad tragedy.

What does ˋ stay putˋ mean? It was to read on a sign for rules. Iˋm not sure was it anyhwere dispayed in the 24-story building.

@Lynne and @Marianne

Thanks in advance.

Our school has an emercency exit. It is a steal staircase behind the buildiing. Itˋs always open but itˋs closed for getting inside.

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,170 mod
    I someone tells you to "stay put", it means don't move from this place.
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ' ...Sadiq Khan, the mayor of London, said legitimate questions had to be answered, including over the fire safety strategy for the building, which told residents to stay put inside their flat if a blaze broke out... '

This is not just intolerable to read, it's completely disgusting: one tower block 70 metres high is burning and consuming in the twinkling of an eye, like a match, and all you have to say and advise about is ' stay put inside your flats ? '.
    This goes far beyond my grasp and tolerance.
    It is a big scandal @filauzio. It has overshadowed everything else in the news. I am sure there will be a lot of searching questions and I can only hope that if there are any other buildings like this, they will be fixed as soon as possible.
    Just by thinking that among the main reasons, there might have been the fact that they haven't chosen fire-proof coating panels, besides, the cheapest quality ones, make my wrists tremble, @mheredge.
    I also wonder at fire escapes @filauzio. I'm not sure what they had in this building. I remember staying in a tenth floor apartment once and although there was a fire escape, it was always kept locked!
    I still can't put up with the way this terrible tragedy happened, @mheredge; I wonder what the safety measures in case of fire should have been though. I thought of fire escapes leading to a series of iron flights of stairs fixed on one of the outside wall; however, given the terrific blaze which kept wrapping and coiling inexorably, floor after floor, the tower, I'm afraid it would turn out of no use at all.
    I think they ought to have provided the tower with a inner fire-proof well, made of reinforced concrete, to be entered, at every floor, by means of fire-wall steel doors.
    This well should have been supplied with a fumes suction system too.
    In addition to this fire safety building, the tower block administration should have made sure that, at any floors, there were either a sprinkling plant, or a loudly ringing buzzer, this latter able to set off at the minimum accumulation of fumes.
    People leaving the flats at the alarm, then, would have rapidly made their way out, being led by phosphorescent signals indicating the exit path.

Unfortunately, all this beautiful words, wherever the money isn't put out to turn them into facts, remain just ink on paper.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 354 ✭✭✭
    edited June 20
    > @filauzio said:

> Unfortunately, all this beautiful words, wherever the money isn't put out to turn them into facts, remain just ink on paper.

Fire inspectors and building comissions exist to change this. The building isn't old it should have complied with some fire safety regulations.

When I was visiting London I lived in a hotel which would have never got a permission to operate here since its corridors were too narrow for two people to pass.

Is there a kind of agency in England which approves blueprints before start and allows using of a newly completed house intended for public use?

I heard the building belonged to a council, so some official made the decision to use flammable materials. It should be dealt as a felony.
    @Practical_Severard wrote:

' ... I heard the building belonged to a council, so some official made the decision to use flammable materials. It should be dealt as a felony.'

I heartily hope so; let's hope the documents proving the misdeed won't turn out even more susceptible of taking on fire than the covering panels though.