Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Are gamers being ripped off?

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,170 mod
edited June 13 in Technology and Games
A lot of gamer gear is very expensive. From flashy "gamer" PCs (rigs) and laptops (as far as I can see the only difference is a glowing something or other on the case) to fancy keyboards and mouses with triggers and hot keys.
The BBC has investigated:-
http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-40218662/gamer-gear-is-razer-revolutionary-or-overpriced

Are gamers being ripped off? 5 votes

Yes, and it's wrong.
20%
GemmaRowlands 1 vote
Yes, but it's okay as long as it looks cool.
40%
LynneYellowtail 2 votes
No, you get what you pay for.
20%
aladdin 1 vote
No, these items give you an edge.
20%
theDom 1 vote
Tagged:

Comments

• YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 674 ✭✭✭
    And no, they are not ripped off. Their parents are.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,677 mod
    Yes, and it's wrong.

And no, they are not ripped off. Their parents are.

Not all gamers are children, though. I have a lot of adult friends who enjoy gaming and who spend a lot of money on things.

I think lots of things are overpriced, but you could say that about anything. So I don't have a major problem with the physical equipment associated with gaming.

What I do have an issue with however is when people pay huge amounts of money for add-ons within a game - you don't get anything physical to show for it, and of course it costs the game developers nothing to add it to your account, so to make things so expensive isn't fair in my opinion.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,008 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know which option to choose as no idea about games. Really a boring person! I don't even have a crush on candy crush like many others. ;)
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 674 ✭✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands
    You're right. Gamers who pay huge amount of money for add-ons seem like drug addicts to me.
    Yes, and it's wrong.

@GemmaRowlands

You're right. Gamers who pay huge amount of money for add-ons seem like drug addicts to me.

Yes, I agree. I have only ever bought add-ons for games a handful of times, and that is only when I am really, really bored, and genuinely don't have anything better to be doing with my time.
  • aladdinaladdin Radio Producer LEOnetworkPosts: 1,505 mod
    No, you get what you pay for.
    I don't like PC as a platform for playing games anymore :D . So you get what you pay for.
  • theDomtheDom Posts: 18 ✭✭
    No, these items give you an edge.
    I think if you have all these high expensive gamer gear then you are totally cool. A good gamer needs to have a good gear.
    Yes, and it's wrong.
    theDom said:

I think if you have all these high expensive gamer gear then you are totally cool. A good gamer needs to have a good gear.

I agree actually. There are some people who see gaming as much more than just a hobby, and if you are one of those people then that's fair enough.