Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Where are you going on holiday this year?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,767 mod
This is the time of year when lots of people choose to go on holiday, so I thought we could share where we're all going!

I am staying in England, but I'm going on an adventure holiday with my two friends. We will be able to do lots of different activities, so it should be very fun indeed! And plenty of exercise, which I don't usually get as I have to spend so much time sitting at my desk.

What about you? Where are you going on holiday this year?
«13

Comments

  • zizoutamlazizoutamla Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Well, as a teacher, I've got a long holiday ahead; thus, I'm thinking of paying visits to some cities here in my beautiful country Morocco
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,593 mod
    Ah the joys of working in an educational institution. :smile:

    This year we have changed our usual holiday period so that we can attend our nephew's wedding. I'm looking forward to it, but it will be strange to be in the UK in July. I wonder if it will rain. ;)
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,767 mod
    Lynne said:

    Ah the joys of working in an educational institution. :smile:

    This year we have changed our usual holiday period so that we can attend our nephew's wedding. I'm looking forward to it, but it will be strange to be in the UK in July. I wonder if it will rain. ;)

    Well, I sincerely hope it won't! Apparently the weather here is going to continue being hot until September. I am hoping this means there won't be another drop of rain for the whole time!
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 754 OTT
    @GemmaRowlands
    Mountains, seaside and the city
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,767 mod

    @GemmaRowlands

    Mountains, seaside and the city

    That sounds great. It is great if you have found somewhere you can stay where you can visit all of those places, as it means that you will be able to do an awful lot while you are on your holiday!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,171 mod
    I try to avoid the summer for going on holiday because of the crowds. However this is the first summer I'm spending in Nice, which is where huge numbers of tourists come for their holidays. I think I will have to avoid the old town and the beaches!
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9
    In a few weeks we are going (my husband, me and our dog) to Austria. We like to walk in the mountains at heights above the tree line. We rent a chalet and then we make walks of about 12 to 15 km. I like nature and in the mountains I feel so free on the heights were you cn see the extensiveness of the world.

  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,767 mod
    Paulette said:

    In a few weeks we are going (my husband, me and our dog) to Austria. We like to walk in the mountains at heights above the tree line. We rent a chalet and then we make walks of about 12 to 15 km. I like nature and in the mountains I feel so free on the heights were you cn see the extensiveness of the world.

    I love going on holiday to places where you can just walk and walk for the whole time, and see beautiful sights. That photo looks stunning, and I am sure that you will have a wonderful time being surrounded by that scenery.
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 754 OTT
    @GemmaRowlands every day is a holiday
    http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/07/rain.html
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,767 mod
    I like that thinking. I wish that every day was really a holiday, but unfortunately I have so much to do on most of my days that I am not able to think like that!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,171 mod
    In about 10 weeks I will be in Nepal (though I'm not sure how much this counts as holiday). I will however be spending a week in Turkey at the beginning of September on the way to Kathmandu. This will be a holiday!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,767 mod
    mheredge said:

    In about 10 weeks I will be in Nepal (though I'm not sure how much this counts as holiday). I will however be spending a week in Turkey at the beginning of September on the way to Kathmandu. This will be a holiday!

    I know a lot of people who have been on holiday to Turkey recently, so I guess it must be a popular destination at the moment. I believe it is a wonderful country to visit, so that must be why so many people want to!
  • yui_2000yui_2000 Posts: 37 ✭✭
    Summer is an especially popular time to go to the beach.
    I'm gonna travel to Phan Thiet Beach for 5 days. So exciting!
    I went shopping with my mom to prepare for this trip and I bought two nice maxi dresses. I'm pretty little so it's great that the shop has my size.
    On top of that, this trip is free!
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16
    A maxi dress! What is a maxi dress @yui_2000?

    But above all, what do you do get free trips? I want a free trip too. >.<
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Zom and @yui_2000 a free trip sounds wonderful, I am also very interested!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,171 mod
    I remember maxi-dresses. Weren't they a backlash to mini-dresses?
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,767 mod
    Zom said:

    A maxi dress! What is a maxi dress @yui_2000?

    But above all, what do you do get free trips? I want a free trip too. >.<</p>

    A maxi dress is just a long dress. It usually hangs right to the floor. I like them, as it helps to keep me from being sunburned!
  • yui_2000yui_2000 Posts: 37 ✭✭
    @Zom Actually, this trip is a seminar I applied for. The organizer gave us free trip ~

    @mheredge My legs aren't pretty so maxi is a good choice. I also wanna try mini-dresses tho
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @yui_2000 - Fingers crossed you'll have plenty of free time to enjoy Phan Thiet beside the seminar.
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @yui_2000 enjoy your seminar trip, I wish you a lot of new knowledge and also a lot of fun.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,767 mod
    yui_2000 said:

    @Zom Actually, this trip is a seminar I applied for. The organizer gave us free trip ~



    @mheredge My legs aren't pretty so maxi is a good choice. I also wanna try mini-dresses tho

    It's always good when you can attend events such as seminars in places you've never been before. I hope that you manage to get some exploring done at the same time!
  • mounamouna Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭
    I have just get my passeport then no time to have a VISA,I'll programm with my friend a visit to Tunisia specially to sousse,we'll go to Marhaba Palace hotel and we'll spend there 5 days.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mouna enjoy your holidays with your friend, I hope it will be a wonderful time.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,767 mod
    mouna said:

    I have just get my passeport then no time to have a VISA,I'll programm with my friend a visit to Tunisia specially to sousse,we'll go to Marhaba Palace hotel and we'll spend there 5 days.

    It is great to be able to travel with your friend, and I am sure that you will have an amazing time. I wish that I had a friend who would travel with me!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,171 mod
    I have only been to Tunisia once a long time ago @mouna. I stayed in Hammamet but I visited Sousse one day. It looked very nice.

    In a couple of weeks I am going to Turkey for a week. I'm looking forward to it very much.
  • mounamouna Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge.I wonder to go to Turkey this year,may be on December,I have never been in this country.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,767 mod
    mheredge said:

    I have only been to Tunisia once a long time ago @mouna. I stayed in Hammamet but I visited Sousse one day. It looked very nice.

    In a couple of weeks I am going to Turkey for a week. I'm looking forward to it very much.

    Turkey has been a very popular destination in recent years. A lot of people who I know have chosen to holiday there recently.
  • mounamouna Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Paulette
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,171 mod
    @mouna Turkey is well worth the visit, even if you only have a short time. Istanbul is fascinating. I spent a couple of weeks once in December and still had not ran out of things to see after a fortnight there. In particular the mosques are exquisite.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,767 mod
    mheredge said:

    @mouna Turkey is well worth the visit, even if you only have a short time. Istanbul is fascinating. I spent a couple of weeks once in December and still had not ran out of things to see after a fortnight there. In particular the mosques are exquisite.

    How long would you recommend for a break in Turkey? I am currently wondering where to go next year and Turkey is high on the list, but I want to spend enough time there to see as much as I can!
Sign In or Register to comment.