Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

When you learn another wonderful language

Comments

• ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3
    I don't like the word 'manipulating' here since we all adjust our speaking and communication style depending on our personality, the message we want to put through and the emotional response we are looking for. We are all some sort of politicians and/or marketing people.

Speaking many languages makes it even more interesting since we can even mix different cultural aspects of these languages we know to the best effect.
    Post edited by Zom on
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
  • mounamouna Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭
    I'm jealous from people who could speak many languages.I think polyglots are lucky their life could be more easy,it seems there is a secret for these people.
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 755 OTT
    manipulate is an important work

the skill lies with the tradesman

@Zom

@mouna always a pleasure to hear from you
    edited June 3
    @jackelliot - It seems that they are dud sales people that you have the mental picture of.

As a tradesman, a sales person you could be a positive promoter of forward thinking and facilitating business with a plan and an idea and the process to achieve for the benefit of all. It's what a sales person does. Trading, selling is not forcing, nor duping people into making decisions.

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,130 mod
    I am enjoying learning Italian, even if I haven't got very far yet.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,386 mod
    I have decided not to learn any other wonderful languages anymore because I realise now that I don't have the ability and the talent to learn languages. :o
    @zom it has two differing meanings I hope that you note the difference

http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/06/manipulate.html

In both cases your definition seems to imply control or maybe the illusion of it. ^^
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,130 mod
    In terms of manipulative language, this is how you use words to persuade people to believe your point of view. In that way @Zom, you have every good reason to worry that it implies control.
    @mheredge with language @zom is correct to worry

but the word also can be used outside of language

the meaning there is not quite the same meaning
  • nidhiinidhii Posts: 819 ✭✭✭✭
    Desire to learn new language is a good habit. PEOPLE who are well versed with many languages have good memory also and in this way they learn different culture also and they have a broad view toward every issue as they have vast knowledge of different aspects which given to him by language learning. I know only two language. BUT i am keen to learn other language like French and Spanish but really i find it difficult to learn
  • macchecmacchec Posts: 11 ✭✭
    When there are many teammates at work from foreign country and they kind of keep together without willingness to cooperate, speaking mostly in their mother language. Thats where motivation turn up !
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭✭
    Words or phrases are invented to mean a specific thing at first. But then, there are always pioneers who try to apply newly invented words or phrases to something other than the initial case. That way, words or phrases gain new applications. They expand their meanings.

Come to think of this, it’s important for any learners of language to try intentionally to kind of break the words’ original meaning to see their possibilities. Let’s “play with words” to truly appreciate the world of language!