Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

The most important of all human qualities is a sense of humour.

SairaSaira Posts: 842 ✭✭✭
The most important of all human qualities is a sense of humour.I think without humour life is empty and boring, What do you think?

Comments

• ZomZom Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it helps not to take things seriously and keep enjoying life and the people around you.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,673 mod
    I find it interesting how differently people see the same thing and how 'sense of humour' can be very varied depending on culture and other factors.

I love the Polish and Russian dark humour. @Xanthippe, @dope?
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭✭
    In a conversation, a good sense of humor can very quickly break the so-called ice cream that is sometimes present between people.
    A humorous look at yourself and others creates a pleasant atmosphere in a company. However, humor must not be offensive or degrading. The use of humor is really an art to use correctly in the right place at the right time.
    Saga in The Bridge, the Swedish police series does not have a sense of humour. It is amusing how she tries to learn from her Danish colleague but gets it wrong as she does not know how to respond to people's attempts at being funny.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge I think Saga is always so strict and serious in all what she does.She is very conscientious, she wants to do it always perfectly, in a sense she doesn't understand any humour.
    She has some strange mental problems @Paulette. I think in series 3 (which I'm able to start watching), this might be revealed a bit more. In The Tunnel, the British version (using the Channel Tunnel instead of the bridge), the character Elise (based on Saga) is just the same.
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge, interestingly I have noticed that many jokes from former communist times are rather obscure for both younger Poles and foreigners. I tried to tell Lynne a joke about canned sardines and police (or rather milicja). Well, she didn't get it at first.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 354 ✭✭✭
    edited June 9
    > @mheredge said:

> I love the Polish and Russian dark humour. @Xanthippe, @dope?
    While I'm not one of them, probably I won't be annoying with these:

A court in session. A man has been just sentenced for murder.
    Judge: “Mr. Ivanov, are you ashamed for murdering that poor little lady? And all you got from her was only 10 kopecks!”
    Ivanov: “Approaches differ, your honour… Ten old ladies make a rouble…”

At the Ku Klux Clan headquarters:
    “How can I join the organization?”
    “Simple. Kill six darkies and a cat.”
    “What’s the cat’s fault?!”
    “Congratulations. You’re accepted!”

And old man is wandering a Soviet grocery shop and muttering: “No wine, no cheese, no butter…”
    A KGB officer approaches: “Off you go out, old fart, or I’ll strike you with my pistol!”
    “Got ya… no bullets either…”
    Xanthippe said:

@mheredge, interestingly I have noticed that many jokes from former communist times are rather obscure for both younger Poles and foreigners. I tried to tell Lynne a joke about canned sardines and police (or rather milicja). Well, she didn't get it at first.

What's the joke @Xanthippe? I wonder if with my warped sense of humour I might get it.
    @Practical_Severard, I adore this sense of humour.

– Откуда валюту взял? – задушевно спросили у Никанора Ивановича.

– Бог истинный, бог всемогущий, – заговорил Никанор Иванович, – все видит, а мне туда и дорога. В руках никогда не держал и не подозревал, какая такая валюта! Господь меня наказует за скверну мою, – с чувством продолжал Никанор Иванович, то застегивая рубашку, то расстегивая, то крестясь, – брал! Брал, но брал нашими советскими! Прописывал за деньги, не спорю, бывало. Хорош и наш секретарь Пролежнев, тоже хорош! Прямо скажем, все воры в домоуправлении. Но валюты я не брал!

На просьбу не валять дурака, а рассказывать, как попали доллары в вентиляцию, Никанор Иванович стал на колени и качнулся, раскрывая рот, как бы желая проглотить паркетную шашку.

– Желаете, – промычал он, – землю буду есть, что не брал? А Коровьев – он черт.

Всякому терпенью положен предел, и за столом уже повысили голос, намекнули Никанору Ивановичу, что ему пора заговорить на человеческом языке.

@mheredge,

'Milicjanci' i.e. police during the communist period would like to open canned sardines. So they knock at the tin and start crying:
    'Go out, surrender! You are under siege!'
    > @Xanthippe said:
    > @Practical_Severard, I adore this sense of humour.
    >

Thanks for this gem, @Xanthippe , Bulgakov is really a master of irony. The method is careful selection of words which mock the main theme. This makes a text extremely funny, but in a very subtle way. If you read in Russian, you may want to have a look at Chekhov, who wrote in the same style. "Тёща-адвокат" (Mother-in-law the attorney) for example:

...Это произошло в одно прекрасное утро, ровно через месяц после свадьбы Мишеля Пузырева с Лизой Мамуниной. Когда Мишель выпил свой утренний кофе и стал искать глазами шляпу, чтобы ретироваться на службу, к нему в кабинет вошла теща.

Just don't know whether there is a good Polish or English translation.

>

> 'Milicjanci' i.e. police during the communist period would like to open canned sardines. So they knock at the tin and start crying:
    > 'Go out, surrender! You are under siege!'
    Do you mean they were banging on empty sardine cans? But why would they like opening them? Or their using those empty cans made people brand them sardine-lovers?
    @Practical_Severard, I adore Chekhov too but I haven't read "Тёща-адвокат." Thanks for the recommendation. :) He is very gloomy sometimes. Well, I do read in Russian (this was my first foreign language so you can guess I am not very young ;) ). but now with some effort.
    I have found "Master and Margarita" in English but I cited it in Russian because much of the subtle irony you mentioned gets lost in translation. Translations aren't up to the original.
    E.g. I particularly like the expression: в качестве вампира-наводчика - typical Bulgakov. :)

As for 'milicjanci' - the can wasn't empty. They simply wanted to eat sardines but they didn't know how to open it. There are a lot of jokes like that - they illustrate how stupid the police was.

Another joke, this time about Soviets - 'you know we are besieged by the allies'.
    Or about the Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw (a present from the Soviet nation) - 'It is small but very elegant' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_of_Culture_and_Science

edited June 13
    > @Xanthippe said:
    >I do read in Russian (this was my first foreign language so you can guess I am not very young ;) ). but now with some effort.
    > E.g. I particularly like the expression: в качестве вампира-наводчика - typical Bulgakov. :)

Still, if you grasp the wittiness your Russian is still very good. One needs to know a lot of words to be able for this. At the post-WWII period the Polish culture was also in its peak of interest in Russia, like the science fiction novels by Stanislaw Lem and the fantasy by Andrzej Sapkowski. Barbara Brylska is still well-known because the film she starred in is still iconic.

> Another joke, this time about Soviets - 'you know we are besieged by the allies'.
    I can guess. I was used to read the blog by a Polish writer and translator from Russian Jerzy Czech. He mentioned several jokes of this kind.

> Or about the Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw (a present from the Soviet nation) - 'It is small but very elegant' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_of_Culture_and_Science
    The Soviet architecture was never small. The Russian one is much the same, though. A land empire loves big scale.