Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

a stunning mistake GCSE English literature exam

jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 737 OTT
edited May 27 in Humour
It would seem that people in England either cannot understand their own language or even of the ability of reading their English especially amongst their teachers, Professors and the English academic elite.

For in their GCSE English literature exam yesterday was a stunning mistake.

http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/05/a-plague-o-both-your-houses.html

@soupmantra @Monik, @april, @Shiny03, @aladdin, @mouna, @Hermine, @kratika, @nidhii, @Nippur, @ryoryu, @mhoz000, @mdshamsad, @filauzio, @abhishekb9099. @Paulette @Michouxe @Frank @takafromtokyo @Wirginia @chyijung @leigh01 @pridepoc @Saira @mouna @mohit_singh @mheredge @GemmaRowlands @Zom @Danesh @Yellowtail @NickTom @Deucalion @Pate @Goulart @Shishio13 @renanwillamy
@momochan @kindgnice @Saira @Zom @Xanthippe @mayk

Comments

• FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,953 mod
    “How does Shakespeare present the ways in which Tybalt’s hatred of the Capulets influences the outcome of the play?”

This was a question in an English Literature Exam in England.The Exam Board OCR obviously unsure as to the understanding of Shakespeare. This was a GCSE exam which is very important to all children in England.

Could you explain to us why exactly this is a strange question @jackelliot?
  • maykmayk Posts: 156 ✭✭
    The board already send their apologize to the student who take the exam and said that the student have nothing to worry about being disadvantage, and they are investigating as a matter of urgency how this got through their assurance processes.

The question is even in England make a mistake in English which is their own language, how much more in the other country that English is not their first language.

Everybody make mistake and testified the sayings Nobody is Perfect.
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 737 OTT
    > @Frank said:
    > “How does Shakespeare present the ways in which Tybalt’s hatred of the Capulets influences the outcome of the play?”
    >
    > This was a question in an English Literature Exam in England.The Exam Board OCR obviously unsure as to the understanding of Shakespeare. This was a GCSE exam which is very important to all children in England.
    >
    > Could you explain to us why exactly this is a strange question @jackelliot?

If you you knew Shakespeare

you would not know Why.

Why do you think it is strange

especially in an English exam?
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,041 mod
    @Frank, Tybalt was a Capulet, cousin of Juliet and rival to Romeo. So the question should have read:

“How does Shakespeare present the ways in which Tybalt’s hatred of the Montagues influences the outcome of the play?”
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    > @mheredge said:
    > @Frank, Tybalt was a Capulet, cousin of Juliet and rival to Romeo. So the question should have read:
    >
    > “How does Shakespeare present the ways in which Tybalt’s hatred of the Montagues influences the outcome of the play?”

I think most people wouldn't have noticed the mistake, they would have understand mechanically the family as the Montagues. Though, an examination task should be free of mistakes, I agree.
    You're right @Practical_Severard. Without an in depth knowledge of the play, whilst most people might remember it was the Capulets against the Montagues, it is remembering all the family relations. All the same, someone should have been checking before the question went out to the candidates.
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,953 mod
    edited May 31
    Pfff... Capulets... Montagues... I guess I would have failed the exam, or in this case... probably I might have been the only one that succeeded @jackelliot, @mheredge, @Practical_Severard.
    edited May 31
    > @Frank said:
    > Pfff... Capulets... Montagues... I guess I would have failed the exam, or in this case... probably I might have been the only one that succeeded @jackelliot, @mheredge, @Practical_Severard.

I guess you would have succeded, because you would have taken "the Capulets" from the question for the "Montagues", who they were in the play, mechanically, without realising it. I guess you know the general plot, don't you?
    edited May 31
    BTW, how many of the contemporary British adults can recite something from Shakespeare? Say, if one would wander the streets and ask random people to do it?
    You probably would have passed with flying colours if you'd read the play @Frank. It just looks like the person setting the question here either had forgotten or had never studied Romeo and Juliet at school.