Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Hermineˋs 5th issue

HermineHermine ModeratorPosts: 6,655 mod
edited May 26 in Your Writing
The eagle and the owl (Itˋs a Fabel)

An owl was a proud young mother of four. She told her friend the eagle how wonderful her babies were and didnˋt stop talking about their wonderful appearance. (Everyone of us knows how ugly just hatched owl kids look like. No feathers and their skin is wrinkled.)
The eagle had to promise her that he wouldnˋt eat her babies. We know how eagles like to eat such easy prey when mum and dad arenˋt at home.

One day he flew up and down whe he suddenly saw a nest full of owl babies alone there, sitting and waiting. He didnˋt think anthing bad when he catched them all and ate them off. Those babies were so ugly and no idea come up that those would be the one from his friend the young owl.

Later in the day the owl mum came home and saw that all her beloved babies were gone. She found some left feathers and called crying an old owl. She told her the whole story about the promise of the eagle. The wise owl asked the young owl : ˋ You really told him that your babies look soooo pretty. You know that isnˋt true!ˋ

The owl nodded she was now sure, she had exaggereded when she told the eagle about her wonderfully looking kids.

Whatˋs the moral of the story: Your nearest and dearest are the most wonderful creatures in the world for you, but donˋt forget that also for the others are their nearest and dearest are the most wonerful ones.

@Lynne, I couldnˋt find a suitable translation for ˋ Fabelˋ. Itˋs neither a fary tale nor a legend. Itˋs a matter of moral where mythical animal creatures play, such as: Reynard the Fox, Master Bruin, Master Hare, stork and so on.

Let me know if you know the proper English name for that kind of story and feel free if you want to correct my writing.
Post edited by Hermine on

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,063 mod
    Hermine said:

The eagle and the owl (Itˋs a Fable)

An owl was a proud young mother of four. She told her friend the eagle how wonderful her babies were and didn't stop talking about their wonderful appearance. (Everyone of us knows how ugly just hatched owl kids look like. No feathers and their skin is wrinkled.)
    The eagle had to promise her that he wouldn't eat her babies. We know how eagles like to eat such easy prey when mum and dad aren't at home.

One day he flew up and down when he suddenly saw a nest full of baby owls alone there, sitting and waiting. He didn't think he had done anything bad when he caught them all and ate them all up. Those babies were so ugly and no thought came into his head that they might be the babies of his friend, the young owl.

Later in the day the owl mum came home and saw that all her beloved babies were gone. She found some feathers left and called out crying to an old owl. She told her the whole story about the promise of the eagle. The wise owl asked the young owl: 'You really told him that your babies looked soooo pretty. You know that isnˋt true!'

The owl nodded she was now sure, she had exaggerated when she told the eagle about her wonderful looking kids.

What's the moral of the story? Your nearest and dearest are the most wonderful creatures in the world for you, but don't forget that also for others, their nearest and dearest are the most wonderful ones for them too.

@Lynne, I couldn't find a suitable translation forˋFable'. It's neither a fairy tale nor a legend. It's a matter of morals where mythical animal creatures play, such as Reynard the Fox, Master Bruin, Master Hare, stork and so on.

Let me know if you know the proper English name for that kind of story and feel free if you want to correct my writing.

@Hermine fable is the right word. I used to love reading Aesop's Fables when I was a kid. All the tales have a moral to the story that teaches a good lesson.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,655 mod
    @Marianne, youˋre right Aesop was so gerat. I love his stories too. As soon as the teacher will bring the books back to the library Iˋm going to pick our a special one, Iˋve already started to read. Short stories but their meanings are spot on. (by Aesop)

....and thanks for the correction. (die Fabel = German/the fable = English)