Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Jewellery. (with some words from the Vocabulary Challenge nr 41)

2»

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,907 mod
    april said:

One of my necklaces is my own creation, @GemmaRowlands . :)

Wow, that sounds wonderful. I wish I was creative with skills to make things like that, but anything I make is awful. It is even more special, then, if you are the person who made it.
  • SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    @april, no I am not changing every day but when I am going out or someone is coming, then I wear with my outfits.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,119 mod
    My jewellery collects dust as I hardly ever wear any.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,096 mod
    edited June 3
    @mheredge and @GemmaRowlands ,
    it was only a one-off whim. :)
    For me too @april. I was given some semi-precious stones and a kit to make a few things one Christmas when I was a teenager. I glued the stones with Araldite, a glue like superglue but sets rock hard.
    mheredge said:

My jewellery collects dust as I hardly ever wear any.

A lot of mine is collecting dust too, as I have too many pieces to wear every day. I have to make sure I keep them clean whenever I can though, as they can start to look dull if I don't do that.
    Yesterday I saw a jewellery box and decided it was worth the investment, as if nothing else it means the necklaces I was keeping in an open basket will no longer get dusty. Fortunately I don't have much that tarnishes @GemmaRowlands.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    When my daughter was fourteen I bought her a set of a pendant and earrings with Swarovski crystals being a business trip in the Netherlands. Not sure though, whether it counts as jewellery, probably the crystals (which are actually optical glass) are classified as _costume_jewellery_ Nevertheless, the gift was successful. She wore them for several years.

I remember that I asked the shop assistant's opinion if it was appropriate for a teenager girl. She said it was ok, probably, I shouldn't have expected any other answer in that situation.

One can't expose pieces with Swarovski crystals to water, e.g. taking shower wearing them. The crystals are glued in and can fall out. Rain and sweat are no problem, though. That's the difference from something made of precious materials which free its owner from taking care for them. Well, almost.
    > @april said:
    > @Practical_Severard , I've never been an owner of Tiffany's collection.
    > My jewellery is all from unknown designers. :)

Well, a piece of personal ornament is beautiful either due to the natural beauty of a precious stone or because of the talent of its designer. I remember great earrings made of cheap enamel we bought in a beach holiday in Croatia. Though the girl lost one earring afterwards, what lead her to a hard talk (actually, not one, but several of them) with the missus.
    mheredge said:

Yesterday I saw a jewellery box and decided it was worth the investment, as if nothing else it means the necklaces I was keeping in an open basket will no longer get dusty. Fortunately I don't have much that tarnishes @GemmaRowlands.

It's always worth keeping them in a safe place, I think. It is much better because it means that you can keep everything in one place - lots of items of jewellery have sentimental value, too.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,040 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You are a rich person then. :) @april

I like bracelets and rings. I wear both gold and silver rings with different gemstones. I love gemstones and whenever I visit northern areas of Pakistan, I especially buy gemstones as there is a big variety of fine quality gemstones. I wear daily two rings not more than that. Currently, I am wearing two gold rings one in each hand. One is engraved with turquoise and the other is with transparent topaz.
    I am, @Bubbly ! :)

I have to think of a present for a friend of mine.
    For her birthday.
    Do you think it's okay if I give her a silver necklace or a silver bracelet, guys?
    I really don't know what to give. :)
    She is not very young anymore though and I don't know whether she likes wearing silver's.
    > @april said:
    >
    > I have to think of a present for a friend of mine.
    > For her birthday.
    > She is not very young anymore though and I don't know whether she likes wearing silver's.

If your budget allows I would suggest pearls. They are traditionally worn by women who have got considerable life experience. Moreover, such women tend to stick with tradition.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,292 mod
    Why not buy her a nice scarf April? There are so many beautiful patterns, and you can work out what colours to choose from what she usually wears.
    Does she already wear jewellry @April? I'd be more inclined to go with Lynne's suggestion. Unless that is, she never wears scarves. Then I think @Practical_Severard's idea is good. Pearls are my preferred choice as a necklace for evening wear if I want to dress up.
    edited June 15
    @Practical_Severard , @Lynne and @mheredge ,
    To be honest, some time ago I bought a silver necklace and a silver bracelet, because they are beautiful and the shopkeeper said to me: "Buy both, and give them as a present for your friends."
    So I bought them and until now I still keep them. (I shouldn't listen to her, right? :) )
    So, maybe this is a good chance to make somebody happy with this? :)
    I could wear them myself because I like them all, but as you know I don't wear jewellery that much. :)

@mheredge , she wears jewellery.
    I like bracelets @april, but hardly ever wear them as they get in the way. I wear necklaces a bit more. I'm going to the opera house tonight for a concert in commemoration of last year's attack in Nice. I will have to dress up, so I will most certainly wear a necklace!

april said:

I am, @Bubbly ! :)

I have to think of a present for a friend of mine.
    For her birthday.
    Do you think it's okay if I give her a silver necklace or a silver bracelet, guys?
    I really don't know what to give. :)
    She is not very young anymore though and I don't know whether she likes wearing silver's.

Does she have her ears pierced? I always think that a set of nice, silver earrings are a good gift to give. I know that I have given similar gifts to my friends in the past, and they have always liked them.
    @GemmaRowlands , yes she sometimes wears earrings, but I'm not sure if she has her ears pierced. :)
    Have a nice evening, @mheredge . :)
    Last night I wore a necklace I haven't worn for a while @april. I had forgotten how soft the metal of the clasp was though, and it fell off twice! Fortunately both times I caught it before it fell off and in the end I put it in my bag as I didn't want to risk losing it. So much for looking glamourous!

The concert was amazing.
    > Last night I wore a necklace I haven't worn for a while @april. I had
    > The concert was amazing.
    What did they play, @mheredge ?
    Edith Piaf was a famous cabaret singer of the 1950s. Her songs are legendary in France @Practical_Severard. These are two of her most well known songs.

> @mheredge said:
    > Edith Piaf was a famous cabaret singer of the 1950s. Her songs are legendary in France @Practical_Severard. These are two of her most well known songs.

She's famous here too. The last one "Non, je ne regrette rien" was used in the local iconic TV series "Seventeen moments of spring" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069628/ . As well as her "Milord"

Edit Piaf singing is very powerful. I'm not sure about her songs sung by someone else, though.
    Ah this singer is amazing @Practical_Severard. She has a very powerful voice and her performance was astounding.
  • WirginiaWirginia Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marilyn Monroe sang that "Diamonds are a girl's best friend" and I think that is seed of truth... I have not many jewellery in principle I have only one ring with small diamond which I got from my husband and wedding ring and I wear them all the time. I assume that less mean more. Jewellery should underline woman's beauty and harmonize with her costume and doesn't make that woman looks like christamss tree. When I am a mum I consider that the best jewellery are hands my kid's hang on my neck.
    I don't count a watch, but if so, this is the only jewellery I ever wear. And then I'm very minimalist and wear the simplest, plainest black strap-silver coloured clock face.