Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Jewellery. (with some words from the Vocabulary Challenge nr 41)

aprilapril ModeratorPosts: 10,373 mod
edited June 5 in Your Writing
Diamonds are forever, sings Shirley Bassey.
Maybe, until somebody steals it of course.
Why do we, I mean: ladies, like to have jewellery?
To be honest, I can’t say that I like them.
I might love to see jewellery, but I don’t like to wear them.
I have a golden necklace and a golden chain with emerald pendant enclosed by small diamonds.
My mother gave me a pendant with ruby stone in the past.
I have also some golden bracelets and golden earrings with one or another precious stones.
Do I have sapphire? I think so.
So, I have quite a lot of jewellery and the most of them are gift.
I’m quite rich, ain’t I?
However, when have I worn them for the last time?
A long time ago!
I only keep them in a display case with red velvet lining and from time to time I open it and I’ll try my treasure and watch it in a mirror for a second.
Why don’t I wear them regularly?
Because I don’t go to a party very often.
Jewellery for me is not something that you’ll wear daily except a watch, but even this, I already swore off.
I use my cell phone to know the time now. :)
I’m not attentive enough to wear them every morning and free myself from them in the evening.
Sometimes I need to wear a brooch, but I always worry that I’ll lose them because the pin loosens very easy.
I did lose a couple of bracelets, unfortunately. :(
So, not only diamonds are forever but also any other of my jewellery will stay forever in my display case.

--------------------

Diamonds are forever, sings Shirley Bassey. Maybe, until somebody steals them of course. Why do we, I mean: ladies, like jewellery? To be honest, I can’t say that I like it. I might love to see jewellery, but I don’t like to wear it.

I have a gold necklace and a gold chain with an emerald pendant enclosed by small diamonds, and my mother gave me a pendant with a ruby in the past.
I also have some gold bracelets and gold earrings with one or other precious stones. Do I have any sapphires? I think so. So, I have quite a lot of jewellery and most of it was given to me. I’m quite rich, ain’t I?

However, when did I wear them for the last time? A long time ago! I only keep them in a display case with red velvet lining and from time to time I open it and I’ll try my treasures on and look at myself in a mirror for a second. Why don’t I wear them regularly? Because I don’t go to parties very often. Jewellery for me is not something that you wear daily, except maybe a watch, but even this, I have already stopped doing. I use my cell phone to check the time now.

I’m not attentive enough to wear jewellery every morning and free myself from it in the evening. Sometimes I need to wear a brooch, but I always worry that I’ll lose it because the pin loosens very easy. I did lose a couple of bracelets, unfortunately.

So, not only diamonds are forever but also the rest of my jewellery will stay forever in its display case.
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    Wow you have unimaginable treasures @april if you have a an emerald pendant with diamonds and gold chains. I think the most valuable items I possess are only silver and semi-precious stones like amber and lapis lazula! I used to make the effort to wear a necklace (nothing valuable) when I was working in an office, but these days, like you, I don't go to enough parties to glam up and wear jewellery.

https://www.gemrockauctions.com/learn/additional-gemstone-information/a-list-of-precious-and-semi-precious-gemstones-and-their-treatments
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 605 ✭✭✭
    > @april said:
    > Why don’t I wear them regularly?
    > Because I don’t go to a party very often.
    Why do you need a party to wear jewellery? One can wear it on everyday basis, at work or at home. Earrings with good locks don'r require any care. Most women are ok with rings too.
    I don't wear rings ever because if I'm walking and it's hot, my fingers swell a bit. I lost some gold studs I used to wear but as I'm allergic to anything other than gold, I tend not to wear ear rings much or for long as they irritate my ear lobes.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,373 mod
    There are a lot of reasons why I don't wear jewellery, @Practical_Severard .
    Party is only one of the excuses. :)

First of all, I'm too lazy, I forget to wear every time.
    Secondly, like @mheredge I'm allergic to a lot of things that sticks on my skin etc, etc. :)
    edited May 25
    > @mheredge said:
    > I'm allergic to anything other than gold, I tend not to wear ear rings much or for long as they irritate my ear lobes.

Why aren't people allergic for something cheap, while anything expensive is quite ok with them? My wife figured out she had the same allergy when she needed a tooth inlay installed. Her dentist replaced the cobalt-chrome alloy one that he had installed before with a golden one.
    edited May 25
    > @april said:
    > There are a lot of reasons why I don't wear jewellery, @Practical_Severard .
    > Party is only one of the excuses. :)
    >
    > First of all, I'm too lazy, I forget to wear every time.
    > Secondly, like @mheredge I'm allergic to a lot of things that sticks on my skin etc, etc. :)

Just think how great you'll look if you wear something nice ;) ! Several years ago I bought my daughter a pair of woven-gold Tiffany earrings in a duty-free shop at the Hong Kong airport. She liked them until she got something more attractive.

http://media.tiffany.com/is/image/Tiffany/EcomBrowseL/tiffany-twist-knot-earrings-33278675_935745_ED.jpg
    edited May 26
    > @april said:
    > Diamonds necklace emerald pendant ruby earring sapphire display case
    red velvet lining

Have you got a tiara, or have you ever worn one? Here brides sometimes wear them as an accessory to the wedding gown, but it's never made of precious materials. But as I've figured out the British women may sometimes wear them.
    Gold (and platinum - but this is even more expensive than gold) are inert metals, which is why people are not allergic to them @april . Silver tarnishes easily and I guess alloys too have all sorts of reactions to air.

I'm not to be trusted wearing anything too expensive @Practical_Severard as I almost always either break it or lose it. :)
  • SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    I have a lot of jewelry, I like jewelry very much since I was a teenager.
    I like jewelry is made of stones.I have lots of bracelets, rings, and earrings.
    My favorite things are rings and earrings.I have necklace's and bangles as well.
    I have golds rings with diamonds, rubies, sapphires, topaz, agate, pearls, and emeralds stones.
    I often wear three or four rings, and earrings matching with my clothes.
    My mother gave me a gold bangle with rubies, this one is my favorite. :)
    I really like when people wear nice stones with their outfits. :)
    If I wear any jewellery @Saira, it is almost inevitably with stones. I don't have any precious stones, but I love the semi precious ones especially for their colours.
    > @mheredge said:
    > I'm not to be trusted wearing anything too expensive @Practical_Severard as I almost always either break it or lose it. :)
    Well, some men would think that a woman like you is a good option as a wife or a GF.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,727 mod
    I have lots of jewellery, as my parents buy it for me for special birthdays, and I have a ring that my best friend bought me to wear as a sign of our friendship.
  • DeucalionDeucalion Posts: 621 ✭✭✭
    This ring I inherited form one of my ancestors.
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/ae/9d/7d/ae9d7d8483388f99ed44beb2f9f2cdbf.jpg
    They say that my ancestor took part in capturing the Dacian's King - Decebalus.
    Wow is it that old @Deucalion? It must be very valuable.
    Was it special created for your ancestors?
    Has it a special meaning?

Don't ever lose that, @Deucalion . :)
    edited May 31
    Do you wear your jewellery every day, @Saira ?
    The same ones or differents ones every day?
    Post edited by april on

I have lots of jewellery, as my parents buy it for me for special birthdays, and I have a ring that my best friend bought me to wear as a sign of our friendship.

Do you wear them daily, @GemmaRowlands ?
    april said:

Do you wear them daily, @GemmaRowlands ?
    I wear some of the items every day, but some are very special, so I only wear them for special occasions. I go to the gym a lot so I don't like to wear my nice things there.
    > @Deucalion said:
    > This ring I inherited form one of my ancestors.
    > https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/ae/9d/7d/ae9d7d8483388f99ed44beb2f9f2cdbf.jpg
    > They say that my ancestor took part in capturing the Dacian's King - Decebalus.

It's of unique design, very nice.
    > @april said:
    > http://media.tiffany.com/is/image/Tiffany/EcomBrowseL/tiffany-twist-knot-earrings-33278675_935745_ED.jpg
    >
    > Wow, those are really nice earrings, @Practical_Severard !
    > No wonder that your daughter liked them! :)

Tiffany knows how to design jewellery. Though all their key and heart pendants.. pfff total garbage.
    @april, FADs is turning into a session on Thursday at 5pm (I still need to check it's in the calendar) and I was thinking we could talk about jewellery and why people wear it!
    mheredge said:

@april, FADs is turning into a session on Thursday at 5pm (I still need to check it's in the calendar) and I was thinking we could talk about jewellery and why people wear it!

Starting tomorrow, @mheredge ?
    edited June 1
    @Practical_Severard , I've never been an owner of Tiffany's collection.
    My jewellery is all from unknown designers. :)
    Post edited by april on
    > @mheredge said:
    > Wow is it that old @Deucalion? It must be very valuable.
    It's a fortune.
    > @april said:
    > Was it special created for your ancestors?
    > Has it a special meaning?
    >
    > Don't ever lose that, @Deucalion . :)
    I think so. It's meaning is that my ancestors had lion hearts.
    april said:

@Practical_Severard , I've never been an awner of Tiffany's collection.
    My jewellery is all from unknown designers. :)

I think that's great, as it gives other designers a chance to shine rather than just the most well known ones.
    One of my necklaces is my own creation, @GemmaRowlands . :)
    Oh @april why didn't you tell us you have made your own jewellery? I made a few things when I was a kid and keep meaning to have a go again as I really enjoyed making and then wearing my own creations. In particular I had a pendant I was especially fond of.
    Why do we wear jewellery?
    Many of us wear jewellery every day without a second thought, but it’s an interesting question considering how this habit of jewellery wearing began. What was the meaning of jewellery to our earlier ancestors and how did the history of jewellery wearing begin?

It seems that the history of jewellery began around 75,000 years ago, which is the approximate date of the first known jewellery pieces that have been found. The earliest pieces of jewellery were animal hide, leather or reeds decorated with things like animal teeth, bones, feathers, shells, pebbles and berries. Amongst the prehistoric findings existed crude necklaces, bracelets and beads. What possessed our ancestors to make these objects?

Any answers can only be theories, but human nature today and our documented history may help to uncover the reason why the human race likes to adorn their bodies with jewellery.

Once “lower needs” like basic survival needs are satisfied, there are “higher needs” that begin to rear their heads

The famous Maslow pyramid of our Hierarchy of Needs shows that as humans, we have several layers of needs that have to be met in order for us to feel fulfilled with our lives. At the very basic level are our physiological needs, like hunger and thirst. Above this is our need to ensure our safety, which would have involved our ancestors building shelter and finding ways to stay safe from predators. Beyond these basic levels begin some of our higher needs, and precisely these may have contributed to the rise of jewellery wearing.

One of our higher needs according to Maslow’s pyramid is our “social needs”, which also include our romantic interactions to some extent (although romance also falls into a slightly lower level need to reproduce).

Many animals have natural inbuilt displays to attract the opposite sex. One of the most famous is the peacock with its spectacular fan of colourful feathers. It may be that jewellery was our ancestors’ equivalent to the peacock’s feather fan. It may have played a part in attracting more attention of mates in early humans. Certainly a human decorated with something would logically draw more attention than a fellow unadorned human. Wearing jewellery may well have started as an attempt at beautification and attempting to enhance attractiveness for the purposes of securing a mate.
    It is interesting to note that many of the body locations where we wear jewellery even today are strongly sexual:
    • Necklaces draw attention towards the breasts
    • Earrings direct the eyes to the erogenous region of the ears
    • Belly rings attract the eye towards the belly button, another strongly reproduction-related part of the body connected to the location of the growing baby and its birth.
    • Wearing jewellery as a sign of social status

The higher human need for social and self-esteem fulfilment sometimes comes with a desire for positive social recognition and status.

In the early prehistoric times, jewellery might have been seen as a novel, creative innovation, marking the wearer as a type of pioneer. Perhaps someone who was clever enough to create jewellery with tools was also a dab hand at using tools for more practical things which would have raised their status in society.
    As the history of jewellery progressed through time and more ornate materials began to be used, the significance of jewellery shifted from a display of “usefulness in society because of creative skills”, to become an expression of wealth and success, another quality that demonstrated social status. The richer the family, the more ornate the jewellery, with kings and emperors being the most opulently decorated.

Again, the need to exhibit wealth and social status can be linked to the more basic need of attracting a mate. Giving expensive gifts of jewellery was also associated with people of high status. Although it can purely be a symbol of your love for a person, it could also be a symbol of a provider’s capability to take care of their mate financially.

Social status is not only associated with wealth, success and skill, sometimes it’s also to do with “who you know”. Jewellery served its role here too as group members marked their affiliation with a certain group by wearing matching jewellery. Ancient groups and societies have done this in the past, and in modern times, groups like university fraternities may still wear jewellery for this purpose. The need to affiliate with a group in this way is partly for securing a certain social status and partly to secure our need to belong. Best friends or couples who each wear half of a heart on a pendant to demonstrate their relationship are demonstrating their joy at fulfilling their sense of belonging.

Wearing jewellery to satisfy the need of self-expression:
    As our ancestors became more self-aware and began thinking more about who they are and their identity as individuals, jewellery became a means of self-expression; a means of showing the world more about who they were.

Professor Zilhao, professor of paleolithic archaeology at the University of Bristol notes that since prehistoric times, age, sex, family, clan affiliation, status and more may have been communicated through jewellery.

Today jewellery is still used as a means of self-expression. The designs you choose can be delicate or bold, colourful or subdued, intricate and expensive or economical and simple. Symbols on pieces of jewellery each carry their own meaning too, projecting a message about you to the world, whether you send out this messages intentionally or not. In a way, jewellery can be seen as a small reflection of a person’s personality.

Not only can wearing jewellery be an act of expressing who you are, giving jewellery can also serve as a way of telling people how you feel; expressing your love and affection for a person with a gesture rather than with words, or even expressing your emotions through a piece of jewellery’s colours and symbols.

Wearing religious symbols in jewellery is another type of self-expression, this time of your devotion and beliefs. It may additionally serve the purpose of helping a person feel more connected to the divine and it acts as a reminder to them to stay on their religious path.

For thousands of years, human beings have attached significance and meaning to certain gemstones, metals and pieces of jewellery. The Ancient Egyptians made many amulets and talismans with all sorts of imbued magical and supernatural powers.

Some jewellery pieces were purposefully made with gemstones or beads that were said to be good luck, whilst others were believed to have powers of healing, or serving other more specific purposes from enhancing well-being to bringing love into your life, or even to protect you from serpent bites or thunderstorms.

Religious pendants can also be used by people for protective purposes. For example jewellery with the image of Saint Christopher, the saint of travellers are sometimes worn by people who go on expeditions to shield them from harm’s way, and some people who work in the emergency services wear Saint Jude jewellery, the saint of lost causes and desperate situations, in the hope that it would improve the chances of survival of some of the people they are trying to save.

The concept of the birthstone also arose, as well as the theory of crystal healing and chakra colour therapy, all of which can utilize the wearing of jewellery. Some of these ancient beliefs in the power of crystals, gemstones and metals still exist to this day.