Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Sushi worm!

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 28,171 mod
I love sushi. Those delicate flavours of raw fish or vegetables, dipped into a mixture of horse radish and soy sauce, maybe with some pickled ginger are for me a perfect lunch box if I'm on the fly.

But this article is enough to make me think twice! It seems that worms call Anisakis when eaten by a fish, burrow themselves into their host’s gut wall. Then when this fish is eaten, the worm adopts its new host, working its way up the food chain and into your salmon sashimi.

@Yellowtail, @Shiny03, @takafromtokyo what do you think? Or should I just say: “I’d like the mackerel sashimi please, well done.” Maybe I shouldn't say: “Waiter, my noodles are moving.”

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2017/may/14/sushi-parasite-worm-fish?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=226024&subid=11006640&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
Tagged:

Comments

• HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,695 mod
    OMG I feel so sick. The problem is the fish is served raw.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,171 mod
    I so love raw fish @Hermine but after reading this, I'm a bit afraid. The article suggests the risk is much higher in Japan though. So I'm interested in hearing what @Yellowtail, @takafromtokyo and @Shiny03 have to say on the matter.
  • MichouxeMichouxe Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like Sushi, but my son find Sushi very tasty, he eats it many times as a meal! I can not tell anything about this Sushi food, I have tasted but really it's not my taste!
    Worms in Sushi ???
    A couple of years ago, we where on holiday to sea and we wanted to eat fish, we went to the fish shop where we always go, a well-groomed shop. But, at noon I take the fish out the paper, a beautiful white fish ... .. but what sees my eyes a very little worm ... ..I had completely not hungry anymore.
    Worms in Sushi, it can happen. :s I'm afraid it can happen In all the food! Bad luck!!!!
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The disease caused by anisakis is called the herring worm disease because this worm many times was found in herring and this disease occurred also several times in Europe before the 1960s. But then, there was the obligation to keep caught sea fish twenty four hours on -20 °C before it could be sold and since then the disease is no longer in Europe.
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
    The article says,'It’s more common in Japan', really? I've never heard of any cases of parasitic disease from sushi. I wonder if it's just because they are not well reported. But anyway, I think it's very rare.
    Fish prone to worms, such as salmon, were originally not used for sushi or sashimi. (Salmon is in fact considered by us a newcomer to sushi world from western.) And today they must be pre-freezed before served. I think other fish, such as tuna, can not have worms.
    Thank you @Yellowtail for restoring my confidence in sushi! I sometimes like to buy the fresh tuna I see in the market which I love to eat raw or only quickly seared in a very hot pan.

I have been eating quite a bit of squid. I can't get over the many varieties that are available: octopus, 'seches' or a small type of squid. There are several names for the various kinds in French but I'm not sure in English there's so much distinction. (I'm not sure the British eat much squid or octopus).
    @mheredge
    I also like squid, and sometimes make it sashimi by myself. Squids sometimes have worms, which look like rice grains sticking to the surface of the squid. I get rid of them if I find, although I'v read they do not harm to humans.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,767 mod
    I have never tried sushi, because the fact that it is raw fish puts me off. But I am sure that it tastes delicious, and I wish that I was brave enough to try it.
  • mounamouna Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭
    The first time I eat sushi is two years ago in my friend's party.I liked it,it looked new food for me.In my country this food isn't famous and we find it in some restaurant in some big cities.
    I once had some delicious sushi in Tashkent @Yellowtail, which seemed a very unlikely place to find this kind of food especially in the mid-90s when I was there with some friends. The fish was flown in especially as Uzbekistan is a landlocked country a long way from the sea.

• BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,074 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    raw fish! :o what does it taste like?
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All fish have parasites with them, actually, I think all creatures have parasites with them. Do you know that some parasites even make fish look and taste delicious and very few of them can be transferred to human?
    Oh, yes, admit it! It's natural and normal. My only suggestion is to eat seasonal fish in the right place. @mheredge Have a sushi date with me?
    Raw fish tastes very good @Bubbly but it has to be very fresh. And I think you need to know what you're eating as like @Shiny03 says, most if not all have some sort of parasites which as you don't cook the fish, might not be good for you.

So @Shiny03 what kind of sushi do you propose for our sushi date?
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 754 OTT
    @Yellowtail I like sushi but I also like cakes
    mixing the two would be marvellous
    http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/06/a-potato-salmon-cake.html
    @jackelliot
    Are these photos your cooking? It seems very good! I agree with you that boiling bones is good way to make soup.
    I bought some nori today, which is a red seaweed with a mushroom flavour that can be rehydrated and just added to food. There were lots of packs of Breton seaweed but they seemed only for making fish stock. I prefer eating it.