Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Cyberattack

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 26,145 mod
A new type of warfare? What lays behind these attacks? Already there have been stories about how hackers have been distorting the democratic process. This attack seems to go further. For example, the British NHS was crippled with a result that operations had to be cancelled, people were left waiting for treatment and chaos reigned supreme.

The Ransomware attack is being described as 'like having a Tomahawk missile stolen', according to Microsoft boss Brad Smith. He says that the ‘WannaCry’ virus attack that locked up to 200,000 computers in 150 countries is a ‘wake-up call’ amid fears that more will be hit during the coming week.

Malicious software believed to have been stolen from the US National Security Agency is believed to have been responsible (it begs the question what the NSA were doing with this in the first place) was used to cause havoc across the world.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/39/Opstanding_van_het_Kaas-_en_Broodvolk_in_Haarlem_in_1492_NCRD01_054759498.JPG

Have you been affected? What are your thoughts on this new form of terrorism? What do the hackers expect to gain from these attacks?

Comments

• gokergoker Posts: 65 ✭✭
    I haven't been affected yet and i hope i will not be affected. But nearly 60 computers have been affected in Turkey. I think this kind of attacks are supported by some people. Also terrorism is supported by governments therefore i think there are governments in this attack.
  • gokergoker Posts: 65 ✭✭
    @mheredge Does the effect of the cyberattack continue there? Is British NHS still not working?
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,145 mod
    I think it suffered a setback for about a day @goker but the worry is that there may be more attacks like this and older systems like the ones used by organisations like the NHS are especially vulnerable.

I saw a report that suggests the attacks are linked to North Korea but I never know what to believe these days.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭
    Finally, you made a new discussion about cyber attack. I was thinking but I couldn't do as I am using my mobile for accessing this forum.

Now we could get important information regarding malware and ficious stuff of internet. I don't wanna_ cry! :dizzy:
    @mheredge @goker
    I am sure this year UPSC mains exam would have one question related to Cybercrime or cyber attack as a threat to a country as well as an individual organisation.
    I am sure we have lots of I.T guy on the forum who can enlighten us on this issue. ;)
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,029 mod
    Keep calm and go on!

A few months back two or three hotels were hacked and all their bookings were lost. The hackers wanted money.
    Iˋm not sure, what the hosts did, but apparently the police was powerless and wouldnˋt catch those criminals.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,100 mod
    A car park was affected here.
    The ticket machine didn't work and people were allowed to drive away for free.
  • Shishio13Shishio13 Posts: 94 ✭✭
    I run on Linux :P \o/
    I bet the motorists were happy about the hackers @april. It seems that the hacking attack was for ransom, which I suppose means that this one was just a warning of things to come. But if governments or corporations start paying up, I wonder where it will end.

I wish I could run on Linux @Shishio13. I dabbled with it for a while but just found it raised more problems than it solved and not being much of a techie (understatement of the week), I ended up reinstalling Windows. Windows 10 I hate with a passion as every time it updates I have to find different ways to repair the damage this does to my sound settings. Apparently it's a very common problem. But it wastes a lot of time especially as the same fix doesn't always work the next time.
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 698 ✭✭✭
    One problem is many big non-tech organizations like NHS are still using some Windows XP machines. It is no longer supported by Microsoft, unless you pay a fee for the special custom support (although this time they released an emergency patch for free).
    'You have to pay us an extra fee if you don't want to be affected by ransomwares'. Oh, it sounds like a ransom too! :lol:
    It seems that the NHS is still not out of the woods and at least two hospitals are having to continue to divert patients to other places.

http://www.nhs.uk/alerts/Pages/reported-NHS-cyber-attack.aspx

After wasting several hours yet again fixing my audio problems that seem to result every time Windows 10 updates @Yellowtail, I can understand why some users might want to hang on to older versions of Windows!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,917 mod
    I think it's worrying, because people who can hack into computers basically have the power to steal money, identity, etc. I do get scared by that sometimes, I will admit.
  • Shishio13Shishio13 Posts: 94 ✭✭
    @Yellowtail I read an article which stated that at least eighty percent of worldwide ATM's run in WinXP.

@mheredge You may install in the same machine two or more operating system, in my case I have Windows and a Linux distro (Mint) and I can choose in which SO booting.
    I seem to remember having this set up once but I ended up having to return to Windows when the Ubuntu operating system kept glitch in on me @Shishio13. But the problems I keep experiencing with my audio and Skype every time there's an update makes me wonder whether I should try again with Linux.
    edited May 21
    Why don't you find a youtube video and stop further update in windows? You can stop it.
    @mheredge
    I am searching @mohit_singh. But first I need to find a way to fix my Skype. I thought it was working fine after all the fixes I tried last week but this morning I find the one command it doesn't seem to recognise is /golive!
    mheredge said:

I seem to remember having this set up once but I ended up having to return to Windows when the Ubuntu operating system kept glitch in on me @Shishio13. But the problems I keep experiencing with my audio and Skype every time there's an update makes me wonder whether I should try again with Linux.

I don't like Windows as an operating system at all. I moved to iOS a few years ago, and I have never looked back, as it works so much better for me.
    I think I have managed to block future updates from Windows 10 @GemmaRowlands. But the hassle they have given me every time they update is not far off a cyberattack!
    mheredge said:

I think I have managed to block future updates from Windows 10 @GemmaRowlands. But the hassle they have given me every time they update is not far off a cyberattack!

I'm not sure how they can be so far behind other companies when it comes to ease of use, because so many others are a lot better to use, and more comfortable, and update easier..
    The trouble is that when you buy a new laptop, unless you get a Mac, you are lumbered with Windows 10 @GemmaRowlands. Though I have a new laptop, I bought it just a few weeks before Windows 10 was released. I blame Windows, but I think there must be something in the laptop that makes it misbehave every time there's an upgrade.
    mheredge said:

The trouble is that when you buy a new laptop, unless you get a Mac, you are lumbered with Windows 10 @GemmaRowlands. Though I have a new laptop, I bought it just a few weeks before Windows 10 was released. I blame Windows, but I think there must be something in the laptop that makes it misbehave every time there's an upgrade.

Yes, and that is why I always buy Macs these days. I find them much easier to use, and I don't think I would ever go back to any other kind of machine now!
    I was thinking about it last year when I had to replace my laptop. The price put me off a bit but I think my next one will probably be a Mac @GemmaRowlands. Then I can always travel around with this one, which I won't be so worried about if it gets lost or damaged while I'm on the road.
    mheredge said:

I was thinking about it last year when I had to replace my laptop. The price put me off a bit but I think my next one will probably be a Mac @GemmaRowlands. Then I can always travel around with this one, which I won't be so worried about if it gets lost or damaged while I'm on the road.

Yes, they are pricey. But I believe that overall they are more than worth it.. as my macs have survived for much longer than any of my other machines in the past have.
    I was telling a friend that I worry about bashing an expensive laptop around when I'm travelling or worse still, having it stolen. He told me he bashes his Macbook around all the time but it's very resilient. @GemmaRowlands. I suppose I'd be more afraid that it's highly nickable, but then I could always cart around the less valuable Lenova.
    mheredge said:

I was telling a friend that I worry about bashing an expensive laptop around when I'm travelling or worse still, having it stolen. He told me he bashes his Macbook around all the time but it's very resilient. @GemmaRowlands. I suppose I'd be more afraid that it's highly nickable, but then I could always cart around the less valuable Lenova.

Yeah they can put up with quite a lot, it would be theft that I would be concerned about rather than damage.. but if you have insurance, and anything important is backed up, it shouldn't be too bad.
    True @GemmaRowlands but it can be very difficult sometimes to claim anything on insurance. Have you ever had to do this? I only have had experience a long time ago for something that wasn't very expensive and I think the insurance paid up without a quibble.
  • ridorridor Posts: 25 ✭✭
    bad thing
    It looks like there have not been any cyber attacks on the British General Election campaign. I wonder if the attackers felt sorry for Britain and thought they were in a big enough mess already?
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,040 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    A cybercrime law has been approved by the parliament to take actions against these malicious cyber attacks. But, no implementation yet! I feel this is beyond our understanding that what's going on in technology that is invisible to us.
    mheredge said:

True @GemmaRowlands but it can be very difficult sometimes to claim anything on insurance. Have you ever had to do this? I only have had experience a long time ago for something that wasn't very expensive and I think the insurance paid up without a quibble.

I have learned from my mistakes with insurance - you should always read the small print when signing up, as there are all sorts of things that they don't cover you for. I have never actually had to claim any major amount, but I would like to think that if I did, it would be okay.